Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
All of the stories coming out about Gaudreau are also just heartbreaking. I briefly met him at Blue Water Cafe last year because Gudbranson organized a team dinner there, and he was incredibly nice and talked with two of the people I was with from Calgary. What a shame.

I'm trying to think of similar circumstances where I've been this gutted about a public figure's death, and it's hard to come up with one because it plays to my own fears. I cycle nearly every day and I echo the other sentiments about being worried about cars, so I do my best to take quiet streets with limited traffic.

I get what you are saying, but my point is that the risk that materialized wasn’t even a risk that a cyclist reasonably could be expected to materialize because of the time or weather of their ride. I 100% agree that depending on the time and type of roads you ride on you are increasing the risk of injury or death.

But a drunk driver passing on the f***ing right isn’t really in the realm of reasonably foreseeable outcomes.

Like, and I know this is a hyperbole, but only to demonstrate my point, no one would say that the people attending or walking by the Lynn Valley library a few years ago that were stabbed to death were knowingly partaking in a dangerous activity.
Yeah, from the police report, it definitely sounds like the driving maneuver was primarily influenced by aggression. Of course, drinking contributes to aggression, but I see tons of aggressive drivers and I'm pretty sure >95% of them aren't drunk during the day.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
All of the stories coming out about Gaudreau are also just heartbreaking. I briefly met him at Blue Water Cafe last year because Gudbranson organized a team dinner there, and he was incredibly nice and talked with two of the people I was with from Calgary. What a shame.

I'm trying to think of similar circumstances where I've been this gutted about a public figure's death, and it's hard to come up with one because it plays to my own fears. I cycle nearly every day and I echo the other sentiments about being worried about cars, so I do my best to take quiet streets with limited traffic.

Yeah, from the police report, it definitely sounds like the driving maneuver was primarily influenced by aggression. Of course, drinking contributes to aggression, but I see tons of aggressive drivers and I'm pretty sure >95% of them aren't drunk during the day.
And passing on the right isn’t just normal or even excessive aggression, it’s quite extraordinary.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Just a brutal tragedy.

They really really need to up the punishments for drunk driving

It will never change in this continent due to the lobbyist that have instilled the belief that man has a RIGHT to own a vehicle and drive, rather than it being seen as a privilege. You need a full societal shift in the mindset but that will never happen. Vehicles are getting bigger and faster and roads in many rural and suburban communities are designed to allow vehicles to achieve a high rate of speed.

Lat

Oct 12, 2005
Terrible tragedy, especially given the circumstances around his sister's wedding. I hope they throw the book at the perp.

I've always liked Johnny Hockey even though he's torched the Canucks so many times. He's been in my keeper pool since his rookie season on the Flames.

Reactions: LordBacon

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It will never change in this continent due to the lobbyist that have instilled the belief that man has a RIGHT to own a vehicle and drive, rather than it being seen as a privilege. You need a full societal shift in the mindset but that will never happen. Vehicles are getting bigger and faster and roads in many rural and suburban communities are designed to allow vehicles to achieve a high rate of speed.
Plus infrastructure is way behind. The cost/benefit of adding about 4 feet on each side of a paved road to allow for a bike to safely share the road with a car/truck is going to cost too much in relation to how often people bike.

Honestly, it's just too much risk to bike on roads which allow greater than the regular 50 km/hr speed. Just not enough room for a car/bike to share the road and thus you are relying on cars to be patient for the opposing traffic or lane to be clear in order to pass the bike.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the news. Such a heartbreaking story. It's hard to imagine what the families involved are going through.

The guy was such a unique player and a joy to watch. The way he could stickhandle a puck right into the net was something I don't think I'll see again in my lifetime. I'll miss watching him play the game.

Reactions: Grantham

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Just a brutal tragedy.

They really really need to up the punishments for drunk driving
Apparently, the driver admitted drinking 5-6 beers before getting into the vehicle..Was impatient, and the driver in front of him wouldnt let him pass on the left, so he made the fatal decision to illegally pass on the right..and we can assume that he put his foot to the floor.

Careless, and selfish..He should get the book thrown at him

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Sick to my stomach.

Horrible tragedy.

I was on the BQE (Brooklyn-Queens Expressway) last night around 1am, and there was a horrible vehicle accident. I was hoping no one was hurt.

When I got home, my brother texted me the Tim Peel posts.

What a unique talented player Johnny was. Sounds like he and his brother were incredibly beloved. Condolences to his family.

RIP to the Gaudreau brothers.

Last edited:

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Devastating news. How terrible for the family. The sister was to be married.
Little children now without their dad. Senseless.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Apparently, the driver admitted drinking 5-6 beers before getting into the vehicle..Was impatient, and the driver in front of him wouldnt let him pass on the left, so he made the fatal decision to illegally pass on the right..and we can assume that he put his foot to the floor.

Careless, and selfish..He should get the book thrown at him
It's not just that, apparently he *thought* the driver wasn't letting him pass on the left, but they were actually driving out into the other lane in order to give the Gaudreaus room on the shoulder.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I just can't even conceive of the pain the family must be enduring right now.

I've been hit while riding a bike before and have had several close shaves as well. As much as people hated the bike lanes in Vancouver I loved them, because it made me feel safe to ride with my kids.

Reactions: Grantham and Nomobo

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's not just that, apparently he *thought* the driver wasn't letting him pass on the left, but they were actually driving out into the other lane in order to give the Gaudreaus room on the shoulder.
Cars will wait til there is no oncoming traffic before they then pass the cyclists. All this bum needed to do was wait and follow the cars ahead of him as they were likely just waiting for an opportunity for traffic to let up to pass the 2 Gaudreau brothers.

Reactions: God

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
2 individuals who were cycling and by all accounts where on the far right of the road die.
Fact: Guy was drunk and driving like an asshole.

Mainboard:
"Why are they out at night?!?!"
"The drivers in front of the drunk driver should have allowed the drunk driver to pass on the left!"
"Cyclist in my city piss me off!"

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I just can't even conceive of the pain the family must be enduring right now.

I've been hit while riding a bike before and have had several close shaves as well. As much as people hated the bike lanes in Vancouver I loved them, because it made me feel safe to ride with my kids.
Hug your children tonight if you have any, or reach out to a family member you might not have heard from for awhile. Because 'tomorrow' is never a given.

You look at a young man like Johnny Gaudreau. A pillar in his family; beloved by his teammates; and an outstanding contributor to the hockey community, particularly young fans. And hockey had been kind to him--providing him with enough wealth to last a lifetime. But at just 31 it's over in a heartbeat, along with his younger brother, in a senseless road tragedy.

Long time Canuck fans had a taste of this kind of gut-wrenching emptiness when Luc Bourdon tragically lost his life in 2008 in a motorcycle crash. The passage of time won't make it any easier for his family or his extended hockey family. About all you can do is celebrate and remember the good times....but lament how much more these young men had to give.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
2 individuals who were cycling and by all accounts where on the far right of the road die.

Mainboard:
"The drivers in front of the drunk driver should have allowed the drunk driver to pass on the left!"
I was just going through the thread to see if any more anymore information has come out and was flabbergasted a debate was breaking out.

Also on side note I bet the main concern for the guy drinking drunk was I how am I gonna get my car home if I get a ride home.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Mainboard:
The driver was an idiot.

Once the 2 cars in front of him had a chance to, they would certainly pass the Gaudreau brothers. Just needed to wait for the oncoming traffic to be clear before each one would accelerate past the Gaudreaus as they wouldn't want to be trailing cyclists. The cars ahead of this driver must have decreased speed down to however fast the cyclists were going.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I was just going through the thread to see if any more anymore information has come out and was flabbergasted a debate was breaking out.

Also on side note I bet the main concern for the guy drinking drunk was I how am I gonna get my car home if I get a ride home.
That is a decision or thought that you make before you go drinking. Not afterwards.

Like Henry Ruggs of the LV Raiders. He took his Corvette to a night club. Geez... I wonder what the probability would be for a 23 year old to drink when he's at a night club. Almost a certainty, thus it is an easy decision to do a ride share to and from the night club. Not take the Corvette and then think, I don't want to leave it here to get towed and then deal with the hassle of getting it the next day. So, I'm going to drive it home. You are sober before you head out. That's the time to make the right decision based on what your activity is going to be.

Reactions: Grantham

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I find myself still having to do a double, triple, quadruple takes. Like it’s s
an unfathomable concept to my brain that Johnny Gaudreau is dead. Finding myself looking for typos, misspellings, wrong pronunciations, anything that can provide denial rather than accepting the fact. Kobe Bryant was hard. Humboldt, Fernandez, Lokomotiv, etc all hard. But like this one for some reason I quite literally can’t process it.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

Mainboard:
My city voted down free money from Translink to build bike lanes because council literally cannot understand the concept of bikes as transportation, they think they only exist for exercise. It's inane how so many people cannot conceive living without hopping into a car to get from Point A to Point B and see any other mode of transportation as threats to themselves.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Just found out an I’m in shock.
The fickle finger of fate….live every day as if it’s the last.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Such a horrible tragedy. The Gaudreau brothers were there for their sister's wedding. That just stuck out to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad