Around the League Thread | The one where the NHL once again is the worst.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Screenshot_20240625_071116_Gallery.jpg

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I had a buddy travel to Florida for the game. Hope he can pay off his credit card by the end of the year

#Ouch
My cousin spent nearly 8 thousand dollars (for 2). Guy is in good spirits this morning and will make a vacation out of it.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Don’t get me wrong, I thought McDavid should have won.

But I’m surprised Bobrovsky was 4th in voting, and only garnered three votes in total.

Hyman, Bouchard and Skinner (!!!!) getting any votes, even 3rd place ones, is kind of crazy, too.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Really did not care either way. If they won they took advantage of their road to the finals. If they lost I didn’t think they could have beaten the prior cup winners and were not as good as TB, LV, Col for example.

They had way too many defensive zone mistakes. Nurse had giveaways but the 2 goals against you had Bouchard leave the front of the net unprotected with an expiring penalty. Not aware of the situation.

Ceci couldn’t skate backwards on the second goal. Thus allowed behave to build up speed and attack the net. No communication with kulak and Ceci as kulak played it as if it was a 2 on 1 instead of a 2 on 2 with Foegle covering the wide winger. But also Drai pulling a McDavid deep in Fla zone trying to get the puck vs be responsible defensively as the C and 3rd man high and back off.

Reactions: BimJenning

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I feel such relief. I couldn't even watch the playoffs much or come on hfboards. I was considering not watching hockey anymore. That is how much I didn't want the Oilers to win.
SopelFanThe3rd admitted to me via PMs that he'd rather have the Canucks go 8-74 with all 8 wins against the Oilers than 74-8 with all 8 losses against the Oilers in a regular season.

:sarcasm:

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
McDavid played 4:34 of the last 5:34 of game 7. Edmonton has absolutely zero depth. Admittedly, would be impressive if McDavid dragged the Oilers to a championship
Yeah, they really ground him into dust. Dude was making a lot of mistakes last game that I usually don't see him make. Things that are usually simple for him would just result in a turnover.

Reactions: Zippgunn

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I was on a cross Canada flight during Game 7 and when the captain announced the final score there was an audible groan from almost everyone but me smirking and fist pumping at 36,000ft.

The absolute most picture perfect result.

We know all too well that it's not so easy to just "roll it back" the next year and expect to go deep. There were so so so many things that have to break your way to even get the slightest sniff at it and I don't think Oilers fans understand that they likely just witnessed the closest chance they'll get at winning a cup in the McDrai era. Too many big expiring contracts on the horizon, too many anchor contracts, no internal depth coming, no prospects, no picks.

No one in Canada/Canadian Media was giving us the level of support that the Oilers received this playoff run, so with no due respect: **** the Oilers.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No one in Canada/Canadian Media was giving us the level of support that the Oilers received this playoff run, so with no due respect: **** the Oilers.
Oilers gave up basically 2 firsts to get Ekholm, their 2022 and 2023 firsts plus another first in 2024 to get Henrique. Massive miss not drafting Wallstedt (G) over the F (Xavier B.). Wallstedt not helping during McDrai 2nd contract, but if they end up signing 3rd contracts with Edm, he'd be their goalie, but with their history of goalie development, not a sure thing.

Up front it's Holloway and XB or bust really. Not a whole lot left in the system right now. And XB not exactly a great season in the A.

The $20 mill next season they count for they cap overages/buyout $5.3 mill plus the $14.25 mill for Nurse/Campbell, not ideal. The cap overages come off the books after next season, but that's when Drai and Bouchard need new deals.

Don't think Henrique added much to Edm in the PO.

Reactions: Fraser28

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Oilers gave up basically 2 firsts to get Ekholm, their 2022 and 2023 firsts plus another first in 2024 to get Henrique. Massive miss not drafting Wallstedt (G) over the F (Xavier B.). Wallstedt not helping during McDrai 2nd contract, but if they end up signing 3rd contracts with Edm, he'd be their goalie, but with their history of goalie development, not a sure thing.

Up front it's Holloway and XB or bust really. Not a whole lot left in the system right now. And XB not exactly a great season in the A.

The $20 mill next season they count for they cap overages/buyout $5.3 mill plus the $14.25 mill for Nurse/Campbell, not ideal. The cap overages come off the books after next season, but that's when Drai and Bouchard need new deals.

Don't think Henrique added much to Edm in the PO.

Oilers have to buyout Campbell and take the long term pain for short term gain. The window is the next two years with McDavid/Bouchard/Drai expiring contracts you gotta free up everything you possibly can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad