Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I was hoping that the reports would turn out to be false. What a tragedy.

Rest in peace Matthew and Johnny. May your loved ones find the strength to recover from your passing.

Last edited:
Reactions: BimJenning

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Terribly tragic. I still don’t understand how someone could be driving so reckless as to hit them front behind with enough force to kill them. As an avid cyclist it’s very scary but it’s also just hard to believe.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Terribly tragic. I still don’t understand how someone could be driving so reckless as to hit them front behind with enough force to kill them. As an avid cyclist it’s very scary but it’s also just hard to believe.
A well known cyclist in the community lost his life to a drunk driver who had double the BAC and was apparently ripping up Burnaby Mountain at 140km/hr. The killer only got 30 months in jail which was reduced to 24.

It's a massive risk to be cycling in this day and age and the laws do not absolutely deter dangerous driving practices which include drunk driving. Jail + vehicle impoundment for a lengthy amount of time should be commonplace.

Reactions: quat

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Just woke up to this…was hoping last night that it just wasn’t true. Awful news.

RIP to Johnny and Matthew, and thinking of their family right now. Just brutal, awful news.

Last edited:

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
RIP. Although it was tough to watch him burn the Canucks time and again with his dazzling skills, he remains my favorite non-Canuck late-round draft pick for overcoming his lack of size to become an elite player.

Hope that MF endures every bit of pain in prison.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ugh. Haven’t woken up to a gut punch like this since Jose Fernandez in 2016. The news about their sister’s wedding is just … man. And two very young children who will never know their father. f***.

Road biking is the most low-key deadly sport in the world. I had an ex who was a hardcore road biker and I tried to get into it for her and it was absolutely terrifying having cars you couldn’t see whipping by inches away from you. Tried for a couple months, had a couple near misses and said f*** that. She’s been hit by cars twice now, I have another friend who was destroyed by a car and lucky to live, have driven past a couple more cycling fatalities. In a world where drivers are so terrible it seems so crazy to be so exposed to outcomes like this.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Ugh. Haven’t woken up to a gut punch like this since Jose Fernandez in 2016. The news about their sister’s wedding is just … man. And two very young children who will never know their father. f***.

Road biking is the most low-key deadly sport in the world. I had an ex who was a hardcore road biker and I tried to get into it for her and it was absolutely terrifying having cars you couldn’t see whipping by inches away from you. Tried for a couple months, had a couple near misses and said f*** that. She’s been hit by cars twice now, I have another friend who was destroyed by a car and lucky to live, have driven past a couple more cycling fatalities. In a world where drivers are so terrible it seems so crazy to be so exposed to outcomes like this.

Let me preface this by saying: the drunk driver who tried to overtake the vehicle on the right hand side is 100% at fault.

And also—having cycled on many rural roads here in upstate New York, I would never choose to ride at-or-past sundown on roads like this. We know how bad drivers are, we know people drink and drive, we know that the rate of DWIs goes up significantly after 9-5 work hours. The decision to be cycling then by itself is questionable. That they were hit is definitely not their fault. It is though the sort of thing where it is easy to think to yourself after the fact—why even take that risk with others?

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
f*** man. Don’t event know what to say. Heartbreaking on so many levels. Really enjoyed watching him over the years.

Might be OT, but the the legal BAC is too high. But to legally allow people to have 3-4 drinks (which is already a lot) and expect them to make the right decision to stop when the decision-making part of the brain is compromised i madness. Responsible people will make plans before driving but not everyone is responsible. Doesn’t help that alcohol is so engrained in our society and that a large number of people drink after work.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Devastating news to wake up to. Everything about the story is tragic and terrible

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
As someone who lives near the NJ border and frequently drives NJ interstates and small highways on the weekends, it's a deadly combination of narrow lanes, poorly designed turn offs and exits and drivers with hair trigger tempers and zero patience. I echo @MS 's sentiments that road biking is dangerous, especially in NJ.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Let me preface this by saying: the drunk driver who tried to overtake the vehicle on the right hand side is 100% at fault.

And also—having cycled on many rural roads here in upstate New York, I would never choose to ride at-or-past sundown on roads like this. We know how bad drivers are, we know people drink and drive, we know that the rate of DWIs goes up significantly after 9-5 work hours. The decision to be cycling then by itself is questionable. That they were hit is definitely not their fault. It is though the sort of thing where it is easy to think to yourself after the fact—why even take that risk with others?

They were cycling close to home. You can do a route 99 times with no issues and get lulled into a sense of comfort due to the familiarity of the route. You often don't think about the risk until a crash or near miss occurs.

There's people in the cycling community that go along 80-100km/hr traffic in our region.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad