Around the League: News/Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Not just Kruger, Housley as well. Also all 3 GMs under the Pegula ownership were 1st time GMs so that's definitely not recycling, but it definitely failed.

I'm not sure it's recycling when you're hiring experienced people. You have to have worked at that level to be experienced. Experience gives you credibility in a business where many times GMs can't afford to gamble for fear of losing their own jobs so they gravitate to experienced coaches.
the idea that older coaches can't relate to or develop young players though is dead wrong imo. Boudreau illustrates that as I pointed out. Trotz adapted in Washington. Will be interesting to see how Tortorella handles Philly. These guys learn too. I personally would put them ahead of the newbies.

At some point you've got to give new people a chance or you're out of "people" to work those jobs.
The Oilers gave their 35 year old AHL coach the chance and he helped them last season.
Of course, just like with everyone, he's got to show it for more than just about half a season.

Boudreau is a great motivator that is fun to be around for fans and jouranlists because of his style in interviews.

Though, as nice as this turnaround in Vancouver was, there's also the fact that Green was just terrible at basics like defense(unless Markstrom or Demko bailed them out, they got run over by everyone) and then there's also the fact that Boudreau has always dissapointed(in regards to expectations) when it comes to playoff performance.

So like I've said, we'll probably have to agree to disagree on giving younger guys a chance not what we both think recycling of NHL coaches, gm's etc. is.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
At some point you've got to give new people a chance or you're out of "people" to work those jobs.
The Oilers gave their 35 year old AHL coach the chance and he helped them last season.
Of course, just like with everyone, he's got to show it for more than just about half a season.

Boudreau is a great motivator that is fun to be around for fans and jouranlists because of his style in interviews.

Though, as nice as this turnaround in Vancouver was, there's also the fact that Green was just terrible at basics like defense(unless Markstrom or Demko bailed them out, they got run over by everyone) and then there's also the fact that Boudreau has always dissapointed(in regards to expectations) when it comes to playoff performance.

So like I've said, we'll probably have to agree to disagree on giving younger guys a chance not what we both think recycling of NHL coaches, gm's etc. is.
We definitely aren't going to agree, and that's fine, but just have to point out that Green was one of those guys with lots of coaching but not at the NHL head coach level.
I'm not against a younger guy who has had a fair bit of assistant coach experience like Detroit hiring Lalonde for example, but anything like that is still a gamble.

idk, the important thing imo is the GM has to have a clear vision of the team's style and type of play. He then has to hire a coach that shares that same vision and they bring in players that will fit that system going forward. When any of these things are not in sync it doesn't work. I think this season will give us a better idea of what that style/vision is. I hope.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Who else said “f***!” When they saw that? I don’t like Pacific teams getting better.
Yeah. I was thinking Flames were gonna take a step back after Gaudreau signed in Columbus. The Tkachuk trade works in their favor if they can re-sign Weegar long-term. And now, with moving Monahan out and adding Kadri, they will be a tough team to play against. Especially in a Sutter system.

Reactions: The Marquis

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Who else said “f***!” When they saw that? I don’t like Pacific teams getting better.
Not me.

Seeing Calgary sign a 32 year old to a 7 year big contract and give up a first in the process is great news. This move will be crippling for Calgary by the time Seattle hit's their contention window.

Would not be surprised to see this move cost them two of Lindholm, Weegar, or Hanifin, and their farm is not deep enough to sustain those losses.

Treliving teaching a master class on how to mortgage the future to stay competitive and never win a cup.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Not me.

Seeing Calgary sign a 32 year old to a 7 year big contract and give up a first in the process is great news. This move will be crippling for Calgary by the time Seattle hit's their contention window.

Would not be surprised to see this move cost them two of Lindholm, Weegar, or Hanifin, and their farm is not deep enough to sustain those losses.

Treliving teaching a master class on how to mortgage the future to stay competitive and never win a cup.
Thats exactly how I fell too

Reactions: Irie

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Not me.

I think you are digging too deep in here. Long term, the deal is very likely to hurt the Flames. But short term, I would like it if our division rivals are not getting stronger. While I still think we are not quite ready to make the playoffs this season, playing against weaker division rivals would just increase our chance of doing better this season.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I think you are digging too deep in here. Long term, the deal is very likely to hurt the Flames. But short term, I would like it if our division rivals are not getting stronger. While I still think we are not quite ready to make the playoffs this season, playing against weaker division rivals would just increase our chance of doing better this season.

I have a different view. I want the Kings, Flames, Oilers all to sacrifice their futures to go all in now.

Another year of tough competition and a little higher draft pick in a great draft next year doesn't influence the longterm outlook for Seattle, but only helps, imo.

On the other hand, had Calgary moved Gaudreau for young blue chip prospects and then resigned Lindholm and Tkachuk, instead of 29 year old Huberdeau for 8 years and 32 year old Kadri for 7 years for almost 18M of payroll, I would be a lot more worried.

The west belongs to Colorado until the cap dismantles their core. Seattle should recognize this and stay the patient slow build course, and set themselves up for a prolonged window for contending after the Avs aren't such a juggernaut. When that window hits, it would be good to have the Flames/Kings/Oilers all crippled by aging vets and bad contracts instead of sitting with a strong farm and up and coming stars.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I wouldnt necessarily say the Flames got stronger compared to their team last year If anything they were lateral moves but did In fact get older

Their window lines up perfectly for our teams plans and our "hopeful" cup window, Their window Is closing while ours Is just beginning

Playing against strong competition Is a good barometer of how much farther this team needs to go to make a strong case to being true cup contenders. Are we really getting all that better If we played or are playing against lesser competition? Calgarys 111 points last year would of been good for 3rd place In the central division not 1st

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Calgary is one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the West but there's maybe 7 or 8 teams in the East that are just as good. Most rebuilding clubs are in the West and all but a few in the East are primed to leave their rebuilds soon (Ottawa, Columbus, Detroit, New Jersey, and Buffalo are all taking a step).

I don't really feel any kind of change with Calgary loading up because the West is still the much easier conference. Though if the Kraken wait too long on getting to contention then there will be a lot more young stars emerging in the West, with all the rebuilding clubs based in our conference. The Sharks, Hawks, Coyotes, etc... might all be loaded up with top young talent in five years. Now would be the best time to be emerging in the West.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Not really.

I don't see us as a competitor right now anyways(after winning 27 games last year) and no matter what others do, we're the ones that need to improve if we want to go anywhere.

Also, like said before, they just signed a 32 year old to a seven year deal. Not just that, they signed him to that deal after he had a career year that was an absolute outlier to anything he's done so far in his career.

1) Good luck hoping that's the new normal for him.
2) Good luck starting in year four(at the latest) with that contract.

Like I've said, we need to get better and become more competitive first.
You'll also face other good teams in your conference and I'm actually more worried about those Kings, Ducks etc. standing in our way, once we're competitive, instead of Calgary.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Not really.

I don't see us as a competitor right now anyways(after winning 27 games last year) and no matter what others do, we're the ones that need to improve if we want to go anywhere.

Also, like said before, they just signed a 32 year old to a seven year deal. Not just that, they signed him to that deal after he had a career year that was an absolute outlier to anything he's done so far in his career.

1) Good luck hoping that's the new normal for him.
2) Good luck starting in year four(at the latest) with that contract.

Like I've said, we need to get better and become more competitive first.
You'll also face other good teams in your conference and I'm actually more worried about those Kings, Ducks etc. standing in our way, once we're competitive, instead of Calgary.

I don't think Kadri needs to score at the pace he did last season to justify that contract. It is pretty clear that his 87 points in 71 games over one season are more of an exception given his points per season over his career. If he can be good for 65 - 70 points as a 2-way center his contract will be well justified.

That being said, the contract is set up to age badly for sure. I expect him to be good for 3 years but after that all bets are off.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
I don't think Kadri needs to score at the pace he did last season to justify that contract. It is pretty clear that his 87 points in 71 games over one season are more of an exception given his points per season over his career. If he can be good for 65 - 70 points as a 2-way center his contract will be well justified.

That being said, the contract is set up to age badly for sure. I expect him to be good for 3 years but after that all bets are off.
It might be more important to see how many points he can keep McDavid from scoring when they play against each other.
I think Kadri's a good fit there and Sutter will definitely love him.

Huberdeau and Kadri in Thachuk and Goudreau out. Pretty even really.
Gudranson out Weeger in. Weeger's better.
Monahan out. Inconsequential.

Basically I think Calgary's about the same as they were but they also have stability for the next several years. Their fans must be happy with how it worked out. A while back it looked like they'd need a full rebuild.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

I view the ability to elevate linemates as a bigger indicator of justified salary than strictly points when you get into the 7M+ territory.

Kadri will pick up points in bunches playing with great players as a complimentary piece, but can he elevate linemates' play? He never has been able to in the past.

Burakovsky and Nichushkin were always more productive away from Kadri.

Nylander, Marleau, Kapanen, and a host of others were more productive away from him in Toronto.

Fact is that Kadri has regularly gotten 30% of his points on the PP playing alongside future HoF players. He's going to play with some pretty talented guys in Calgary, but the Flames are going to need him to drive some of the play, which he never has done. And a 7 year deal for a 32 year old with his track record is a pretty bad contract.

Love this signing as a Seattle fan. (29-36 year old Gaudreau + 24-32 year old Tkachuk) >>> (30-37 year old Huberdeau + 32-39 year old Kadri) imo, and it's not really close.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Interesting news around the league.

According to Bill Daly the salary cap could rise significantly after the 2023-24 season.

That would be a year earlier than people expected and would also be when we'll have to extend Beniers.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Remember when we were talking about what we’d give up for Nils Lundkvist? Well, was anybody expecting a 1st would go in return? Dallas btw.

Yeah, no chance we'd do that.

BTW: Philly's Couturier might be out for the season.

That's going to be quite the tankathon this season in hopes of Bedard.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad