Around the League Thread | The one where the NHL once again is the worst.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Oilers have to buyout Campbell and take the long term pain for short term gain. The window is the next two years with McDavid/Bouchard/Drai expiring contracts you gotta free up everything you possibly can.
I do wonder what Drai opts to do. Does he lock in without certainty from Connor or would he even contemplate a 1 year deal to match Connor's UFA? So, that if Connor changes his mind, he doesn't end up stuck there or having to wait to get a trade done.

If they didn't deal for Henrique, would they have been willing to part with 2024 and 2025 1sts to move the Campbell contract? But, really, at this point no choice but to buy him out.

There just isn't a lot of internal help on the way up. Also moved picks to dump Kassian contract.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Oilers have to buyout Campbell and take the long term pain for short term gain. The window is the next two years with McDavid/Bouchard/Drai expiring contracts you gotta free up everything you possibly can.
Buyout Nurse, buyout or trade Campbell and Kane.

Take a run at Guentzel and Tanev.

Reactions: supercanuck

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Thank goodness the panthers won

I couldn’t handle getting married the same year as the oilers winning the cup.

My parents got married when the flames won the cup so it would be a double whammy for our family
Same! I'm getting married in October and it would be just icky getting married the same year as the Coilers.

I am so so happy for Luongo and Maurice. Maurice got the shit end of things here in Winnipeg with a GM that doesn't know wtf he's doing.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
a bunch of them are lamenting the fact that it was "prison rules" but they literally got the most gifted call in stanley cup finals history with the tkachuk penalty
Wait a minute. Do people think the Tkachuk trip shouldn’t have been called? Are they only supposed to call intentional trips?

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
No cap, but there were a lot of legendary moments at the cup lifting. Everything else aside, you have to be so happy for them.

f*** Nick Cousins though!

Reactions: vanuck

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
McDavid played 4:34 of the last 5:34 of game 7. Edmonton has absolutely zero depth. Admittedly, would be impressive if McDavid dragged the Oilers to a championship
That's really not a depth issue.

It's G7 of the SCF. 5 minutes left. You have Connor McDavid. You're saying you're not going to put him out there as much as humanly possible?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

You are forgetting that at the end of the day these players have to live in Edmonton and that does play a pretty big factor, especially with McDavid only signed for two more years—are you signing up for 7 years in Edmonton where the precipitous fall could come in two years?

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Same! I'm getting married in October and it would be just icky getting married the same year as the Coilers.

I am so so happy for Luongo and Maurice. Maurice got the shit end of things here in Winnipeg with a GM that doesn't know wtf he's doing.

My oilers friend apparently was drunk as a skunk yesterday at our local watering hole. His face was red, some Florida fans were talking shit and he was barking off at them.

He’s not taking the loss well.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
You are forgetting that at the end of the day these players have to live in Edmonton and that does play a pretty big factor, especially with McDavid only signed for two more years—are you signing up for 7 years in Edmonton where the precipitous fall could come in two years?
Purely thinking from Edmonton's standpoint. There needs to be more urgency in ridding the inefficient or purely bad contracts and allocating more money on quality depth if they want to make a serious run at another cup.

But yeah, it's an uphill challenge as you say to get top tier UFA's, Overpay for guys like Marchessault or Toffoli if you have to.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Purely thinking from Edmonton's standpoint. There needs to be more urgency in ridding the inefficient or purely bad contracts and allocating more money on quality depth if they want to make a serious run at another cup.

But yeah, it's an uphill challenge as you say to get top tier UFA's, Overpay for guys like Marchessault or Toffoli if you have to.

If they don't buy out Campbell they are deeply unserious.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

They would see the dead cap for Nurse after the first 2 years and know they are sunk after the first 2 years and living in EDM. Tanev, he's closer to retirement, so he could do it. JG, not so much.

Nurse, the final 4 years are basically all SB, $1.2 mill in salary. So, no cap savings. That's why his buyout cap charge is nearly equal to his cap hit after the first 2 seasons. That's where the savings is, the next 2, then it's all dead money.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
The Oilers are not going 95% on the PK ever again.

It felt like the stars aligned for them this season and this was as good a shot as they could have hoped for. The west is still open for the next couple seasons so I am interested to see how they address their roster.

Thankfully, their collective management group fumbled about as hard as you possibly can, because that core should be winning multiple championships.

As timw33 stated, they have 2 years until Drai/McDavid/Bouchard/Ekholm contracts are up at which point they will have to make some tough decisions.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If there's any inkling that McDavid won't resign then this is the way to go. Somehow convince Drai to sign a 1 year extension and have 2 more cracks at the Cup.
If you are Drai, you really don't want to ink long term without McDavid there too. But, what does a 1 year deal look like? $14 or $15 mill? Talking about 1 of his remaining prime years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad