Around the League: News/Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
The Aquilini Investment Group have been cited as Vancouver’s worst slumlords. They own massive blueberry farms, where they were caught denying farm workers water and bathroom breaks. Francesco Aquilini’s now grown children all swore under oath that he was physically abusive to them as they were growing up.
Douchebag is apt.

Well, I was pretty smashed when I posted that.

• Haha
Reactions: Kevinsane

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
As a former Canucks fan who cheered for them since 1970, they’re a train wreck of a franchise who will be no threat to the Kraken for at least five or six years. Anchor contracts, cap maxed, no prospects, a front office that contradicts itself every few months, and worst of all a meddling douchebag owner who fancies himself a great hockey mind.
Once the Kraken beat the Canucks expect it to become a regular occurrence.
That may be true but the storyline of the hometown kid going to his local team would be cool.

I think he's going to be under ridiculous pressure wherever he goes, the hype is unbelievable. If he goes to Chicago or someone terrible then he's going to have nothing around him and be expected to do it all himself. If he doesn't put up Crosby or McDavid numbers right away people will be piling on him despite that. At least somewhere like Vancouver he'd still have some weapons.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I know Boudreau isn't the greatest coach and you can always debate if the coach is the right one.
Though, looking at how the Canucks are handling this is just horrible, especially since he's actually one of the good guys overall.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
After being in last years craptastic race to the bottom the Kraken are in the race for a playoff spot this season.

Just about ten days before the All-Star break and with less than half a season to go the standings in the pacific look like this.

1 - Vegas --> 60 points --> 47 games played ---> 5-4-1(last ten)
2 - Seattle --> 59 points --> 46 games played ---> 7-2-1(last ten)
3 - Edmonton --> 57 points --> 48 games played ---> 7-2-1(last ten)
4 - Los Angeles --> 56 points --> 48 games played --> 5-5-0(last ten)
5 - Calgary --> 53 points --> 47 games played ---> 5-3-2(last ten)

That means there's a seven point gap between first and fith in the division(didn't include the bottom three who are at least 14 points out of 5th) with well over 30 games to go for everyone.

With the Avs also getting back on track it seems more and more that there won't be five teams from the pacific making the playoffs which means at least one of those five will be on the outside looking in.

The Kraken do have games on hand on everyone but that also means they'll have to play more games within the same amount of time as those others and will get less rest during that time.

So let's look at the season series against those other four teams.

Edmonton: 1-2-0 ---> lost tiebreaker
Calgary: 1-1-0 ---> final game of the season series on January 27th at home
Los Angeles: 3-0-0 --> won tiebreaker --> one more game April 2nd at home
Vegas: 1-1-0 ---> games 81 and 82 will be a home and away matchup with them

So overall the Kraken could win the season series against Calgary next week and make it two out of four, with Vegas being a toss up and potential nice call by the schedule makers.

Anyways, this should be interesting as long as the Kraken are able to keep avoiding big losing streaks and injuries while having a couple of three - five game winning stretches as well.

What do you guys think will happen.

Last edited:

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Must suck knowing you are a dead man walking. Just amateurish
Just a feces covered exercise in how not to treat someone. I don’t think Boudreau is Scotty Bowman or Al Arbour, but NOBODY deserves to be treated like that, especially when the Canucks didn’t dismiss Mike Yeo, who could’ve easily served as interim coach.
The whole thing was unnecessarily cruel.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
I would LOVE to know what Jordan Binnington’s temmates really think of him. The Blues are having a disastrous season, and Binnington continues to be a clown show.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
OK, as we had into the All-Star break and with 33 games to go for the Kraken, this is how the playoff picture in the Pacific Division looks like.

1 - Seattle --> 63 points ---> 49 games played --> 6-3-1(last ten)
2 - Vegas ---> 62 points ---> 51 games played ---> 2-6-2(last ten)
3 - Los Angeles ---> 62 points ---> 52 games played ---> 6-4-0(last ten)
4 - Edmonton ---> 60 points ---> 50 games played ---> 7-1-2(last ten)
5 - Calgary ---> 58 points ---> 50 games played ---> 5-3-2(last ten)

NHL Hockey Standings

Beating the Flames on Friday would've been nice cause it would've given us a ten point cusion but it is what it is and you can't change that anymore.
It's also still remarkeable to me that we're in the position we're in.

As far as seasion series agains division rivals goes I need to make a correction given that the Kraken will actually play the Oilers for a fourth time on March 18th at Climate Pledge Arena.

So far it looks like this.

Edmonton: 1-2-0 --> final game on March 18th at home
Calgary: 1-2-0 ---> lost season series/tiebreaker
Vegas: 1-1-0 --> two more games at the end of the regular season
Los Angeles: 3-0-0 --> won season series/tiebreaker ---> one more game at home on April 2nd at home

Overall the Kraken have put themselves in a pretty good position at the All-Star break and have a good chance to get one of those postseason spots.

Still, there are no guarantees and the team is just one bad stretch away from fighting to stay in the race.
Though, so far this season the team has been able to stop the bleeding and never gone on one of those tough losing streaks.

So let's hope the boys are able to keep on doing that for the remaining 33 games of the season.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Well, let's take another look at the playoff picture for the Kraken with 24 games to go.

Overall it seems like the strange difference between odd and even months continues for the team.
So far this (even)month the Kraken are 3-5-1 in February with two games(Toronto at home, St. Louis away) remaining.

Overall the Kraken are 21-4-2 in odd months(November & January), while they are 11-16-4 in even months(October, December, February) this season.

So you probably have to hope for the team to somehow split thow two remaining games in February, while doing there usual thing during an odd month in March.
And of course while not thinking about those games in April.

Here are the standings in the pacific.
1) Vegas --> 75 points --> 58 games played ---> 6-1-3(last ten)
2) Edmonton --> 72 points --> 59 games played ---> 5-1-4(last ten)
3) Los Angeles --> 72 points --> 59 games played --> 6-2-2(last ten)
4) Seattle ---> 70 points ---> 58 games played ---> 4-5-1(last ten)
5) Calgary --> 66 points ---> 59 games played ---> 4-3-3(last ten)

The Flames are currently 9th in the west and outside the playoff line while Nashville is behind them with 62 points on 58 games.

The Kraken will need to get back on track being the team trending the worst with a below NHL .500 record during their last ten games.

There's also been no changes in season series outcomes with Calgary(lost) and L.A.(won) already decided while Kraken could split the series with a win against Edmonton and will be playing their final two against Vegas during game 81 & 82 of the season.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Always wondered, other than TJ Oshie is there any players in the league from Seattle? Wonder if we will ever see a Kraken players from Seattle.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Always wondered, other than TJ Oshie is there any players in the league from Seattle? Wonder if we will ever see a Kraken players from Seattle.
Do you mean WA state or Seattle specifically?

Oshie from Burlington.
Tyler Johnson from Spokane.
Dylan Gambrel from Bonney Lake.
Derek Ryan from Spokane.

I knew all of the 4 but got curious and looked for more. Apparently Kailer Yamamoto is also from Spokane.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Do you mean WA state or Seattle specifically?

Oshie from Burlington.
Tyler Johnson from Spokane.
Dylan Gambrel from Bonney Lake.
Derek Ryan from Spokane.

I knew all of the 4 but got curious and looked for more. Apparently Kailer Yamamoto is also from Spokane.
Puget sound area mostly. Spokane feels far

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Maybe controversial to say it (I don't really see Vancouver as a rival and I like the city) but I can't believe Vancouver are winning games now and effing themselves over. Of all the teams to get Bedard I kind of want them to over teams blatantly tanking like Chicago and Arizona.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
It's what the Canucks and Mariners essentially do- never the right thing. You want them to lose, they win. You want them to win, they lose. Make a trade for a specific player they've been lacking but not at the right time or cost. Trade away someone who becomes a super star elsewhere.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
It's what the Canucks and Mariners essentially do- never the right thing. You want them to lose, they win. You want them to win, they lose. Make a trade for a specific player they've been lacking but not at the right time or cost. Trade away someone who becomes a super star elsewhere.

Or straight up just trade the superstar they DO have. That's a BIG one for the M's.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Or straight up just trade the superstar they DO have. That's a BIG one for the M
Both do that too.. And it's funny that both franchise's desire for Bedard is another similarity. Canucks & Connor this year and the Ms horrific trade for Erik Bedard 15 years ago.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Or straight up just trade the superstar they DO have. That's a BIG one for the M's.
I feel like they've got better about it, at least under Dipoto. It looks like they've finally righted the ship and got the monkey off their back with the play offs and young core. My criticism now is more about being too conservative with free agents and spending big money out with their core. You ain't going to topple Houston without that.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Hellberg has looked great for Detroit so far against Boston. Which sucks given some of our goaltending issues this season. Albeit that's a one game sample

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Really hate their low quality stuff that's not worth buying at all.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I like the way their stuff fits. Never had an issue with their stuff.

I'm talking about their shirts etc.
They're usually incredibly cheap quality wise, a size smaller than the usual once etc.

Though, the first two years they'll basically make the jerseys the same way Adidas/Reebok etc. did, so there shouldn't be a problem at first.

Reactions: JelloPuddyPops

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad