Around the league part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
cliff notes or a timestamp on the podcast?
Don't remember the exact time, sorry. It was a very quick slip in there, and I'm not sure what he was referring to. But he made it sound like the league stepped in and stopped them from doing it even though they let it slide before.

Maybe someone else who heard the podcast can corroborate or add anything for me?

Reactions: tny760

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
In fairness regarding Gudas, the Kings actually tried to sign him. League stepped in and said no. Yannetti mentioned that on the podcast too.

Funny you mention this, I was listening to this Episode today. When Yanneti mentioned Gudas I did a double take and had to rewind. Heard Gudas again and I was like, WTF!?

cliff notes or a timestamp on the podcast?

36:13

@Raccoon Jesus

Didn't even know this...
Radko Gudas: "Participated in 2009 Los Angeles Kings Training Camp"

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Here's a pic of Gudas from the 2009 training camp.
2009-nhl-headshots.jpg

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
not something i'm actually upset about but man, imagine nailing doughty/karlsson in that 08 draft then pulling gudas to start the next year and cernak a few years out

just funny how things work out sometimes

Reactions: kingsfan28

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Funny you mention this, I was listening to this Episode today. When Yanneti mentioned Gudas I did a double take and had to rewind. Heard Gudas again and I was like, WTF!?

@Raccoon Jesus

Didn't even know this...

Yeah, a couple people from LGK (one was losingsand) and I watched him at camp and were very hopeful the Kings would sign him. He was a beast and even laying hip checks. We were joking that Gudas should be called "Gud Ass" because of how he nailed some hip checks.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
In fairness regarding Gudas, the Kings actually tried to sign him. League stepped in and said no. Yannetti mentioned that on the podcast too.
And with Whitecloud, it's not like the Kings didn't want to sign him. He just chose Vegas.

edit: went back to the rosters from the time, and I think it's fair to say that a RHD coming out of college at the time had alot easier a time making it onto Vegas' roster than LA's. Vegas had Miller as a potential long-term guy at the time and was still building it's off-roster depth. LA had Drew plus Roy/Walker in the AHL.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
And with Whitecloud, it's not like the Kings didn't want to sign him. He just chose Vegas

I mean, it's an example.

If you want me to create a list...it's getting to be a big ass list.

When it's one guy it's a one-off, sure. But when you 'can't'/won't/don't handle these guys properly then watching them having success all over the league, it becomes a rule, not an exception.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
I mean, it's an example.

When it's one guy it's a one-off, sure. But when you 'can't'/won't/don't handle these guys properly then watching them having success all over the league, it becomes a rule, not an exception.
I'm sure there's quite a list, but is it that LA has done worse with this than others or just us being more in tune with the guys LA has gotten rid of? On the Kings roster alone, Fiala/Danault (and to a lesser extent Moore) all fit that criteria

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I hate Vegas. I hate that the NHL gave these new expansion teams a ridiculous advantage. But nothing but credit to the Golden Knights front office for being smart and super aggressive, while taking advantage of every loophole afforded to them. Yes the LTIR cap circumvention thing sucks, but that's on the league and until it's changed teams should take advantage of it.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I mean, it's an example.

I bet you could look at any team and see the same pattern. Some guys look at the team that drafted them or a camp tryout and think I have no shot here with that depth, then look elsewhere, like an expansion team where there are 8 spots open. I think Cal was like this in his choice with LA. Whitecloud was a walk on/camp invitee wasn't he?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

@Raccoon Jesus

Didn't even know this...

Wasn’t there a whole Radko Gudas saga, featuring like two different Radko Gudases? Am I crazy or was that a thing?

GameNight

Dec 5, 2021
I believe there's a more detailed version of the Gudas story is in last summer's interview with Yanetti on KOTP

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Wasn’t there a whole Radko Gudas saga, featuring like two different Radko Gudases? Am I crazy or was that a thing?
Juraj Mikus.
I think he played in Manchester and there was another player with the same name and nobody could figure out which guy was on the team, or something to that effect

GameNight

Dec 5, 2021
Further to the shot blocking of Martinez & McNabb... Also LDs, but with the Kings abruptly ending rebuild #9 was it really all that necessary to jettison *Martinez?

Also, to later trade Forbort 6 days later for a 4th rounder- the guy they chose to protect over exposing McNabb is just __________

it's now proven you can keep both of those guys and still win a Stanley Cup

sorry, I just can't resist- Mike Amadio was traded for Wolanin, aka the LD replacement for all other LDs

*they would later use the Martinez picks to trade for Lias Anderson and trade the other pick to pick Pinelli

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
In an alternate universe the Kings have just won their 5th consecutive Stanley Cup with Gudas and Doughty anchoring the blueline and Eichel as their 1C.

EjqOcK9VkAEA-Oq.jpg

Reactions: johnjm22

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Juraj Mikus.
I think he played in Manchester and there was another player with the same name and nobody could figure out which guy was on the team, or something to that effect

Shit that’s right! Thanks. Gudas felt wrong but I vaguely remembered something like that happening.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
I mean I mentioned it before but it's just an ongoing testament to the fact that the Kings don't know how to utilize/deploy guys. Think of all the guys contributing on contending rosters around the league that are ex Kings, even just from camps--they can identify talent and then don't know what the f*** to do with it.

Amadio being a 1st liner this playoff run
Everyone knows Cernak, but Eyssimont couldn't get off the reign yet had no problem playing in WPG or in the playoffs on TBL
Guys like Gudas and Whitecloud were even at Kings camps

There is ZERO doubt in my mind the moment the Kings let Kaliyev go he's taking a 2nd line shift getting 40 goals elsewhere, Spence turns into Spurgeon 2.0, etc
unfortunately, we seem to be the california angels of los angeles equivalent in the nhl. fun to cheer on all the ex kings though.

They even showed the jazz hands goal earlier in the game.

For accuracy’s sake, Blake has his name on there twice.
thanks. i guess that was from blake's time as asst gm. heh

Reactions: Nasti
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad