Around the league part 2

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
It's common for organizations to have former players in key positions. But for an organization to have this many former teammates of the president in key roles is probably not normal.

When I Google "LA Kings Staff," I don't see a comprehensive list in the results.

On the other hand, when I Google "Florida Panthers Staff" I get very detailed results directly from the Panthers website:

The Kings' website appears to only have the coaching staff:

Symptomatic of how the organization is run?
at a glance, every team i checked had their entire org tree right up front under the "team" tab on their main page. tampa has their damn team plumber and painter on theirs

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I just checked the Senators website, since they're considered the worst run team in the league, and even they have much more comprehensive information about the staff listed.

Ducks are considered one of the cheapest teams, but they have all the info about their staff up on the site.

Only team I found so far with as little info as LA is Utah. And they're a new team of course so it's understandable.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
The Kings used to have a full staff directory available on the website until very recently when the website and app underwent a full overhaul.

I don't think this is some sort of controversial issue...

• Haha
Reactions: Schrute farms

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
The Kings used to have a full staff directory available on the website until very recently when the website and app underwent a full overhaul.

I don't think this is some sort of controversial issue...
at some point it becomes emblematic of an overall lack of pride or effort

basically every other team has replays or highlights of their dev camp, interviews front page, photos etc. we have... buy tickets, buy new jersey

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Reactions: DoktorJeep

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
His father is a chairman board member,

I'm sorry if people are calling Blake a friend hire, or Murray/Emerson etc a friend hire, this is the same thing, everyone that was listed has put their time in.....

I have, every time this bullshit rears its head, you just won't pay attention....again....
He might have been a nepo hire when he was first hired as a scout but the guy worked his way up the ladder. The guy basically did every job before becoming the GM.

When did Blake put his time in? He was the AGM of Canada for what 2 years before being hired by the Kings as the AGM? He was handed two positions with little to no experience. Emerson was given an assistant coach position with little to no experience before becoming the director of player development with little to no experience. Murray somewhat worked his way up the ladder.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
He might have been a nepo hire when he was first hired as a scout but the guy worked his way up the ladder. The guy basically did every job before becoming the GM.

When did Blake put his time in? He was the AGM of Canada for what 2 years before being hired by the Kings as the AGM? He was handed two positions with little to no experience. Emerson was given an assistant coach position with little to no experience before becoming the director of player development with little to no experience. Murray somewhat worked his way up the ladder.

Not sure what you are asking, you ask when Blake put in his time, then said he was hired as the AGM, did you mean before he was assistant GM? Because that's where you put your time in, to become GM.

Emerson "Emerson was hired by the Los Angeles Kings as a video and player development consultant and, after 2 seasons, was promoted to assistant coach/development coordinator on August 4, 2008.[2][3] He is currently Director of Player Personnel for the Kings."

Seems like he put his time in as well.....

You of all people calling out others for not paying attention to bullshit is McDavid-level irony.

You are confusing my bullshit, with your bullshit, with everyone's bullshit,

This issue is raised almost monthly it seems "OMG LA is an old boys club etc" and the entire league is, john just posted Floridas staff directory, care to see how many ex-FLA, friend, connections are in that group?

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC

Props to Rob Blake for not heading to the surf in Cabo, and grinding things out with Don Waddell to save a couple of bucks on the TMac write off.

He’s just gotta beat out Billy Guerin and McDavid’s agent to eat some of Todd’s extension. I doubt Dean Evanson is owed more money. But he’s probably number three on that list of coaches.

It’s gotta be down to Alfalfa vs Koala for the BJ HC gig. They probably want Woodcroft, but I’m sure he’s asking for a big bag to go to a rebuilding team. So Todd can win this. He just needs Blakey to eat some shit in the press for less than a day to make this happen.

Fingers crossed Kings fans 🤞!

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Not sure what you are asking, you ask when Blake put in his time, then said he was hired as the AGM, did you mean before he was assistant GM? Because that's where you put your time in, to become GM.

Emerson "Emerson was hired by the Los Angeles Kings as a video and player development consultant and, after 2 seasons, was promoted to assistant coach/development coordinator on August 4, 2008.[2][3] He is currently Director of Player Personnel for the Kings."

Seems like he put his time in as well.....

This issue is raised almost monthly it seems "OMG LA is an old boys club etc" and the entire league is, john just posted Floridas staff directory, care to see how many ex-FLA, friend, connections are in that group?
Yeah of course I meant before he was hired as AGM. He had little to no experience. It was a job given to him because he was an ex player and his inexperience still shows to this day.

Sorry Emerson was a video and developmental consultant before being named head assistant coach with no experience then being named director of player development.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023

Props to Rob Blake for not heading to the surf in Cabo, and grinding things out with Don Waddell to save a couple of bucks on the TMac write off.

He’s just gotta beat out Billy Guerin and McDavid’s agent to eat some of Todd’s extension. I doubt Dean Evanson is owed more money. But he’s probably number three on that list of coaches.

It’s gotta be down to Alfalfa vs Koala for the BJ HC gig. They probably want Woodcroft, but I’m sure he’s asking for a big bag to go to a rebuilding team. So Todd can win this. He just needs Blakey to eat some shit in the press for less than a day to make this happen.

Fingers crossed Kings fans 🤞!
Blake has already been bent over and publicly dunked on by Billy G and Jeff Jackson has been in charge for 2 weeks yet is running circles around Blake. I don’t know how he’ll do it but the Kings will come out of this somehow owing more money than they did originally.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Oh just (2) ex-Kings having an adventurous summer together.

449949504_868803205290942_5499704963163917063_n.jpg

449749505_868803268624269_7991832755841197665_n.jpg

450048212_868803208624275_3042128858533772535_n.jpg

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Funny thing about bullshit is it all smells the same.
Okay.

PREDIDENT/GM: Bill Zito. Never played NHL. Went to Yale.

Assistant GM: Gregory Campbell. Never went to Yale. Never played with Zito

Special Advisor: Roberto Luongo. Never played with Campbell or Zito

Senior Advisor: Rick Dudley. Never played with any of the above. Nor has he had any other associations with the above, aside from him being Luongo's GM back with the Panthers.

Head Coach: Paul Maurice. Didn't go to Yale either. Never played with or coached any of the above

Those are just 5 names with relative equal importance to the relationships johnjm provided. Only relationship is between the advisors.

This is why we ask you to do your own work. You accuse us of ignoring the statements and then even the most cursory glances shows that you can't even make an apples to oranges comparison to discuss.

Go do your own work from now on.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
On the subject of nepo hires, where do O'Donnell, Greene, and Stoll fall? All 3 hired and working with the prospects fresh off of retiring as players and having no real experience.
Having freshly retired players working with prospects is a pretty standard thing no? Kind of helps the prospects out working with guys who were just in the league

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Having freshly retired players working with prospects is a pretty standard thing no? Kind of helps the prospects out working with guys who were just in the league
And it does a solid for your workers who never made "big" NHL money.

There appears to be a heavy emphasis on dues paying here, which is fine in and of itself. The problem is that nobody is profiting from their planning and staying the same circular course isn't going to get anyone anywhere.

Reactions: tigermask48

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Yeah of course I meant before he was hired as AGM. He had little to no experience. It was a job given to him because he was an ex player and his inexperience still shows to this day.

Sorry Emerson was a video and developmental consultant before being named head assistant coach with no experience then being named director of player development.

Yea, that's how that works man, 3 years as a video coach....promoted to assistant coach....3 years....etc, and now direct of player development....

Tell me, what experience did/does Bryan McCabe have? Same position in FL

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Okay.

Senior Advisor: Rick Dudley. Never played with any of the above. Nor has he had any other associations with the above, aside from him being Luongo's GM back with the Panthers.

Head Coach: Paul Maurice. Didn't go to Yale either. Never played with or coached any of the above

Those are just 5 names with relative equal importance to the relationships johnjm provided. Only relationship is between the advisors.

This is why we ask you to do your own work. You accuse us of ignoring the statements and then even the most cursory glances shows that you can't even make an apples to oranges comparison to discuss.

LOL holy shit,

You really think Rick Dudley has no associations? How about Bryan McCabe director of player personnel, maybe that's how McCabe got the job....or Dudley got the job...right?

I mean all these EX players like Luongo, McCabe, Paul Fenton, etc have no experience so they MUST have been just handed those jobs.....right?

You realize Bill Zito was a player agent right? You don't think he had any connections within the hockey world?

Amazing how many of you guys think this professional hockey world is this big wide world where no one interacts unless they sit on a bench together.....

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Okay.

Take a look at Detroit....

Yzerman, - GM
Lidstrom - President
Horcoff - Assistant GM
Draper - Assistant GM
Campbell - Director of Stats and Administration
Kronwall - European Development
Fischer - Player Development
Cleary - Assisant to Player Development

Rangers

Drury - GM
Lilly - Player Personnel
Ortmeyer - Player Development
Glass - Assiant to PD
Graves - Hockey and Business

Tampa

Roast
Pushor
Darche - All Assistant GMs
Cote - Player Development

That's just a 10 minute cursory look....

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Yea, that's how that works man, 3 years as a video coach....promoted to assistant coach....3 years....etc, and now direct of player development....

Tell me, what experience did/does Bryan McCabe have? Same position in FL
How many guys go from a video consultant straight to an assistant coach at the NHL level with no coaching experience at any other level?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
How many guys go from a video consultant straight to an assistant coach at the NHL level with no coaching experience at any other level?

I'd assume quite a few that have massive playing experience.....

I don't think you realize what teams are looking for, hell what the hockey world itself is looking for when it goes to hire.....

Playing experience, is almost nowdays a 100% requisite, for any job above Midget AAA, it's literally the one thing if you don't have at this point, you won't be looked at.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Other franchises from my experience have their coaches or minor league coaches running the prospect camps. Why have ex-players when you can have your coaches who will work closely with the prospects in the near future work with them, and establish a working relationship with those prospects?

The Kings even ran their camps this way under the previous regime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad