Player Discussion Jonas Höglund

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Anyone here remember this guy?

What are you guys memories of him? What did he bring to the ice?

just curious. I have a thing for retired swedes.

Screenshot_13.png

Screenshot_12.png

Mckay

One does not simply... Ooo Coffee.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
He received a lot of hate because he was miscast as Sundin's winger. Best current comparison I can think of is imagine how the fans would react if Jarnkrok was on the first line with Matthews for a few seasons. Kinda wasting your star's prime.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He received a lot of hate because he was miscast as Sundin's winger. Best current comparison I can think of is imagine how the fans would react if Jarnkrok was on the first line with Matthews for a few seasons. Kinda wasting your star's prime.

Jarnkrok is a much better player than Hoglund ever was as a Leaf

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
As with Bozak, Kessel, and many others, he was forced into a top line role because of how bad the team was.

Decent player, probably would have been fine on the second line.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
The leafs were really thin on the wing at that time. Hoglund had good chemistry with Sundin but couldn’t finish often enough.

Sundin was always forced to carry his lines as they never provided him with star linemates for most of his time in Toronto.

Reactions: fahad203

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
I hated him in a leaf's uniform. He had some skill but often turned away from contact. It lead to many broken plays and turn overs.

Reactions: fahad203

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
A offensive (only) winger who was likely good enough to play in the top 6 on a mediocre team. Stapled to Mats wing (to maximize Hoglunds output) on the 1st line on a team that us fans hoped was good enough to compete for Stanley Cups.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
As with Bozak, Kessel, and many others, he was forced into a top line role because of how bad the team was.

Decent player, probably would have been fine on the second line.

Kessel was a legit first line player.

He had his shortcomings (wasn't good defensively, didn't get involved physically etc), but he definitely had the talent to be a first liner. He carried TOR's top line offensively for years.

Reactions: banks and socko

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
As for Hoglund: He was pretty lackluster. You can say "meh." My original username here was "29GoalHoglund," which was based on the meme/notion that he was basically carried to decent success by Sundin.

Based on replies to this thread, he may have been even worse than I thought. For whatever reason, I thought he was at least a grinding type player who was solid defensively and could provide some offense playing with a star centre. It sounds like he was more of a soft scorer who was carried offensively and really shouldn't have been a first liner on a consistent playoff team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad