Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & EVP of Hockey Ops

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Well it's certainly his description of it.

That's the most cowardly statement I've ever read. Opening with pointing out that he was only a first year GM is quite something. I guess they don't tell you about not covering up sexual assault until year two.
Well, it appears his statement was strong enough that the victim bought it. I don't think Beach has an issue with Bowman based on what's been reported.

Reactions: TheOne

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Dawg I'm not the one contorting myself to stick up for a sex offender.
Do you even know the story ?Do you know what the picture even was? :laugh::laugh::laugh: I mean I don't care but clearly you don't know the actual story if you are still going on about this haha the kid was charged and payed his little swedish fine

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Lmao. Jeff Jackson creates a tonne of goodwill over the summer only to throw most of it in the bin over this garbage.

I can understand taking a flyer on Q, he's a great coach where the side show can be better justified. What's the upside here? You have to deal with a bunch of off ice crap for a mediocre or less than GM

Lmfao.
Absolutely. As GM, Bowman knew what had happened, claimed to report it, and that was that. He shrugged his shoulders. Q undoubtedly knew less, besides having a less replaceable skill set.

Katz is the problem.

These f***ing Oilers dragged me back in this spring, only for this to happen. It's just despicable.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
The only possible positive he could spin to get this GM gig to Oilers brass is that his drafting even with downswing in 2nd half of his time in Chicago is far better than what Oilers have done

Literally Oilers have been atrocious at drafting outside of #1, #2 and #3 picks in drafts

It's amazing they got so close to cup but two generational talents + a pretty good former #1 pick in RNH and a FA hit (Hyman) really covered up to an extent the awfulness and lack of depth because of years of lousy drafting

He also could point at his final two drafts which look fairly promising as sign he was improving after some poor years. Allan, Del Mastro, Kaiser, etc all look promising for Hawks
I dunno seems like his aiding and abetting a sexual predator should overshadow anything about his draft history, but that's just me (and almost everyone in this thread).

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Funnymanrocco

Jul 4, 2015
Edmonton
Are you serious? He gave a known sexual predator a positive performance review to his next employer and then molested a kid while in that position. If you don't think that makes him a POS then we have nothing to discuss here. Maybe try using Google next time.
No he didn’t lol. You try using Google. Nobody from the hawks gave a letter of recommendation. Bowman didn’t give a positive review. And he has a positive current relationship with Beach. Beach brought him in to work with his current team.

Reactions: Voight and TheOne

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Absolutely sickened by this hire as an Oilers fan. I get we're going to get piled on because most of you other fan bases hate our guts... but there are just as many in the Oilers fan base completely disgusted about this hire as well. A terrible f***ing call and hire by Jackson, and a god damn weird hill to die on considering that asshole's track record as a GM. He's a f***ing nepo baby hire because of his last name, another example of the 'good ol' boys' club who walked into a gold mine because of it and all the work Tallon did building the team, and now walks into this too.

Just a completely stupid, irrational choice and Jackson is a spineless craven for privating his twitter and hiding like this. Gutless, and a truly terrible hire. Just an awful day for Oilers fans.

We deserve everything coming our way on this. I still fuming but I'm pretty much getting off this sinking ship. I love hockey but I'm not supporting this move or franchise for doing it.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Jeff Jackson said in the press conference that he didn’t talk to any player before making this decision.
I dont believe that for one second. McDavid was definitely asked but you dont want the public to know he okayed the move. Jackson will assume all responsibility publicly if anything goes wrong.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Damn, and I was rooting for McDavid to win a Cup too. Ah well, will have to wait to do that until he goes to a different team.

Embarrassing for the Oilers and for the NHL writ large.

Same. Was rooting hard for the McDavid legacy cup this past playoffs. Won't be doing that again any time soon, I don't think. I hope the Oilers fall apart with Bowman at the helm -- it's what they deserve for hiring him.

Shame on the NHL for even making this a possibility. Should've been a lifetime ban.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Not much to say that hasn't already been said. Giving a known abuser a letter of recommendation to work in a high school is some vile, unthinkable shit. You actually have to have worms in your brain to be that evil

• Haha
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Do you even know the story ?Do you know what the picture even was? :laugh::laugh::laugh: I mean I don't care but clearly you don't know the actual story if you are still going on about this haha the kid was charged and payed his little swedish fine
Cool guy:
Mailloux allegedly photographed the woman while the pair were engaging in oral sex and later distributed the picture to his teammates in a group chat on Snap Chat. Police say he also provided a screenshot that showed her online profile, including her photo, first name and age.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
No he didn’t lol. You try using Google. Nobody from the hawks gave a letter of recommendation. Bowman didn’t give a positive review. And he has a positive current relationship with Beach. Beach brought him in to work with his current team.
Does he have a positive relationship with the kid who Aldrich molested due to the Hawks covering for him? It's been widely reported that they gave him a positive review. Even if they didn't they still covered for him.

Looking at facts and quotes instead of joining the mob.
You're looking at lies not facts. Even if his statement is true (it's not) then he's even dumber than I thought. Why would he not follow up on the reported incident or at least find out what happened. Flat out incompetence if he didn't but you have to be very naive to believe he didn't know it was a sexual assault until many years after.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Same. Was rooting hard for the McDavid legacy cup this past playoffs. Won't be doing that again any time soon, I don't think. I hope the Oilers fall apart with Bowman at the helm -- it's what they deserve for hiring him.

Shame on the NHL for even making this a possibility. Should've been a lifetime ban.
If it was a NA market outside NY, LA, or Chicago (lol) trying to hire him it would have been shot down IMO; but since its a Canadian team and Edmonton at that, they allowed it

The press wouldnt have been worth it to the NHL for some measly small market team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad