Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News - Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I have little faith in the prospect pool making a difference until 3-4 years from now. One bad year turns into a few pretty easily.
Need more faith in the prospects but also free agency could become key, who knows what can or will be signed in the years to come. Im not even saying we will miss the playoffs, 10 points could easily just be a 3rd place in the central finish.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Need more faith in the prospects but also free agency could become key, who knows what can or will be signed in the years to come. Im not even saying we will miss the playoffs, 10 points could easily just be a 3rd place in the central finish.

Lose 10p to a trash team for no good reason. Lose 5-10p because no Fiala. Lose 5-10p because players fall back to earth. That's right on the fringe.

Free agency is a pipe dream for the Wild with all their dead cap and unmovable players.

There Wild don't have the FWD prospects for me to have faith in while Kaprizov is under his contract. They are relying on this current draft class (3+ years away) and Rossi.

I also think Kap runs for the hills as soon as he can as a UFA.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Lose 10p to a trash team for no good reason. Lose 5-10p because no Fiala. Lose 5-10p because players fall back to earth. That's right on the fringe.

Free agency is a pipe dream for the Wild with all their dead cap and unmovable players.

There Wild don't have the FWD prospects for me to have faith in while Kaprizov is under his contract. They are relying on this current draft class (3+ years away) and Rossi.

I also think Kap runs for the hills as soon as he can as a UFA.
Kap could easily run for the hills and I wont blame him, however we do not know that we are losing 30 points and even if we do, ill happily accept it this one year where the top of the draft class is supposed to be quite stacked at C which seems to be our biggest need. maybe it turns into 2 years sure but our young defense maturing along with the young forwards we currently have takin steps forward makes me think it is quite difficult to be out of the playoffs for long even with our current rostered players for the next 3 years. Losing Fiala hurts, it might not hurt to the point it costs us 10 points.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
At least we have nothing to do with that Nishuchkin contract. Blech!

(8 years x 6.5)

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
At least we have nothing to do with that Nishuchkin contract. Blech!

(8 years x 6.5)
It will look good (for a while) if he continues to produce like he did this year, but if he reverts it'll be pretty awful. Thing is, he was 8th on the Avalanche in scoring this year, which is higher than usual for him, but not THAT much higher. He's normally about 10th. It's just that the Avs as a team scored so much this year that their depth scorers now look like they should earn that much money.

For comparison's sake, he finished 8th on their team with 52 points in 62 games this year. In his rookie year he finished 6th on Dallas with 34 points in 79 games. If the team scoring steps back, so will his own. All that said, he brings more than depth scoring to the table, so it's a little like judging JEE's contract based solely off his production.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
It will look good (for a while) if he continues to produce like he did this year, but if he reverts it'll be pretty awful. Thing is, he was 8th on the Avalanche in scoring this year, which is higher than usual for him, but not THAT much higher. He's normally about 10th. It's just that the Avs as a team scored so much this year that their depth scorers now look like they should earn that much money.

For comparison's sake, he finished 8th on their team with 52 points in 62 games this year. In his rookie year he finished 6th on Dallas with 34 points in 79 games. If the team scoring steps back, so will his own. All that said, he brings more than depth scoring to the table, so it's a little like judging JEE's contract based solely off his production.
This is a fair comparison, and I agree that this contract will look good for a few years. His analytics are insane, off the charts compared to most anyone in the league but I do think the end of the deal won't look as good, but his percentage of cap will lower significantly throughout the next 8 years, which will make it easier to stomach.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Kap could easily run for the hills and I wont blame him, however we do not know that we are losing 30 points and even if we do, ill happily accept it this one year where the top of the draft class is supposed to be quite stacked at C which seems to be our biggest need. maybe it turns into 2 years sure but our young defense maturing along with the young forwards we currently have takin steps forward makes me think it is quite difficult to be out of the playoffs for long even with our current rostered players for the next 3 years. Losing Fiala hurts, it might not hurt to the point it costs us 10 points.

Losing 20-30p isn't enough for a top pick. It's enough to be picking in the 10 to 15 range. So why do we want to throw away points against an awful team like CHI?

I don't really care about the d-men; MN has so many and they are older. It's the FWDs that are my concern.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Losing 20-30p isn't enough for a top pick. It's enough to be picking in the 10 to 15 range. So why do we want to throw away points against an awful team like CHI?

I don't really care about the d-men; MN has so many and they are older. It's the FWDs that are my concern.
which is why i would want to tank this year and go get that high end talent projected to be in the top 5.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
which is why i would want to tank this year and go get that high end talent projected to be in the top 5.

Just trade Kaprizov. You'll get 3 years of awful teams and be just like the CHI team that you're jealous of.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
A lot can happen during a season that can cause a 1 year dip without becoming a systemic organizational problem. I think we're probably going to see something like it this year anyway.
Especially if the medium term strategy is (necessarily) to bank on internal improvement from prospects, especially Boldy and Rossi. Next season could well be the worst we see from the both of them, but you'd think they'll start trending up in 2023-24 and beyond.

Between that, our blueline looking very pedestrian, and relying on a mix of geezers and Wallstedt in goal, this team could be all over the place for the next three seasons. And next year going down the tubes wouldn't be the worst case scenario in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad