Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
greatest local example is the grizzlies passing on steve nash. they didn't take him seriously as a player. it was nothing to do with him being local.

It was a little more complicated than that. Suns wanted Nash for the 4th overall and Bryant Reeves. That's a massive ask when trading a point guard you just upgraded on and had only drafted 6 months prior.

Reactions: wetcoast

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Grizzlies had #3 and took Shareef, so no issues there. They had pick #22 and took Roy Rogers. Not sure if they felt they could sit and wait for Nash there or whether they were not able to move up to grab him.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It was a little more complicated than that. Suns wanted Nash for the 4th overall and Bryant Reeves. That's a massive ask when trading a point guard you just upgraded on and had only drafted 6 months prior.
i was talking about his draft year. i should not have stated it as a fact though. let's call it an opinion.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
greatest local example is the grizzlies passing on steve nash. they didn't take him seriously as a player. it was nothing to do with him being local.

if we had taken nash instead of shareef that would have been one of the craziest (and obviously in retrospect correct) instances of reaching for a hometown kid ever

i mean, not just reef look at the other guys who were younger, were more distinguished going into the draft, and good in the league much faster that you’re leaving on the board: ray allen, starbury, antoine walker, freakin’ kobe

Reactions: Vector and racerjoe

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
if we had taken nash instead of shareef that would have been one of the craziest (and obviously in retrospect correct) instances of reaching for a hometown kid ever

i mean, not just reef look at the other guys who were younger, were more distinguished going into the draft, and good in the league much faster that you’re leaving on the board: ray allen, starbury, antoine walker, freakin’ kobe

they could have traded down.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Reef was a freshman. Pretty sure only Kobe was a HS kid. Others were also FR or So in college.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
i meant younger than nash. iirc he played four years at santa clara right?
Nash was a SR. Mid 90’s was when college kids came out much earlier than before. Used to be JR’s would come out then it went down to So and then FR and HS. Kids needed development.

Plus the game in the 90’s was more in the paint. And this very physical.

I think a trade up from the Rogers pick was more logical. Not sure what Van could have given to the holders of pick 13/14 to swap picks.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
@MS @arttk Just going to ask the first two sophisticated hockey fans I can think of

How far away is Columbus from competing ?
First you're going to have to predict a handful of 18-20 year old players becoming impact players at the level of around Pettersson/Hughes over the next few seasons. If that doesn't pan out, you need to predict the teams yet to be taken 1st round lotto picks will pan out as such.

Unless you're lucky enough to land a Connor Bedard this isn't really something you can put a timeline on.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
First you're going to have to predict a handful of 18-20 year old players becoming impact players at the level of around Pettersson/Hughes over the next few seasons. If that doesn't pan out, you need to predict the teams yet to be taken 1st round lotto picks will pan out as such.

Unless you're lucky enough to land a Connor Bedard this isn't really something you can put a timeline on.
Agreed. I mean if Jake and OJ panned out but Petey/hughes didn’t Canucks are no where. Best case was a Hamhuis or maybe a Tuch but that doesn’t take you into PO consistently. So cbj turning sillinger or Johnson into something isn’t as impactful as if Fantilli/Lindstrom/Jiricek hit.

CBJ really, don’t think they see PO til like 2027 if those kids get close to where they hope they get. But very hard to guess.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Columbus built their arena on a former prison site where hundreds of people had died in a fire. It sure seems like that franchise is cursed. There’s plenty of articles around the internet suggesting that the arena district has long had some weird vibes around it.

Besides the terrible run of hockey stories — they already have had major tragedies like 13 year old Brittanie Cecil passing away from a slap shot that went into the stands, to Matiss Kivlenieks passing away at a team party from a stray firework.

This would just be another sad chapter in their team’s history. Hope it’s not true.

Reactions: wetcoast
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad