Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
nashville seem in an alright situation to me. i dunno about that stamkos contract or the marchessault contract but the o'reilly, josi and skjei contracts are all fine. the novak and forsberg contracts are very good. the saaros contract might go bad but goalies tend to (lti-)retire rather than play passed their prime

they've got 3 first round picks and 2 seconds in the upcoming draft and they just made six selections in the top 100 in this last draft. they don't have any important players looking at big raises in the next three years either. they're not under any salary cap pressure

i think they lack talent currently but there's no easy solution to that. they certainly haven't really given up any key talent since trotz took over

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The thing is last season I think they were on an *upward* trajectory that could have reasonably been maintained for some time. Now they've basically given themselves 3 years at most to win, before the wheels completely fall off.
Jossi is their best player and he’s 34. D drops off a lot after him. They were better off just drafting Lundell or Jarvis at 11 in 2020. But plans change when the GM changes.

Most expensive goalie acquisition since Corey Schneider, and Askarov has only 3 NHL games and 44 AHL games to his name
You left off the 48 ahl games in 22/23 season. 92 appearances in the A for reg season. 17 more for AHL PO.

Reactions: timw33

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Great move by Grier, give me a top prospect who’s racking well and playing at a premium position over a projected mid-late 1st all day.

Reactions: gsharpe

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Betting on taking a player in a future draft and handing an 8-year contract to a 29-year old goalie instead of going with the prospect you developed and who has exceeded expectations would certainly be... a choice. It simply looks like they're putting all of their chips in for a playoff push with old players. I've only ever seen the early 2000s Rangers do this.

NYI and Nashville are basically the same team right now - a very old, middling team with no real Cup chances trying to squeeze another playoff appearance or two before the inevitable rebuild.

To Trotz’ credit, he’s done a pretty good job of managing toward that goal.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
nashville seem in an alright situation to me. i dunno about that stamkos contract or the marchessault contract but the o'reilly, josi and skjei contracts are all fine. the novak and forsberg contracts are very good. the saaros contract might go bad but goalies tend to (lti-)retire rather than play passed their prime

they've got 3 first round picks and 2 seconds in the upcoming draft and they just made six selections in the top 100 in this last draft. they don't have any important players looking at big raises in the next three years either. they're not under any salary cap pressure

i think they lack talent currently but there's no easy solution to that. they certainly haven't really given up any key talent since trotz took over
All of those guys you mentioned are 30+ or will be 30 this season. How much longer will those deals be "fine"?

NYI and Nashville are basically the same team right now - a very old, middling team with no real Cup chances trying to squeeze another playoff appearance or two before the inevitable rebuild.

To Trotz’ credit, he’s done a pretty good job of managing toward that goal.
It's a dumb goal, but they've made it an achievable one.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
I appreciate Trotz's "f*** it, we ball!" attitude even if I don't think it's going to lead them to a cup or much long term success. The slow and steady pace the franchise is known hasn't really lead to much either.
He's added 3 first round picks, f*** it we ball is working in this case. I don't think his ufa contracts will look good tho, so agreed that it wont end up in a chip

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
All of those guys you mentioned are 30+ or will be 30 this season. How much longer will those deals be "fine"?

Nash market has really never undergone a rebuild. Arrived in 97, and survived til the lockout to get to the salary cap. Since, then mostly middle of the pack save for a couple of seasons.

A goalie isn't going to make/break them, but really could have better utilized the 11th pick in 2020.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Biggest factor is if the Johansen contract termination holds up. They'll get an additional 4m in capspace.
I doubt that it will hold up. Given what the NHL has allowed in terms of LTIR over the life of the salary cap era. Enough guys have landed there with wear and tear stuff vs a clear injury to a knee, shoulder, head, etc.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I doubt that it will hold up. Given what the NHL has allowed in terms of LTIR over the life of the salary cap era. Enough guys have landed there with wear and tear stuff vs a clear injury to a knee, shoulder, head, etc.

It also, very quietly, didn't hold up for the Corey Perry termination last season either.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It’s a dumb goal to armchair fans but not a dumb goal for an actual business employing actual people trying to make actual money.
If they don't care about winning a Cup, it's great. If they just want a competitive team for the next 1-3 seasons, it's great. If they want to be the late '10s, early '20s, Flames, it's great.

I don't think it's great.

Like yeah. I'm not the owner. I don't actually care about Nashville making money. I'm not judging their business acumen.

Nash market has really never undergone a rebuild. Arrived in 97, and survived til the lockout to get to the salary cap. Since, then mostly middle of the pack save for a couple of seasons.

A goalie isn't going to make/break them, but really could have better utilized the 11th pick in 2020.
Minnesota South, but with less of an ingrained fanbase. Guess that's a Thing You Can Do.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I don't really have an opinion one way or the other. Guys don't want to stay in an org for 7+ years they had no say in choosing. They're using the leverage given to them in the CBA. Fair is fair.

I dont care if they if they ask for a trade either, player freedom to do what he wants.
but pull the bandaid off. Ghosting an NHL GM for months, like how old are you?

Just tell him straight up, it would be over in a few minutes.

Him and Gauthier look like clowns
even Briere said he wish he just told them this, and instead of avoiding him at the world juniors, and not returning lots of phone calls.

Reactions: BimJenning

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Small market team rebuilding is a tough sell. It’s hard to build back fan interest. It’s not as simple as, oh they just have to endure several years of suck and then fans will show up once they start to be good. It takes many years to build up interest to be at a point where you can suck and then fans will show up willing to pay up once you are good again like we have here in Van. Look at the other small market teams that have been good for awhile, the seats are still cheap as f***. I am guessing that’s why the Preds refuse to rebuild.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Forsberg Josi and Saros are 3 of the greatest Preds. They still have some miles they should be trying to be competitive.

Unlike the Islanders the Preds have a slew of good young prospects/players Svechkov Wood Kemell L'Heureux Surin Tomasino Evangelista Molendyk.

And Stamkos and Marchesseault scored 82 goals last year

It's not outrageous to think a city like Nashville would be a destination for UFAs and there is always in the meantime the possibility you hit a couple picks out of the park like Dallas TB and Boston were able to.

Reactions: Caspian

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
If they don't care about winning a Cup, it's great. If they just want a competitive team for the next 1-3 seasons, it's great. If they want to be the late '10s, early '20s, Flames, it's great.

I don't think it's great.

Like yeah. I'm not the owner. I don't actually care about Nashville making money. I'm not judging their business acumen.
The Predators have a decent core and added to it significantly on the off-season without mortgaging the future. They have 3 1st round picks in 2025, 2 retention slots with a 3rd opening up after this season, and no one apart from Saros signed for more than 4 seasons. They've added 2-3 years to their competitive window and should have a better outlook to rebuild afterwards than they do now. Trying to rebuild by moving guys like Forsberg, Josi, etc usually fails -- adding good players to a decent core often succeeds.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Most expensive goalie acquisition since Corey Schneider, and Askarov has only 3 NHL games and 44 AHL games to his name
Exactly. With young goalies, it's the ultimate crapshoot. Maybe Askarov turns into the second coming of Shesterkin or Bobrovsky. Of course he could turn morph into the journeyman career of Ilya Bryzgalov or Ilya Samsonov.

It makes some sense for a rebuilding team like the Sharks to roll the dice on him. At the end of the day all it really cost them was a conditional first rounder that they'd already acquired from the Knights in the Tomas Hertl trade.

But for the Canucks it would make little sense to expend a lot of assets to acquire a young goalie who might not end up being any better than Arturs Silovs.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I do wonder if Burke back in his day would let the kid just stay in college and use up all 4 ncaa years to make the player finish elc at age 24 (only 2 year elc for a 22 year old) if they didn't want to sign after their So. year and thus hit RFA at 22. Costing 2 years and maybe over $10 million to the player.
If the alternative was getting Rutger McGroarty than that answer would be NO but it does sound like something burke would say publicly.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Yes, I think he would have gone ahead of Savoie in 2022. Not really sure why Savoie went that high to begin with.
Savoie was definitely a much higher rated prospect than Yager in their draft years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad