Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I can't speak for the minor, but Bowman said he spoke to Beach last night, and it sounds like there has been a working relationship with Kyle Beach.

Jeff Jackson just said he did not hire the players - that worries me about Draisaitl and McDavid's futures here to be honest.
As it should I get it the players don’t pick coaches or GMs but this is a very unique situation. McDavid especially has always been very vocal about progressive matters in the league (started the rainbow tape in Edmonton) this one may bite us bad .

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Exactly. Its not a punishment or a consequence.
Bowman, feeling and knowing he failed Beach, went to work with and learn from an organziation and sexual assault survivor to learn and grow.
No one forced him too, it wasn't court ordered. He didn't have to.
That tells me a lot about Bowman and how he actually RECOGNISES that he did something wrong and wanted to attone for it by helping it not happen to others.
None of that means anything. People in prison find Jesus all the time.

Also he's still a crap GM. There was no reason to hire this fool.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Bowman didn't say that. He got angry and said he doesn't want to discuss the past look to the future.

Of course Jackson doesn't know who it is. You expected him to find out this week?

Bowman clearly has made zero effort over two years. Something something I worked with Sheldon Kennedy

Jackson looked at Bowman and he nodded that he doesn't know. So again, just painting a picture you want to be the truth. Just stop.

Reactions: oilers'72

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yikes Jeff didn' talk to any of the players about the hire.
I gotta say, JJ came off pretty awful in this presser. He was just so non-chalant about everything from the optics to fan reaction etc.
I think that's his general demeanor but he did nothing to quell the concerns, not that there was much he could have done at this point to appease the fanbase. This questionable action speaks louder than any words would have.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
The good will of an incredible playoff run and an awesome offseason has now been tarnished by the hire of this asshat. I am from Chicago originally and supported the Hawks many years, this guy rode the coat tails of Tallon. The core was there and it sold itself, Hossa was a great signing but I don’t give Bowman much credit at a time many players wanted to join the Blackhawks. I do give him credit for rebuilding around the core for the 13 and 15 championships but that core was so damn good it only took a few moves to get them over the top. After that he tried several years to build around them again with no success then he buried them with asinine moves that screwed them. And all of this does not take into account the cover up and his involvement, if you add that to what he did to the franchise long term he should not sniff any NHL GM hob immediately, especially not the best one in the NHL.

He will ride the coattails of an incredible core agin, they will win a cup or two without anything he does, then he will make moves that will bury this franchise for years. A moron could come in now, the roster is set.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Exactly. Its not a punishment or a consequence.
Bowman, feeling and knowing he failed Beach, went to work with and learn from an organziation and sexual assault survivor to learn and grow.
No one forced him too, it wasn't court ordered. He didn't have to.
That tells me a lot about Bowman and how he actually RECOGNISES that he did something wrong and wanted to attone for it by helping it not happen to others.

As you have constantly reminded everyone this thread regarding the thoughts and motivations of others - you cant possibly know this either way. It could just as easily been a condition of his return to the NHL, his own selish motivations to clear his name or his actual sincerity.

You out of everyone should know its impossible to know.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You are on board with this? Fair enough. I guess the influence of Bob Nicholson was missing from the organization.

Well done everyone.
I never said I was on board with this.
I don't like the hire from a pure hockey standpoint and I don't think he should be the GM based on his failure to protect Kyle and not doing more after it happened.
But I am not going to say he hasn't learned from this or peddle conspiracy or anything like that.
Bowman put in work the last few years with a great org to help make sure there aren't more Kyle Beach in the future. He did that not by being ordered to, or by being forced. He did that by choice.
I give him props for that.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I gotta say, JJ came off pretty awful in this presser. He was just so non-chalant about everything from the optics to fan reaction etc.
I think that's his general demeanor but he did nothing to quell the concerns, not that there was much he could have done at this point to appease the fanbase. This questionable action speaks louder than any words would have.
At least we know Jackson is officially an Oilers lackey now.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Alpha comments are good for a laugh. I definitely thought “woah that man is my alpha dawg” listening to his natural sarcastic tone and watching him squirm in his seat.

I don’t know if bowman is displaying anything beyond a shamed GM trying to convince everyone he is a changed man
I agree. I honestly don't give 2 squirrely poo's how the fans take this hire, I care about how the players will receive it. there is a real possibility that players may not want to be associated with a franchise that does not take these situations seriously.

If the players believe, through conversations with Bowman himself, that he has truly learned from his mistakes and they're willing to remain in the organization with Bowman as their manager, that's what matters in the end.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Bowman didn't say that. He got angry and said he doesn't want to discuss the past look to the future.

Of course Jackson doesn't know who it is. You expected him to find out this week?

Bowman clearly has made zero effort over two years. Something something I worked with Sheldon Kennedy

If I recall the other victim has their identity protected as they are a minor. It’s impossible to find out who the person is unless the person comes forward.

Bowman did not get angry. You’re essentially full of shit right now saying he’s made zero effort over two years. Like - full of shit.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
As you have constantly reminded everyone this thread regarding the thoughts and motivations of others - you cant possibly know this either way. It could just as easily been a condition of his return to the NHL, his own selish motivations to clear his name or his actual sincerity.

You out of everyone should know its impossible to know.
You are right, in the end it is impossible to know.
All we know is what we are told.
We can be suspicious about anything and everything.
Like maybe Jackson only was allowed to make good trades because those were payment for allowing Bowman back in the league? We can push conspiracy or theories about it all. Or we can take what we are told at face value until we are told otherwise.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I never said I was on board with this.
I don't like the hire from a pure hockey standpoint and I don't think he should be the GM based on his failure to protect Kyle and not doing more after it happened.
But I am not going to say he hasn't learned from this or peddle conspiracy or anything like that.
Bowman put in work the last few years with a great org to help make sure there aren't more Kyle Beach in the future. He did that not by being ordered to, or by being forced. He did that by choice.
I give him props for that.
It's bad on all front, but definitely spend your time defending Bob Bowmmanson.

They're basically the same kind of guy, Bowman and Nicholson, most just like Bowman more.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Pretty disgusted honestly. Hope there is no blowback from players and families being upset. Would love to see a f*** you Bowman chant game 1

Reactions: ZJuice

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

Hopefully people read these reports and then pass judgement. People are allowed to atone for their mistakes in our society and when someone like Sheldon Kennedy endorses him that’s tells me he’s put the work in to make the necessary changes.

From a pure hockey related standpoint I’m not crazy about it but with JJ now fully in command and with his oversight I’ll see what happens and give it the benefit of the doubt.

I’m sorry but this is not something anyone should ever be able to “atone for” and just pick back up where they left off in their life. His actions, or rather inactions played a major role in this abuser being given the opportunity to harm even more people.

Every single person involved with the organization at the time who had any knowledge of these incidents shouldn’t ever be allowed to work in the NHL again. They all made a decision to allow someone who needed to be turned over to police and investigated immediately, to instead resign in order to save face and allow him to continue doing all of the horrible shit he was doing.

I don’t care who gives you a letter of reference after something like that. You should have to spend every day of your life working towards improving yourself and making the world a safer place for everyone, especially the abused, on top of never being allowed to work in the NHL again.

This guy has the privilege of being able to do almost anything he wants with the amount of money he’s made, but for some reason so many people are talking like he “needs another chance”.
Like hell he does. When you take a chance with someone who’s been at best, complacent in covering up something like sexual assault, the risk is so insanely skewed away from the person who should be the one held accountable, and instead you put every single person in the organization at risk.

As a fan, I’m glad they announced this in July, because as bad as this team has been at times over the years, I’ve never once felt like rooting for them wasn’t at all aligned with my own moral compass, whereas this hire has done exactly that. I understand that many are going to look past everything and continue to unapologetically cheer their hearts out for this club, but I’m certain I’m not the only one who is questioning whether this team, or honestly the NHL as a whole is the kind of organization you want to support in any way.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think there’s a decent chance Bowman is sincere about his apologies and desire to make things better.

What I don’t understand is why take that risk as an organization when he isn’t even a particularly good GM.
Just Oiler things. Had to fulfill an embarrassment quota.

Why even hire a GM in the first place? Especially the one that gave Seth Jones that abysmal contract.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I’m sorry but this is not something anyone should ever be able to “atone for” and just pick back up where they left off in their life. His actions, or rather inactions played a major role in this abuser being given the opportunity to harm even more people.

Every single person involved with the organization at the time who had any knowledge of these incidents shouldn’t ever be allowed to work in the NHL again. They all made a decision to allow someone who needed to be turned over to police and investigated immediately, to instead resign in order to save face and allow him to continue doing all of the horrible shit he was doing.

I don’t care who gives you a letter of reference after something like that. You should have to spend every day of your life working towards improving yourself and making the world a safer place for everyone, especially the abused, on top of never being allowed to work in the NHL again.

This guy has the privilege of being able to do almost anything he wants with the amount of money he’s made, but for some reason so many people are talking like he “needs another chance”.
Like hell he does. When you take a chance with someone who’s been at best, complacent in covering up something like sexual assault, the risk is so insanely skewed away from the person who should be the one held accountable, and instead you put every single person in the organization at risk.

As a fan, I’m glad they announced this in July, because as bad as this team has been at times over the years, I’ve never once felt like rooting for them wasn’t at all aligned with my own moral compass, whereas this hire has done exactly that. I understand that many are going to look past everything and continue to unapologetically cheer their hearts out for this club, but I’m certain I’m not the only one who is questioning whether this team, or honestly the NHL as a whole is the kind of organization you want to support in any way.
Excellent post

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
You are right, in the end it is impossible to know.
All we know is what we are told.
We can be suspicious about anything and everything.
Like maybe Jackson only was allowed to make good trades because those were payment for allowing Bowman back in the league? We can push conspiracy or theories about it all. Or we can take what we are told at face value until we are told otherwise.

What is KNOWN though:
- His actions led to a minor being abused
- He was given a slap on the wrist ultimately
- He worked with SA organization to learn more about how to prevent this in the future
- He waltzed into the best job in hockey 14 days after being reinstated
- Objectively bad GM
- Huge fan blowback and horrible PR

Those are known things right? Its not a great scene regardless of how you spin it.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

This is sports as a whole. Every pro sports leagues have this or worse either out in the open or covered up.
If this really bugs you and effects you to that level (which is completely allowed to), most likely to have to bail on pro sports as a whole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad