Around the League: News/Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I may be wrong, but aren't all 4 of those home games in a row? Meaning they basically have a single home-stand sandwiched between two giant road stretches until they return home on December 9th.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I may be wrong, but aren't all 4 of those home games in a row? Meaning they basically have a single home-stand sandwiched between two giant road stretches until they return home on December 9th.

Well, it should help in their quest of

Tank hard for Bedard
giphy.gif

Soul Rebel

Aug 19, 2019
It all keeps getting more and more bleak, regardless of expectations that it becomes bleak AF

Well. seems like we're on the Burakovsky or bust train now. Still think a trade for Puljujarvi makes a ton of sense too. Two young, big wingers to flank our two young centers.

McCann - Gourde - Eberle
Burakovsky - Beniers - Pulj
Schwartz - Wright - Tanev
Donato - Wennberg - Geekie

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Johnny Hockey apparently got an 8 year 76 million offer from Calgary but has not accepted it. Would you pay more than that? I would not.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Buffalo literally does not have a spot in their top 9 for jvr without moving or benching one of the kids that should be getting development time.

They also should be ok to reach the floor now that they added Bishop. (They still have their RFAs to sign and need 2 goalies).

Phoenix, however, could be a destination. Anaheim is also my dark horse to find themselves below the cap this season and needing to add a big contract.
Buffalo still hasn't signed Victor Olofsson. If they don't, they'd have a spot for JVR, would hit the floor, presumably gain an asset for taking the contract and have one year of a PP guy instead of Olofsson. It's not an impossibility.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Buffalo still hasn't signed Victor Olofsson. If they don't, they'd have a spot for JVR, would hit the floor, presumably gain an asset for taking the contract and have one year of a PP guy instead of Olofsson. It's not an impossibility.
That post you quoted was a month old and things change, but it is still very likely Olofsson gets signed.

The coaching staff and the team really like him, and they have the cap. Add there is a belief around the organization that Olofsson is going to break out (he played half the season with an injured wrist where he couldn't (and didn't) shoot the puck, and still potted 20 goals and nearly 50 points.

Unless his contract demands are ridiculous, he should be a Sabre for at least a couple more years.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
I think Perron could help us right away. His age is a factor but if he agrees to sign for 2 years, we can throw some money at him + no state income tax.

Perron would be a fantastic addition to the Kraken. He will certainly have options though. Great team mate who spends a lot of time with the younger players helping and teaching them about playing at the NHL level.

Reactions: Sad People

Soul Rebel

Aug 19, 2019

6'5" 27 yo defenseman. Don't know enough about him, but seems like many folks are jumping ship in Calgary.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Klingberg off the market. Did not get term but did get his AAV.

That's like the Taylor Hall deal with Buffalo. 10-1 the Ducks move him at the deadline for (maybe) a first rounder or something similar. Good move for them with the cap space they had.

My money would be on Ruff fired first too and Hakstol second.

Unfortunately Francis would probably hire his buddy Rick Tocchet.
I would hope not.
Barry Trotz is the best coach currently not coaching. Claude Julien might be worth considering.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
That's like the Taylor Hall deal with Buffalo. 10-1 the Ducks move him at the deadline for (maybe) a first rounder or something similar. Good move for them with the cap space they had.

My money would be on Ruff fired first too and Hakstol second.

I would hope not.
Barry Trotz is the best coach currently not coaching. Claude Julien might be worth considering.

I don't see any of them coming here at this point of their careers and with us starting out/building for just the second year.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
I don't see any of them coming here at this point of their careers and with us starting out/building for just the second year.
Well Claude Julien's been out of work (in terms of head coaching) for a while so why wouldn't he come here? Trotz is maybe trickier. He has some family issues that he wants/needs to deal with but if he wanted to coach and you gave him some term on a good contract I don't see why not.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Well Claude Julien's been out of work (in terms of head coaching) for a while so why wouldn't he come here? Trotz is maybe trickier. He has some family issues that he wants/needs to deal with but if he wanted to coach and you gave him some term on a good contract I don't see why not.

Maybe Julien would be interested, but I'm actually not that big of a fan of his.

If we do sack Hakstol I'd first look at Jay Leach, given that he's already on the radar of teams.
If I don't like that I'd look around what else is left and might even get a little bit creative.

Overall I'm not a big fan of that NHL culture to recycle everyone all the time where about 35 guys can coach those 32 teams while basically the same goes for those GM spots.

BTW: I've said it before, but I wouldn't mind giving Marco Sturm a chance as a head coach in the NHL:
He's been an assistant with the Kings for a few years and is now going to be the head coach of their AHL afiiliate.
He also coached Germany to a silver medal at the 2018 Olympics.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Maybe Julien would be interested, but I'm actually not that big of a fan of his.

If we do sack Hakstol I'd first look at Jay Leach, given that he's already on the radar of teams.
If I don't like that I'd look around what else is left and might even get a little bit creative.

Overall I'm not a big fan of that NHL culture to recycle everyone all the time where about 35 guys can coach those 32 teams while basically the same goes for those GM spots.

BTW: I've said it before, but I wouldn't mind giving Marco Sturm a chance as a head coach in the NHL:
He's been an assistant with the Kings for a few years and is now going to be the head coach of their AHL afiiliate.
I'm curious, but why aren't you a fan of Claude Julien?

In my opinion he'd fit nicely into developing the team oriented defensively responsible tenacious attack type thing that's been talked about as an identity. A Boston style team if you will with Beniers/Wright as his new Krejci/Bergeron.

I know some people (and I'm guessing that's you too) think you need new guys for the new league, but that's what they said about Bruce Boudreau too, and he took the Canucks from near bottom to just missing the playoffs in a hurry. Old guys know how to adapt too.

The problem imo with going with unknowns like a Sturm is it's a gamble, and these guys have to learn on the job and many of them have big ideas that fail miserably. Look at Buffalo going with a string of young GMs and young unproven (at an NHL level) coaches and they failed one after another. The current pair has a chance now with a pretty solid prospect pool but they might still fail too. Kevin Adams has received praise for his Eichel and Ristolainen deals
but he's thoroughly cocked up the goaltending there and they're putting a lot of faith in an unproven Comrie. Point is, experience does matter.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I'm curious, but why aren't you a fan of Claude Julien?

In my opinion he'd fit nicely into developing the team oriented defensively responsible tenacious attack type thing that's been talked about as an identity. A Boston style team if you will with Beniers/Wright as his new Krejci/Bergeron.

I know some people (and I'm guessing that's you too) think you need new guys for the new league, but that's what they said about Bruce Boudreau too, and he took the Canucks from near bottom to just missing the playoffs in a hurry. Old guys know how to adapt too.

The problem imo with going with unknowns like a Sturm is it's a gamble, and these guys have to learn on the job and many of them have big ideas that fail miserably. Look at Buffalo going with a string of young GMs and young unproven (at an NHL level) coaches and they failed one after another. The current pair has a chance now with a pretty solid prospect pool but they might still fail too. Kevin Adams has received praise for his Eichel and Ristolainen deals
but he's thoroughly cocked up the goaltending there and they're putting a lot of faith in an unproven Comrie. Point is, experience does matter.

I don't think Julien develops todays young talent as it's not 2005 anymore.
I also didn't really like his stint in Montreal and it seems most Habs fans were happy when he was let go.

Overall it's not as much against Julien per se, but rather about the old boys club of the NHL that just recycles folks all the time and doesn't seem to be willing to let younger/new guys get their chance.

Cause as nice as it is to have some experience, you've got to let other ideas in the league and that won't happen with the experienced old folks that get recycled like there's no tomorrow.

BTW: I would restrain from ever bringing up the Sabres and their decisions(no matter which ones) as a reference to anything hockey related.
They've been run by inept morons(one's currently our assistant GM, cause everyone get's recycled) and are hoping to finally have found something solid with Adams.

Also, the guy you mostly referring to is Ralph Krueger who had nothing to do with hockey for about five years, before he took over the Sabres, cause he was working for Southampton football club in England.

Sturm, on the other hand, has been an assistant coach in the NHL for quite a few seasons, will now be the head coach in the AHL and has coached international hockey for team Germany, while not taking a break doing some other sport.

So I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

Loved Marco on the Sharks. Such a cerebral player. I haven't paid much attention to his coaching career, but I imagine he is not quite ready for an NHL gig. But it would be cool for him to be the eventual coach if he has a couple of years of success with the Reign.

The character and demeanor are definitely there, but would not want to rush him into a position he might not be ready for.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
I don't think Julien develops todays young talent as it's not 2005 anymore.
I also didn't really like his stint in Montreal and it seems most Habs fans were happy when he was let go.

Overall it's not as much against Julien per se, but rather about the old boys club of the NHL that just recycles folks all the time and doesn't seem to be willing to let younger/new guys get their chance.

Cause as nice as it is to have some experience, you've got to let other ideas in the league and that won't happen with the experienced old folks that get recycled like there's no tomorrow.

BTW: I would restrain from ever bringing up the Sabres and their decisions(no matter which ones) as a reference to anything hockey related.
They've been run by inept morons(one's currently our assistant GM, cause everyone get's recycled) and are hoping to finally have found something solid with Adams.

Also, the guy you mostly referring to is Ralph Krueger who had nothing to do with hockey for about five years, before he took over the Sabres, cause he was working for Southampton football club in England.

Sturm, on the other hand, has been an assistant coach in the NHL for quite a few seasons, will now be the head coach in the AHL and has coached international hockey for team Germany, while not taking a break doing some other sport.

So I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Not just Kruger, Housley as well. Also all 3 GMs under the Pegula ownership were 1st time GMs so that's definitely not recycling, but it definitely failed.

I'm not sure it's recycling when you're hiring experienced people. You have to have worked at that level to be experienced. Experience gives you credibility in a business where many times GMs can't afford to gamble for fear of losing their own jobs so they gravitate to experienced coaches.
the idea that older coaches can't relate to or develop young players though is dead wrong imo. Boudreau illustrates that as I pointed out. Trotz adapted in Washington. Will be interesting to see how Tortorella handles Philly. These guys learn too. I personally would put them ahead of the newbies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad