Around the League Thread | The one where the NHL once again is the worst.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Will Panthers management even be able to be part of the festivities/parade? They have to be at the draft for Friday.
What a shit show. Bettman probably loves the fact that this leads to levelling the playing field but it's really unfair for players and management to have such a short timetable to get things in order without spending the Finals preparing vs just enjoying the spoils of what they worked so hard to create and for players and agents focussing on hockey not business

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The Oilers are not going 95% on the PK ever again.

It felt like the stars aligned for them this season and this was as good a shot as they could have hoped for. The west is still open for the next couple seasons so I am interested to see how they address their roster.

Thankfully, their collective management group fumbled about as hard as you possibly can, because that core should be winning multiple championships.

As timw33 stated, they have 2 years until Drai/McDavid/Bouchard/Ekholm contracts are up at which point they will have to make some tough decisions.

They have $10M in cap space and need an entire bottom-six forward group, if I'm seeing that right? Yeesh.

I would say "at least their defense" is signed, but that includes Darnell Nurse making $9.25M per year...holy shitballs, every time I see that, I can't believe how bad it is.

Reactions: Bojack Horvatman

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
They have $10M in cap space and need an entire bottom-six forward group, if I'm seeing that right? Yeesh.

I would say "at least their defense" is signed, but that includes Darnell Nurse making $9.25M per year...holy shitballs, every time I see that, I can't believe how bad it is.

The tough decisions already started - they gotta think about extending Bouchard and Draisaitl. Bouchard should command something like 10 mil easily, and Draisaitl...14 - 15 mil? Or do they plan to walk into contract years with both unsigned?

Correct me if I'm wrong but...when I look at our team's contract, most of them don't look too bad? I mean we have Poolman's LTIR and OEL's buyout, plus that useless plug Mik, outside of those most contracts look more or less OK.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The tough decisions already started - they gotta think about extending Bouchard and Draisaitl. Bouchard should command something like 10 mil easily, and Draisaitl...14 - 15 mil? Or do they plan to walk into contract years with both unsigned?

Correct me if I'm wrong but...when I look at our team's contract, most of them don't look too bad? I mean we have Poolman's LTIR and OEL's buyout, plus that useless plug Mik, outside of those most contracts look more or less OK.
Thanks. I almost forgot about the flipping poolman until you reminded me of that #6 D.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

They can’t even buyout Nurse either. Significant savings the first 2 years( 10.5m and 8.5) but zero and negative savings after that. Right when Mcdavid is due a contract. They will have zero to negative savings if they buy it out in 2 years as well. Giving someone that had 1 good year that buyout proof contract is Benning level GMing, let alone when it was a flat cap.

Reactions: BimJenning

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
Will Panthers management even be able to be part of the festivities/parade? They have to be at the draft for Friday.
The look in Zito's eyes made me think maybe he's had a gallon of coffee or so. He did bawl his eyes out at all times on the ice during the celebrations so that explains the sniffing during interview.
And their parade is on Sunday and you're not allowed to talk to UFAs until monday :sarcasm:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

A rising cap the next few years will definitely help them out, but yeah - a lot of key guys due big raises after this coming season.

Have to think a Campbell buyout is on the cards, and maybe another cap saving trade or two? But where do you even start?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
The look in Zito's eyes made me think maybe he's had a gallon of coffee or so. He did bawl his eyes out at all times on the ice during the celebrations so that explains the sniffing during interview.
And their parade is on Sunday and you're not allowed to talk to UFAs until monday :sarcasm:

I think you spelled "cocaine" wrong.
:sarcasm:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Called McDavid being hurt some time ago, and not surprised at all it's something abdominal. He was rarely shooting the puck. Makes what he did all the more freakish.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Oilers would have been interested in Ulmark especially if they could have included Campbell.
Can't trade while still playing. But, gave the teams 3 off days before the draft due to the scheduling. But, EDM doesn't have their first anyways, and Boston didn't have a pick in the first 3 rounds, so wanted something this year I would imagine to space out their prospects.

Edm would have had to retain 40% $2 mill to get it to match Korpi but 1 year less. But, I doubt Boston was interested in $4 mill backup to swayman.

hlrsr

Sep 16, 2006
Man, MAN I am glad the Oilers lost. I would never hear the end of it.

That said, as much as I think it's a joke that their franchise has McDavid at all, I have to give this particular team and their run some credit.

They had clearly matured into a team that was capable of winning a championship. While everyone expected them all along to unravel, not commit to defense, and have their depth fail them, they managed to tighten up, have an unbelievable PK, and just get the job done to win 2 elimination games vs us, take out Dallas, and come back from 0-3 in the final.

They were legit this year despite the adversity. Yes they got some bounces along the way (not playing against Demko) but every team needs that for a long run.

But I am glad they lost. And I hope they can't repeat.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
If you are Drai, you really don't want to ink long term without McDavid there too. But, what does a 1 year deal look like? $14 or $15 mill? Talking about 1 of his remaining prime years.

If they do buyout Nurse/Campbell, then probably max? Need to compensate him for not signing long term in exchange for an extra chance at a cup. It's a tough one. Personally I would just take the money and leave. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
IMG_1377.jpg
So Clendening huh?

You are forgetting that at the end of the day these players have to live in Edmonton and that does play a pretty big factor, especially with McDavid only signed for two more years—are you signing up for 7 years in Edmonton where the precipitous fall could come in two years?
Anything can happen in the playoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: BimJenning

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

Called McDavid being hurt some time ago, and not surprised at all it's something abdominal. He was rarely shooting the puck. Makes what he did all the more freakish.

Good players play well through injuries. Or, in McDavid's case, great players. This was one of the things I was getting at when Pettersson disclosed his injury and many posters were excusing, either partially or entirely, his play because of his injury. We shouldn't, of course, ignore injuries, but the reality is that most players are playing through some form of injury in the playoffs, and to just arbitrarily excuse some performances and not others is unreasonable.

Reactions: BimJenning and MS

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
How could they find no one to pay a low pick to acquire a totally serviceable #4/5 mobile defenceman making 3.4MM x 2 years?

Just totally bizarre that it's not Holl, Maata, or Chiarot being dumped.
This is a lesson that continually needs to be re-learned on this board: dumping cap is extremely hard during the summer because most teams are trying to get better and use their cap space not take on bad contracts. And year after year this is proven correct. And I get that this was worse in the flat cap, but even with a rising cap, other than one or two teams, no team wants to acquire a 3-5 million dollar player that is worth far less than that based on their play.

So, anyway, looking at Mikheyev, it is becoming increasingly more clear that the Canucks are probably not going to get rid of him because its going to cost our 2025 first, and I doubt management is willing to make that trade. And this has always been the case, and many posters on here have been far too optimistic on management's ability to dump Mikehyev this summer.

Hope I am wrong on this.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Good players play well through injuries. Or, in McDavid's case, great players. This was one of the things I was getting at when Pettersson disclosed his injury and many posters were excusing, either partially or entirely, his play because of his injury. We shouldn't, of course, ignore injuries, but the reality is that most players are playing through some form of injury in the playoffs, and to just arbitrarily excuse some performances and not others is unreasonable.

Reminds me of the time when Jordan put up 38 points after he got food poison and was offloading from both ends of his body.
now_otd_0611JordanFlu2_cr__1296x729.jpg

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
How could they find no one to pay a low pick to acquire a totally serviceable #4/5 mobile defenceman making 3.4MM x 2 years?

Just totally bizarre that it's not Holl, Maata, or Chiarot being dumped.
Holl would have likely cost a 1st. He's awful
Dont tell Puckmunchkin this he's been on a campaign for load management and excusing arbitrarily the players he likes from any responsibility

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad