Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Yep.

I read the report cover to cover. Bowman comes across as a waffling boob that decided this wasn't his job to handle and even if it was it could wait until after the playoff run, and then Aldrich was "offered the opportunity to resign" and Bowman hoped that this was swept under the rug sufficiently. When it wasn't, he resigned, retreated to his mansion and his pile of money to wait it out, but knew he had to rehabilitate his image in the meantime.

I sincerely hope that Bowman is sincere in wanting to be better and making sure this ever happens again, but if I'm an Oilers prospect and something happened to me, I don't know how comfortable I'd be taking anything to management knowing that Bowman was part and parcel of sweeping once incident under the rug already.
Yeah my biggest issue is probably the bolded. How are you ever going to allow someone like that back into that authoritative position. Every single member of this organization during the tenure of this GM now gets to live with the knowledge that if anything were ever to happen within the org, the guy in charge has already chosen to cover for the abuser over protecting the ones who actually needed it.

This also goes even beyond the players imo. This hire sends a message to anyone involved with the team that the organization believes that what he did was not only forgivable, but was insignificant enough that 2 years off and a letter of recommendation from anyone other than the abused is enough to put him right back into the position he was in before.

I am struggling so hard to make this make sense in a way that doesn’t just end up with the Oilers organization being grossly incompetent.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
The lady from CTV news is the only one with an actual tough question. Clearly doesn't care about "press access".

Bowman "doesn't want to go into the past" didn't talk to the other victim.
You must not have heard the whole press conference or are being dishonest.

Reactions: oilers'72

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
They had 1 job, don't sign this guy.

I wouldn't be surprised if Duncan Keith pledged for this guy. Watch Keith have some sort of management role in the near future.

Reactions: BudBundy

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Its either Jackson also loves his old boys, this was a Katz hire, or genuinely everyone else he interviewed did so terribly.
Bowman had him at 'three rings.' These are hockey people we're talking about, they're not pondering too much.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Look I get you're excited for Bowman, but many of are not for extremely valid reasons.

Like you, sincerely, have to question every hire he makes, because his judgement is a problem.

I don't like the hire either.

Just have the ability to control my emotions and listen to what everyone has to say before I cement myself in a conclusion.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah my biggest issue is probably the bolded. How are you ever going to allow someone like that back into that authoritative position. Every single member of this organization during the tenure of this GM now gets to live with the knowledge that if anything were ever to happen within the org, the guy in charge has already chosen to cover for the abuser over protecting the ones who actually needed it.

This also goes even beyond the players imo. This hire sends a message to anyone involved with the team that the organization believes that what he did was not only forgivable, but was insignificant enough that 2 years off and a letter of recommendation from anyone other than the abused is enough to put him right back into the position he was in before.

I am struggling so hard to make this make sense in a way that doesn’t just end up with the Oilers organization being grossly incompetent.
I think the message this sends to the rest of the team is, the Oilers give chances or second chances and they're willing to look pass the past

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yep.

I read the report cover to cover. Bowman comes across as a waffling boob that decided this wasn't his job to handle and even if it was it could wait until after the playoff run, and then Aldrich was "offered the opportunity to resign" and Bowman hoped that this was swept under the rug sufficiently. When it wasn't, he resigned, retreated to his mansion and his pile of money to wait it out, but knew he had to rehabilitate his image in the meantime.

I sincerely hope that Bowman is sincere in wanting to be better and making sure this ever happens again, but if I'm an Oilers prospect and something happened to me, I don't know how comfortable I'd be taking anything to management knowing that Bowman was part and parcel of sweeping once incident under the rug already.
The only point I differ here is Bowman didn’t think it was his job because he was directly told by his boss he would handle it. Sounds like he never knew the details to what happened just that an allegation was made, and his boss handled it.

Now as a human being and looking back and people now understanding far more about sexual assault, he should have done more, his boss be damned. We know that and I think he knows that too.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
They had 1 job, don't sign this guy.

I wouldn't be surprised if Duncan Keith pledged for this guy. Watch Keith have some sort of management role in the near future.

Duncan Keith already works for the Oilers in Player Development

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It's been a slow moving train for a year that this day would arrive. The facts of an unimaginable situation have been laid out and reconciliation work with the victim undertaken. People will make their own judgement whether it can ever be enough and whether a second chance is deserved.

I'm personally a big picture believer in second chances. Though I probably would have looked at Jason Botterill's progressive career and uninterrupted experience as my preference for the gig.

About the Press Conference, it was well managed and very clear Jackson and Bowman are strongly aligned thinkers. There's an extensive long-term relationship which adds substance to be able to weigh character and fit for the job. Jackson certainly doesn't shirk from hard decisions. Bowman was articulate and composed through today's announcement. What I didn't and don't like is when opening the floor to questions, the first question should never ever be given to an internal staff person who is an extended member of the business organization's PR. Simply bogus to enable Stauffer to lob a softball first question. Frankly this is where you want a media curmudgeon like Spector to be available and ask the hard questions.

Bowman is here. Will have to earn people's respect with this second chance both in terms of his character but also in ability to do the job at this critical juncture. I'm optimistic mainly with belief in Jeff Jackson. We'll see what the future brings.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Hopefully people read these reports and then pass judgement. People are allowed to atone for their mistakes in our society and when someone like Sheldon Kennedy endorses him that’s tells me he’s put the work in to make the necessary changes.

From a pure hockey related standpoint I’m not crazy about it but with JJ now fully in command and with his oversight I’ll see what happens and give it the benefit of the doubt.

This. Primarily the bolded.

What is wrong with people in present day? What is this need to banish people for transgression? Redemption not possible?

Atonement. This is an org that has often given 2nd chances to players or staff and did to Murphy, MacTavish, Murdoch, Kane, Perry, and now are doing it again.

Try to judge Bowman on merit rather than other.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I hope that JJ wanted to hire a figurehead GM who would handle the day to day but JJ would make all important decisions. Maybe every decent candidate wouldn't agree to being just a pawn, so they hired this guy.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

What is wrong with people in present day? What is this need to banish people for transgression? Redemption not possible?

Atonement. This is an org that has often given 2nd chances to players or staff and did to Murphy, MacTavish, Murdoch, Kane, Perry, and now are doing it again.

Fine, he sucks ass as a GM. No reason to hire this bozo other than another clown to add to the collection.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

And then when the facts don't align with their fundamentalist view on the issue, the facts get dismissed, explained away, or are "not good enough."

People need to calm the f*** down. Nobody is giving out awards here for who shows how much they think Bowman should be banished no matter what the most.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Very unpopular signing and for good reason. JJ had been crushing it with every move he has made so far from the coach to the players he brought back/in as temp GM. Very strange hiring considering all the other candidates available. Guess we have to hope edm can win the cup this year before Stan destroys the team. Lol.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
I gotta say, JJ came off pretty awful in this presser. He was just so non-chalant about everything from the optics to fan reaction etc.
I think that's his general demeanor but he did nothing to quell the concerns, not that there was much he could have done at this point to appease the fanbase. This questionable action speaks louder than any words would have.
He has always had a bit of arrogance, most of the management and coaches, even a few stars have had that around this org for many years. Still an OBC but with some new members.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
And then when the facts don't align with their fundamentalist view on the issue, the facts get dismissed, explained away, or are "not good enough."

People need to calm the f*** down. Nobody is giving out awards here for who shows how much they think Bowman should be banished no matter what the most.
Its the virtue mode of present day. Shriek loud as you can about how much better you are while shitting on others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad