Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I’m sorry but this is not something anyone should ever be able to “atone for” and just pick back up where they left off in their life. His actions, or rather inactions played a major role in this abuser being given the opportunity to harm even more people.

Every single person involved with the organization at the time who had any knowledge of these incidents shouldn’t ever be allowed to work in the NHL again. They all made a decision to allow someone who needed to be turned over to police and investigated immediately, to instead resign in order to save face and allow him to continue doing all of the horrible shit he was doing.

I don’t care who gives you a letter of reference after something like that. You should have to spend every day of your life working towards improving yourself and making the world a safer place for everyone, especially the abused, on top of never being allowed to work in the NHL again.

This guy has the privilege of being able to do almost anything he wants with the amount of money he’s made, but for some reason so many people are talking like he “needs another chance”.
Like hell he does. When you take a chance with someone who’s been at best, complacent in covering up something like sexual assault, the risk is so insanely skewed away from the person who should be the one held accountable, and instead you put every single person in the organization at risk.

As a fan, I’m glad they announced this in July, because as bad as this team has been at times over the years, I’ve never once felt like rooting for them wasn’t at all aligned with my own moral compass, whereas this hire has done exactly that. I understand that many are going to look past everything and continue to unapologetically cheer their hearts out for this club, but I’m certain I’m not the only one who is questioning whether this team, or honestly the NHL as a whole is the kind of organization you want to support in any way.
Yep.

I read the report cover to cover. Bowman comes across as a waffling boob that decided this wasn't his job to handle and even if it was it could wait until after the playoff run, and then Aldrich was "offered the opportunity to resign" and Bowman hoped that this was swept under the rug sufficiently. When it wasn't, he resigned, retreated to his mansion and his pile of money to wait it out, but knew he had to rehabilitate his image in the meantime.

I sincerely hope that Bowman is sincere in wanting to be better and making sure this ever happens again, but if I'm an Oilers prospect and something happened to me, I don't know how comfortable I'd be taking anything to management knowing that Bowman was part and parcel of sweeping once incident under the rug already.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This is sports as a whole. Every pro sports leagues have this or worse either out in the open or covered up.
If this really bugs you and effects you to that level (which is completely allowed to), most likely to have to bail on pro sports as a whole.
Who cares if others are doing it? We don't have to follow suit.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yep.

I read the report cover to cover. Bowman comes across as a waffling boob that decided this wasn't his job to handle and even if it was it could wait until after the playoff run, and then Aldrich was "offered the opportunity to resign" and Bowman hoped that this was swept under the rug sufficiently. When it wasn't, he resigned, retreated to his mansion and his pile of money to wait it out, but knew he had to rehabilitate his image in the meantime.

I sincerely hope that Bowman is sincere in wanting to be better and making sure this ever happens again, but if I'm an Oilers prospect and something happened to me, I don't know how comfortable I'd be taking anything to management knowing that Bowman was part and parcel of sweeping once incident under the rug already.
Is calling the police not an option anymore?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So, in light of today's news, seems like many are ready to start the re-hire Bob Nicholson campaign, second chances guys, he can work under JJ.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I’m sorry but this is not something anyone should ever be able to “atone for” and just pick back up where they left off in their life. His actions, or rather inactions played a major role in this abuser being given the opportunity to harm even more people.

Every single person involved with the organization at the time who had any knowledge of these incidents shouldn’t ever be allowed to work in the NHL again. They all made a decision to allow someone who needed to be turned over to police and investigated immediately, to instead resign in order to save face and allow him to continue doing all of the horrible shit he was doing.

I don’t care who gives you a letter of reference after something like that. You should have to spend every day of your life working towards improving yourself and making the world a safer place for everyone, especially the abused, on top of never being allowed to work in the NHL again.

This guy has the privilege of being able to do almost anything he wants with the amount of money he’s made, but for some reason so many people are talking like he “needs another chance”.
Like hell he does. When you take a chance with someone who’s been at best, complacent in covering up something like sexual assault, the risk is so insanely skewed away from the person who should be the one held accountable, and instead you put every single person in the organization at risk.

As a fan, I’m glad they announced this in July, because as bad as this team has been at times over the years, I’ve never once felt like rooting for them wasn’t at all aligned with my own moral compass, whereas this hire has done exactly that. I understand that many are going to look past everything and continue to unapologetically cheer their hearts out for this club, but I’m certain I’m not the only one who is questioning whether this team, or honestly the NHL as a whole is the kind of organization you want to support in any way.
I'm not disagreeing with you, just devil's advocate, but perhaps he's uniquely placed to change hockey culture at the NHL level, no acolyte like the converted, sort of thing

Apr 29, 2017
This is sports as a whole. Every pro sports leagues have this or worse either out in the open or covered up.
If this really bugs you and effects you to that level (which is completely allowed to), most likely to have to bail on pro sports as a whole.
I don't care about other teams or leagues. I care about what this team does.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
What is KNOWN though:
- His actions led to a minor being abused
- He was given a slap on the wrist ultimately
- He worked with SA organization to learn more about how to prevent this in the future
- He waltzed into the best job in hockey 14 days after being reinstated
- Objectively bad GM
- Huge fan blowback and horrible PR

Those are known things right? Its not a great scene regardless of how you spin it.
- His actions didn't lead to a minor being abused. You could argue his inaction did. His boss said he would take care of it and he left it there. He is guilty of not doing enough, and believing his boss would take care of it timely. Quenneville writing a glowing review of Aldrich lead to a minor getting abused.
- Absolutely a slap on the wrist. Ultimately he didn't commit a crime but he probably shouldn't be an NHL GM again. An advisor to help an org deal with how to NOT react to incidents absolutely, could be a good job if he has learned.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Even if Bowman has ‘atoned’ for the incident, JJ is an idiot for even going down this path. There are an endless number of GM candidates and he chose the most controversial one. I hope this blows up badly on him like Babcock in Columbus

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I keep hearing the flowing talking point "I encourage all of you to dig into the work Bowman had done with Sheldon Kennedy and his respect group".

Ok so I've read Sheldons letter. Can someone explain what this work is that Bowman put in? I guess he talked to Kennedy a lot, almost everyday for a while. So what is the work exactly?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Please put your money where your mouth is and exit then. When nothing can appease you it might be time to take a break
Look I get you're excited for Bowman, but many of are not for extremely valid reasons.

Like you, sincerely, have to question every hire he makes, because his judgement is a problem.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
- His actions didn't lead to a minor being abused. You could argue his inaction did. His boss said he would take care of it and he left it there. He is guilty of not doing enough, and believing his boss would take care of it timely. Quenneville writing a glowing review of Aldrich lead to a minor getting abused.
- Absolutely a slap on the wrist. Ultimately he didn't commit a crime but he probably shouldn't be an NHL GM again. An advisor to help an org deal with how to NOT react to incidents absolutely, could be a good job if he has learned.

Sounds like we agree on lot of things. I think where we differ is that I believe he shouldnt have been given such a great opportunity so short after such a massive scandal. And two, I think hes a shit GM so regardless shouldnt have been hired.

Reactions: Ninety7

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I keep hearing the flowing talking point "I encourage all of you to dig into the work Bowman had done with Sheldon Kennedy and his respect group".

Ok so I've read Sheldons letter. Can someone explain what this work is that Bowman put in? I guess he talked to Kennedy a lot, almost everyday for a while. So what is the work exactly?
It’s an effort to improve his public image to cover up the fact that he’s still a piece of shit

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

He talked about it in the presser.
They worked with sports teams, teaching and educating on how to recognize and properly respond to situations.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm not disagreeing with you, just devil's advocate, but perhaps he's uniquely placed to change hockey culture at the NHL level, no acolyte like the converted, sort of thing
That’s the way they are trying to spin it. I can believe it if I see him making tangible efforts that are sincere and impactful, but I still have huge doubts.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Let me know if you want to be kept up to date on anything else in order to avoid further embarrassment not only online, but in every day public interactions in front of your children/potential children in the future.
predictably boring rubbish...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad