Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
They were cycling close to home. You can do a route 99 times with no issues and get lulled into a sense of comfort due to the familiarity of the route. You often don't think about the risk until a crash or near miss occurs.

There's people in the cycling community that go along 80-100km/hr traffic in our region.
Totally get it. After dark though on those types of roads though? Again, it only feels silly in retrospect.

As someone who lives near the NJ border and frequently drives NJ interstates and small highways on the weekends, it's a deadly combination of narrow lanes, poorly designed turn offs and exits and drivers with hair trigger tempers and zero patience. I echo @MS 's sentiments that road biking is dangerous, especially in NJ.
NJ drivers—and by extension their roads, highways, and turnpikes—are the worst I’ve experienced in North America. And that comes from someone who has lived in Vancouver and LA too.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Road biking is the most low-key deadly sport in the world. I had an ex who was a hardcore road biker and I tried to get into it for her and it was absolutely terrifying having cars you couldn’t see whipping by inches away from you. Tried for a couple months, had a couple near misses and said f*** that. She’s been hit by cars twice now, I have another friend who was destroyed by a car and lucky to live, have driven past a couple more cycling fatalities. In a world where drivers are so terrible it seems so crazy to be so exposed to outcomes like this.

I got hit while riding to work in Japan. Luckily it was extremely minor and the car stopped in time to just lightly graze my leg. I’ve met others who got full on smashed and the driver stopped to make sure they were alive then drove away. I was, and am to this day, terrified of sharing the road and try to go on the sidewalk whenever possible.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Brutal news. He had two really young kids who will have no memories of him.

I biked to work for years and absolutely loved it, but eventually gave it up because of the constant close calls. A lot of drivers have no respect for cyclists and that's not even taking into account distracted drivers texting or scrolling or drunk driving.

Reactions: geebaan and Huggy43

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Let me preface this by saying: the drunk driver who tried to overtake the vehicle on the right hand side is 100% at fault.

And also—having cycled on many rural roads here in upstate New York, I would never choose to ride at-or-past sundown on roads like this. We know how bad drivers are, we know people drink and drive, we know that the rate of DWIs goes up significantly after 9-5 work hours. The decision to be cycling then by itself is questionable. That they were hit is definitely not their fault. It is though the sort of thing where it is easy to think to yourself after the fact—why even take that risk with others?

I think the expectation should be not to drink and drive, not to know the hazards and cycling risks in every state of the USA.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Totally get it. After dark though on those types of roads though? Again, it only feels silly in retrospect.

NJ drivers—and by extension their roads, highways, and turnpikes—are the worst I’ve experienced in North America. And that comes from someone who has lived in Vancouver and LA too.
It does seem odd. It was showery and dark. Personally, I wouldn't hit the road in those conditions, however I made silly decisions in my late 20's and early 30's.

That said, f*** that murderer Sean Higgins.

Last edited:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Devastating news to wake up too.
Rest in peace to Johnny and his brother Matthew.

Life is unfair sometimes, just tragic news.
Heart goes out to the fans of the Blue Jacket's and the Flames as well.

Love your loved ones today and express how much you love em.

Reactions: Flik

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Horrible news, just absolutely terrible. Condolences to his family and RIP Johnny and Matthew.

Just once again reinforce how dangerous and irresponsible drunk driving is. Anybody caught, even if there were no accident, should be punished much more severely. It clearly shows a lack of care and responsibility, and people like that shouldn't be allowed to operate a vehicle, IMO.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
What an absolute tragedy, my heart breaks for their family.

Life is so fleeting... I'm gonna go hug my wife and cats now, y'all should hug your loved ones too.....

Reactions: DFAC

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What an absolute tragedy, my heart breaks for their family.

Life is so fleeting... I'm gonna go hug my wife and cats now, y'all should hug your loved ones too.....
His family was to be welcoming a new member to it today at his sisters wedding. They were to be groomsmen as well. Now the family has to prepare for 2 funerals in the next couple of weeks.

Sadly, very roads were and are designed to be shared between cars and bikes safely.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I got hit while riding to work in Japan. Luckily it was extremely minor and the car stopped in time to just lightly graze my leg. I’ve met others who got full on smashed and the driver stopped to make sure they were alive then drove away. I was, and am to this day, terrified of sharing the road and try to go on the sidewalk whenever possible.

i was hit last year riding out near red rock in a section with unlimited visibility and wide lanes and shoulders. i don't remember the accident at all as i passed out but a witness said my back wheel was clipped by a careless driver (who left the scene and was never tracked down) and i veered off into the desert and crashed amongst some rocks. just a totally unnecessary accident

i'm still riding (almost) daily but i tense up everytime a car approaches from my rear now. i've been spending more time in vancouver as a result of my injuries (note: the us healthcare system is awful even if you have money) and i'm hesitant to even share the road here given the way i see drivers acting. luckily we have pretty good protected lanes in and around the areas i frequent

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Let me preface this by saying: the drunk driver who tried to overtake the vehicle on the right hand side is 100% at fault.

And also—having cycled on many rural roads here in upstate New York, I would never choose to ride at-or-past sundown on roads like this. We know how bad drivers are, we know people drink and drive, we know that the rate of DWIs goes up significantly after 9-5 work hours. The decision to be cycling then by itself is questionable. That they were hit is definitely not their fault. It is though the sort of thing where it is easy to think to yourself after the fact—why even take that risk with others?
I kind of get what you are saying, but these circumstances are 100% not “bad luck doing something dangerous”. The driver was not only drunk, but passing on the f***ing right of a car on a two lane road. No one f***ing passes on the right. Even drunk people don’t typically pass on the right.

This is manslaughter.

kyru

Oct 19, 2017
As a regular cyclist with a partner who races bikes competitively, as a hockey fan, and as someone in a similar age range to the Gaudreaus, this hits hard on so many levels. This is absolutely horrifying to wake up to.

Reactions: Huggy43 and Hodgy

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
What absolute nightmare it is for their family. I just cant imagine what they're going through right now, going through that is living hell.

My wife and I went through miscarriage, my 15 y/o cat died, now out of nowhere Johnny Hockey is tragically killed in an accident,
all of the above happened in the span of 2 months.

My perspective of life is forever changed,
Life is too short to be obsessed with fame, achievements, money, women(men applies too), etc.

I say this from my heart,
I love all of you, stay healthy and strong.

Go and give your loved ones some appreciation and hugs.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I kind of get what you are saying, but these circumstances are 100% not “bad luck doing something dangerous”. The driver was not only drunk, but passing on the f***ing right of a car on a two lane road. No one f***ing passes on the right. Even drunk people don’t typically pass on the right.

This is manslaughter.
To be clear, I totally hold the driver responsible. That there are terrible humans who make terrible choices that kill innocent people is unfortunately a fact of life.

From less light, to more DWIs after work hours, to deer and other animals coming into the road unseen, etc, there are just more dangers for cyclists when going out that late. One is more likely to come across those circumstances going out when they did. That doesn’t mean what happened is their fault. They were just that much more likely to come across someone so reckless.

potatowejj

Oct 22, 2019

This is manslaughter.
Vehicular homicide.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
To be clear, I totally hold the driver responsible. That there are terrible humans who make terrible choices that kill innocent people is unfortunately a fact of life.

From less light, to more DWIs after work hours, to deer and other animals coming into the road unseen, etc, there are just more dangers for cyclists when going out that late. One is more likely to come across those circumstances going out when they did. That doesn’t mean what happened is their fault. They were just that much more likely to come across someone so reckless.
I get what you are saying, but my point is that the risk that materialized wasn’t even a risk that a cyclist reasonably could be expected to materialize because of the time or weather of their ride. I 100% agree that depending on the time and type of roads you ride on you are increasing the risk of injury or death.

But a drunk driver passing on the f***ing right isn’t really in the realm of reasonably foreseeable outcomes.

Like, and I know this is a hyperbole, but only to demonstrate my point, no one would say that the people attending or walking by the Lynn Valley library a few years ago that were stabbed to death were knowingly partaking in a dangerous activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad