Around the League Thread | The one where the NHL once again is the worst.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
This is a lesson that continually needs to be re-learned on this board: dumping cap is extremely hard during the summer because most teams are trying to get better and use their cap space not take on bad contracts. And year after year this is proven correct. And I get that this was worse in the flat cap, but even with a rising cap, other than one or two teams, no team wants to acquire a 3-5 million dollar player that is worth far less than that based on their play.

So, anyway, looking at Mikheyev, it is becoming increasingly more clear that the Canucks are probably not going to get rid of him because its going to cost our 2025 first, and I doubt management is willing to make that trade. And this has always been the case, and many posters on here have been far too optimistic on management's ability to dump Mikehyev this summer.

Hope I am wrong on this.
Nope you will proven right unless they do the wrong thing and decide to give him a 2nd chance vs paying Joshua who actually deserves the money and was effective. Nobody would dare take 1 goal in 60 plus games for almost 5 million. You can bet your ass the discussions started with either another horrendous contract or our 1st rounder

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Good players play well through injuries. Or, in McDavid's case, great players. This was one of the things I was getting at when Pettersson disclosed his injury and many posters were excusing, either partially or entirely, his play because of his injury. We shouldn't, of course, ignore injuries, but the reality is that most players are playing through some form of injury in the playoffs, and to just arbitrarily excuse some performances and not others is unreasonable.
McDavid is just on a different level than everyone. Drai basically disappeared in the final once shot fizzed away due to a broken finger. Turns out certain injuries at specific spots can really hamper what you can do.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
McDavid is just on a different level than everyone. Drai basically disappeared in the final once shot fizzed away due to a broken finger. Turns out certain injuries at specific spots can really hamper what you can do.
Drasaitl, seemingly, had a broken rib (likely suffered in the Canucks series) and a broken finger. He didn't entirely disappear in the playoffs although definitely played his worst series against Florida. But Drasaitl's play throughout the playoffs was several tiers above Pettersson. Pettersson's play was abysmal in the playoffs, and Drasaitl literally scored at double the pace. And its not just stats because Drasaitl also just looked way better than Pettersson. Of course its tough to compare injuries but there isn't really any reason to believe that Pettersson was more injured than Drasaitl. And if we are being realistic, Drasaitl is easily the better player anyway, but the concerning thing is how much worse Pettersson was in the playoffs.

Reactions: Flik

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Drasaitl, seemingly, had a broken rib (likely suffered in the Canucks series) and a broken finger. He didn't entirely disappear in the playoffs although definitely played his worst series against Florida. But Drasaitl's play throughout the playoffs was several tiers above Pettersson. Pettersson's play was abysmal in the playoffs, and Drasaitl literally scored at double the pace. And its not just stats because Drasaitl also just looked way better than Pettersson. Of course its tough to compare injuries but there isn't really any reason to believe that Pettersson was more injured than Drasaitl. And if we are being realistic, Drasaitl is easily the better player anyway, but the concerning thing is how much worse Pettersson was in the playoffs.

Draisaitl was a monster in the Canucks series (presumably playing with that broken rib) and much better in that series than McDavid.

I can't comment on the last 2 series because I barely watched them.

Draisaitl scored 31 points in these playoffs playing hurt. It isn't on the same planet as Pettersson's no-show.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Screenshot_20240625_142249_Reddit.jpg

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Yeah Draisaitl didn’t disappear with a broken rib and then once he lost his shot probably due to his finger, he “disappeared”.
Reality is injuries at spots where it affects a player’s core ability to do something will affect performance as much as people like you want to think they can just play through it and believe in the whole mind over body BS.

Draisaitl was a monster in the Canucks series (presumably playing with that broken rib) and much better in that series than McDavid.

I can't comment on the last 2 series because I barely watched them.

Draisaitl scored 31 points in these playoffs playing hurt. It isn't on the same planet as Pettersson's no-show.
Point is once Drai got another injury where it affect his shot, he was gone.
It’s like yeah, he played well despite having a broken rib, shoutout to Myers for that contribution but once he had an injury that affected his ability to shoot, he was done.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Yeah Draisaitl didn’t disappear with a broken rib and then once he lost his shot probably due to his finger, he “disappeared”.
Reality is injuries at spots where it affects a player’s core ability to do something will affect performance as much as people like you want to think they can just play through it and believe in the whole mind over body BS.

No, he never disappeared though. I watched most of the finals and you can't remotely compare Draisaitl's play to Pettersson. Like, it isn't even close. Perhaps from a stats perspective there were some similarities comparing the entire playoffs of Pettersson to Drasaitl's finals, but if you watched the games, their play wasn't comparable at all.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Lots of speculation that Crysaitl will leave at the end of his deal. That loss yesterday had far reaching implications. It could mean the end of a potential contention dynasty for McDrai.

Wasn't there a report from idiotstick when they reached the Finals that Draisaitl and McDavid had indicated they wanted to stay long term and re-sign? Or was that a fever dream?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Lots of speculation that Crysaitl will leave at the end of his deal. That loss yesterday had far reaching implications. It could mean the end of a potential contention dynasty for McDrai.

Normally I'd agree, but Oilers actually got pretty close, DAMN close, despite having had a horrendous start to the season. If they missed playoff or got knockout in 1st/2nd round, Draisaitl would likely be gone. But the way the season ended for them, depending on how the team plan their next moves and how they'll sell it to him, Draisaitl could very well extend.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Wasn't there a report from idiotstick when they reached the Finals that Draisaitl and McDavid had indicated they wanted to stay long term and re-sign? Or was that a fever dream?
Drai is up first.... Would you sign for term when Connor can't and might change his mind. You can always demand a trade out, but that is harder to do to fit a deal under the cap as to match cap hit someone making big money has to go the other way and EDM is right up there in the NTC list.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
No, he never disappeared though. I watched most of the finals and you can't remotely compare Draisaitl's play to Pettersson. Like, it isn't even close. Perhaps from a stats perspective there were some similarities comparing the entire playoffs of Pettersson to Drasaitl's finals, but if you watched the games, their play wasn't comparable at all.
Yeah because every injury is bloody different and affects each player differently. Also there is a difference between having an injury for like a series(broken finger)or like 3 series (broken ribs) vs carrying a knee injury since January.
His hand injury affected his shot enough that it affected his ability to shoot and he ended up with 2 pts in the finals.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Yeah because every injury is bloody different and affects each player differently. Also there is a difference between having an injury for like a series(broken finger)or like 3 series (broken ribs) vs carrying a knee injury since January.
His hand injury affected his shot enough that it affected his ability to shoot and he ended up with 2 pts in the finals.

I don't know what your point is, but you are entirely wrong if you think Draisaitl played in the finals as poorly as Pettersson played in the playoffs. Of course we have no idea how bad their injuries were, or how much their injuries affected their play, but on the face of it, it doesn't look like Pettersson's injuries were worse.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I mean he is going to ask for 15M and he should. The oilers won’t be able to ice any depth with him, McD, Bouchard, Nurse taking up like 50M.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't know what your point is, but you are entirely wrong if you think Draisaitl played in the finals as poorly as Pettersson played in the playoffs. Of course we have no idea how bad their injuries were, or how much their injuries affected their play, but on the face of it, it doesn't look like Pettersson's injuries were worse.
How do you come to the conclusion “on the face of it, it doesn’t look like Perry’s injuries were worse” when it’s known that people with jumpers knee can barely walk.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Barkov didn't seem the same player to me after Draisaitl's elbow to his head (but maybe my perception is wrong). That move actually had more of a positive impact for the Oilers as any of their other players not named McDavid imho.

Reactions: BimJenning

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Apparently the Oilers got pretty banged up by the Canucks in their physical 2nd round series against Vancouver.

f***ing Pettersson...Draisaitl was crippled and still put up a ton of points. We got one f***ing goal out of him

Barkov didn't seem the same player to me after Draisaitl's elbow to his head (but maybe my perception is wrong). That move actually had more of a positive impact for the Oilers as any of their other players not named McDavid imho.

It absolutely did and it's the main reason they took control in the 2nd half of Game 3. f***er knew what he was doing..

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I think he stays for sure now. Canucks could’ve made him leave though. Huge blown opportunity

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Red Wings dealing Walman and a 2nd for future considerations was not on my bingo card.

Wonder what's coming.
What a bizarre move...Yzerplan am I right?

He's obviously clearing cap space for something. But it seems hard to believe he had to pay to get off of Walman. He was playing top-pair minutes on a $3.4M deal. Seriously, no one wanted him? When teams are going to go spend even more than that on equivalent UFAs?

Reactions: BimJenning

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
They are in cap trouble and really only have one year left on their window. Draisaitl has 1 year left, Conner 2 years. They have to buy out Jack Campbell and Nurse is an absolute albatross. This may be as close as this core gets, but let's be real, Conner McDavid wins a cup *somewhere* in his career, right?
If he goes to merica he will get atleast 3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad