Around the NHL – Part XL - Mod post page 249

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Honestly stuff like this is pushing me away from the sport. If it's more of the same lopsided calls that do the Rangers in during the playoffs, i'll be taking a break 100%
If you’re like me, you will say this but not really mean it.

I continue to watch the Rangers and get invested in their success despite my entire rational brain telling me how dumb it really s to do so.

It’s basically an addiction.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

If you are serious about taking concussions out of the game, its a lot more than open ice hits to the head.

To me, this is a perfect example of a play that didn't need to happen.

You have a scrum on a wall and even though Watson wasn't skating full speed into that area, he sure came in there with intent to inflict some damage. He could've pulled up instead of destroying a guy who's in a prone position, standing still, with no momentum, who's trapped against the wall. It doesnt always have to be from behind or an unsuspecting skater in open ice.

So you can say it isnt a charge (I think it is and thats how it was called on the ice, and after the crew has a chance to look at it), but it was unnecessary to follow through with such force. He drove him really hard to inflict some hurt, to send a message or just to blast a guy.

He also left his feet. The principle point of contact was the head. Im sorry. You can say Motte is shorter and that is why, but Watsons trajectory is upwards. If it was a straight check his head wouldnt have hit the glass with such force. You are essentially saying that this is a good play and has its place in todays game. If this were Crosby or McDavid, you are cool with that NHL? Ok. Sure.

And im not going to play favorites. If that was Trouba, i'd want him suspended for that. Many of his other hits were open ice bombs that players have skated into. Thats part of the game and its bang bang. Watson has time to make a decision here. Plenty. Its not all about the head-contact. Its about protecting a player who cant protect himself.

This isnt the first time Watson has left his feet and hit a guy facing him, in a prone position on the wall. He got two games for this hit. While it's worse than the Motte hit, it shows he has a pattern of this behavior targeting players in a position to be rocked, whether you want to determine Motte's hit away from the play or not.

Im not going to get all butthurt about it from the Rangers standpoint, it is what it is. But what drives me nuts is the hypocrisy. You want to protect players in this league, these are the hits/players where you start.

Last edited:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida

This move is unreal. I don't think there has been or will be a skater as skilled as this.

He totally "set them up". Don't believe that was reactionary, but you never know with him. I mean, he's been double teamed so often, that there must have been a similar situation prior and said to himself......if that happens again, I'll just do this. Amazing.

Reactions: egelband

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Dryden Hunt on the move again. Poor guy should just leave his suitcase packed at all times.

Greenway for a 2nd and 5th?

Does anyone know what Minnesota is doing? I sure don't.

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
I don’t follow what that means. Is she saying if he’s not put on LTIR, we won’t be allowed an emergency call-up? If so, that seems reasonable.

LTIR exists for a reason. But if she’s saying that the NHL isn’t going to allow the Rangers to use LTIR, which I don’t believe she’s saying, then the Rangers should just forfeit the next game and take another massive fine from the league. Dolan can afford it, and we all already know he’s not a fan.
Another? When did they forfeit a game? I know you're joking but which fine?

Last edited:

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
If you’re like me, you will say this but not really mean it.

I continue to watch the Rangers and get invested in their success despite my entire rational brain telling me how dumb it really s to do so.

It’s basically an addiction.
Sad but true

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Dryden Hunt on the move again. Poor guy should just leave his suitcase packed at all times.

Greenway for a 2nd and 5th?

Does anyone know what Minnesota is doing? I sure don't.
He fell out of favor there and they need cap space. They are bogged down by like $10M in dead money starting soon.

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
You have to play short a game before getting an emergency recall. The Rangers in the NHL’s mind didn’t play short last night.

So tomorrow’s game with Motte out will be the first “ official game” we play short a man to then get the emergency recall in the next game.
We've been playing short for a while now. As usual league changes rules when it comes to nyr. WWE has been more legit than the NHL for many years now. I take NHL games with a grain of salt .

Reactions: CLW and egelband

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Like in my cousin Vinny when the whole store had the flu the entire Rangers should "have the flu" and not show up tomorrow. It's a joke to have to play another NHL game 11/5.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Greenway to Buffalo, wish we had a player like that

Honestly, I'd rather have picked him up than Kane for as crazy as it sounds. I know there's no possibility because of cap.

Kane is putting more chocolate on a chocolate cake (well, maybe vanilla is the better analogy), while Greenway is the dough, cream, etc.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
So a few trade deadline observations:

-Hextall got both guys I went to bat for all season (Kulikov and Bonino)....what does this say about me? LOL

-Brendan Lemieux to the Flyers is the most "perfect" thing ever. Doubled in that him and his loudmouth buddy DeAngelo are reunited.....I say nothing more and leave the rest to Twitter.

-Winnipeg did decent getting Neidereiter and Namestnikov. They can now form the All "Complain About New York" checking line with Morgan Barron. They might have enough depth if they can win a round and get Perfetti back for a run.

-Minnesota did very well. Hellybucyk's the best goalie in the West, but if Fleury can turn the clock back for a few weeks, they have enough fire power to do some damage. Zuc needs to show up in the playoffs this year.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Toronto has quietly had a very good deadline. Adding the right types of players for their roster building. They know deep down they're losing Matthews next summer. This year is their shot.
They're about three years too late but I totally agree it's the right thing for them to go all-in and they have chosen their pieces well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad