Around the League Thread | The one where the NHL once again is the worst.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The thing is, I think Yzerman is fine as a GM. The contracts he's signed UFAs to won't handicap them and I usually like their draft targets. He's trying to get them competitive while slowly integrating younger players and build a proper core. But his body of work in the last three off-season has been unimpressive and, unless the young players all step up this season, they look to be another middling tweener-playoff team.
Unless you got lucky in the draft lottery or were able to land elite talent at your draft position, then you are going to have to make a trade or signing to really turn things around. I can't really argue with anyone that Yzerman drafted in round 1. Last 2, really hard at the moment to say what Kasper/Danielson will do, but they don't seem like 1st liners, probably 2nd liners. And I thought Wallstedt was the better option in net in 2021 over Cossa.

Late first at like 26 for DCat was a solid move.

Again, I think the make/break for Yzerman is how well his scouts did in rounds 2-3 in that span from 2019-2023. Going to need like 3 Forwards to be middle 6 guys and 2 to be #3-5 Dmen.

Reactions: Vector

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
am i missing something? why do ppl care so much about whether yzerman sucks?

it’s not like he’s edmonton or calgary or toronto or chicago or boston or messier or… i just don’t see a reason to gaf

It seems to me a number of people are jilted because there was a certain admiration/desire recently from some posters about Detroit's rebuild situation (draft picks, cap space) compared to ours. Now that we had a real upturn and after the Hronek trade people are laying into Yzerman and calling him down in a franchise comparison. To me it's just an organization that tried an almost longer term Benning style rebuild. Obviously, hasn't worked to date but I find them an interesting team with some good parts. Not sure if every situation needs to mocked though. Like Columbus has really had some strange things go on there.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad