Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & EVP of Hockey Ops

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
And I don't really have the stomach to listen to a bunch of people minimizing the role of the individuals involved in covering up the sexual assault of a teenager. But being good at sport ball cleanses all sins so maybe I should expect it.
Give me a break when you immediately leaped to comparing Stan Bowman to OJ Simpson. Nobody "minimized" anything. Please step off the soap box.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
my point is that the backlash to hiring a guy who covered up sexual abuse of a player + gave the perpetrator a job recommendation that allowed him to go on to assault minors should be far greater than the backlash that the jackets got last year for hiring babcock, which was deafening at the time.

It seems like the Oilers president and interim GM has already put his Twitter profile to private.

No one is defending it, not even Oilers fans, and I legitimately have no idea why the Jackets are a topic of conversation here. Even if some of their fans did defend the Babcock hire + doubled down when the speculation of his bullshit spread again the instant he met with BJ players.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
So what exactly did he do?
Seeing everyone jumping on the guy and it makes sense that Oilers could have easily avoided this drama.. but exactly what makes this person a POS so that I could join in the bashing fun.
He did nothing. He knew what happened and didn't report anything or follow up on anything. And Aldrich carried on. He portrayed himself as basically not wanting to rock the boat, and not having any power, at the time.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Uh, Talon was the GM when Hossa signed?

There was power struggle going on at time that started when John Mcdonaugh and eventually Scotty Bowman joined organization

It culminated in offseason of 2009 though was first apparent with Savard/Q situation

Tallon was on outs and wanted to sign Havlet Longterm. Bowmans could bring in Hossa and got approval of Hawks ownership

Add in RFA fiasco (Blame pointed at Bowman's or Tallon depending on side of fence people were on)

Tallon was out less then 2 weeks later officially, but he essentially was out of power before FA. 2009 moves were Bowman moves

Signing Havlat longterm would have crippled franchise and likely Hawks never win a cup if Tallon had won power struggle

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
What a sick f***ing joke the Oilers have become.

It's not even like Bowman is a competent GM, this is a Chiarelli-level hiring. But, you know, with covered up sexual abuse thrown in. Shameful.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
You're right. I always thought it was Bowman.
Uh, Talon was the GM when Hossa signed?
Well that's were the politics get involved. Who was GM for this summer signings for the Oilers?

Tallon didn't want to sign Hossa, he wanted to sign Havlat. Tallon didn't want to fire Savard as HC the season before either. That didn't stop him from having to do that. The team president McDonough the also most responsible for not doing things about Aldrich, followed the ideas of the Bowman coalition over Tallons desires. So while Dale was still GM, many decisions Stan/Scotty Bowman recommended were done like signing Hossa over Havlat. And in multiple ways Tallon made things clear he didn't want to do them, like firing Savard and saying it was a team decision.

But the value of Stan was his father's connections, but do they even help at this point anymore? Not like they did 15 years ago

Reactions: Canovin

cc

Feb 28, 2002
If enough season ticket holders and corporate sponsors voice their displeasure, maybe this can be reversed.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad