Around the League: News/Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
That Threepeat looking very likely. I don’t see the same quality of play coming from NY or Carolina and I think the Light ing can easily shut down either Alberta team. Colorado is the only team I think stands a chance of beating them barring a breakdown and even that seems unlikely.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The Oilers now lead the Flames 3-1 after beating them 5-3 at home.

To me it's quite strange that a Sutter coached team isn't able to slow down another teams offense, especially in the playoffs where less is called.

BTW: I know McDavid's great and all of that but man Draisaitl.
He just had seven assists in his last two games and is now at 22 points in 11 playoff games.
Absolutley ridiculous numbers both of those put up.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Seems like the Rangers are getting hot at the right time and Shesterkin has been carrying them all season long anyways.

Will be interesting to see if Tampa can fix some of their issues or if their rund ends, for now, in the ECF.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Seems like the Rangers are getting hot at the right time and Shesterkin has been carrying them all season long anyways.

Will be interesting to see if Tampa can fix some of their issues or if their rund ends, for now, in the ECF.

There's some kind of weird, perfect storm going on with that team. They had a couple of years drafting top-5, then added some key vets via trade or FA, then added a very good coach.
Their turn-around went smoothly and quickly compared to...some other teams.:mad:

But the thing that really has the most impact are the shear luck of Shesty being this good (picked in the fourth round, eight years ago) and Fox blossoming into Leech 2.0 after two other teams traded away his rights.

Reactions: The Marquis

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I really dislike the Rangers, but they sure are good right now. I think they’ll be a tough opponent in the final. Frankly, they better hope Edmonton pulls it off because they’ll spank em.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
There's some kind of weird, perfect storm going on with that team. They had a couple of years drafting top-5, then added some key vets via trade or FA, then added a very good coach.
Their turn-around went smoothly and quickly compared to...some other teams.:mad:

But the thing that really has the most impact are the shear luck of Shesty being this good (picked in the fourth round, eight years ago) and Fox blossoming into Leech 2.0 after two other teams traded away his rights.

Yeah, maybe the belarussian kid we drafted in the 6th round last year turns into something.
He was in the MHL All-Star game, I think.

Also, the Rangers were able to capitalize on some of their existing pieces to speed up that rebuilt and that Zibanejad trade is absolutely insane.
They got Zibanejad and a 2nd rounder for Derrick Brassard and a 7th rounder. :amazed:

Taking a look at other teams cap situations… Vegas is really in bad shape. 200k cap space, 6 spots to fill.

Yeah, they need to trade Dadanov and at least another one of those 5-ish million dollar deasl they've got.
Of course unless they find someone they can send on LTIR.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The Bruins just fired Bruce Cassidy.

But I guess this team isn't anywhere near ready to do anything and firing Hakstol after just one year's something Francis wouldn't do....

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Cassidy would be a good coach for the Kraken. Solid structure, defense first, build from the back end out. Bruins have to pay Cassidy for one more year so if Hakstol fails again next year fire him mid season and bring in Cassidy after the tank.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
OK, so now Tampa has won three straight against the Rangers and the games look exactly how Tampa playoff hockey style wise.

I'm not completely putting it past the Rangeres to force a game seven but I would be surprised and I think we'll see a Tampa vs Colorado matchup in the final.

Should be interesting as it would feature different styles of hockey and would force the Avs to play way better defensively than they have all playoffs long.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
OK, so now Tampa has won three straight against the Rangers and the games look exactly how Tampa playoff hockey style wise.

I'm not completely putting it past the Rangeres to force a game seven but I would be surprised and I think we'll see a Tampa vs Colorado matchup in the final.

Should be interesting as it would feature different styles of hockey and would force the Avs to play way better defensively than they have all playoffs long.

That's exactly what I was thinking after last night. It's Tampa's to lose now that they got one in MSG. Palat though.... how many game winners is that? It feels like the dude has had the game winner or the goal that put it away in every single game of the last 2 rounds (It's actually almost true, seriously I looked it up). Absolutely insane stuff. I hope the dude gets recognized for his fantastic playoffs.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
That's exactly what I was thinking after last night. It's Tampa's to lose now that they got one in MSG. Palat though.... how many game winners is that? It feels like the dude has had the game winner or the goal that put it away in every single game of the last 2 rounds (It's actually almost true, seriously I looked it up). Absolutely insane stuff. I hope the dude gets recognized for his fantastic playoffs.

He could be a signing by Francis given that he'll be an UFA.
Though, he's already 31 and would probably want at least four years in order to sign here.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I'm not a big fan of the Avs goaltending and until someone knocks them off, it's still Tampa.
Especially with the news that Braden Point might play starting game 1 of the series.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Sure.
But getting rid off that contract without paying any assetts(besides $ by the owner to Weber) shows you that there are ways to maneuver your way out of cap trouble in this league.

For sure. It's disappointing that it was straight up, because I feel like Montreal could have at least gotten a draft pick. I'm sure other teams held Vegas hostage for the situation they got themselves in, yet Montreal is like "yo, I can help, bud". McCrimmon isn't a guy I like to see other teams help.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Looking around the league, I think Philly will be interesting after hiring Torts.

It basically means that any kind of rebuilt won't happen there and that they're expecting to compete for the playoffs within the next two seasons.

As a Flyers fan I'd be sh**ting my pants at the thought of Chuck Fletcher making "aggressive moves" and what not.
I'd expect them to move JVR, to create room under the cap, and I'm interested to see how much Fletcher's willing to add to get rid of that contract.

But hey, maybe that's the scorer Francis brings in while adding something extra on top of it...:dunno:

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Looking around the league, I think Philly will be interesting after hiring Torts.

It basically means that any kind of rebuilt won't happen there and that they're expecting to compete for the playoffs within the next two seasons.

As a Flyers fan I'd be sh**ting my pants at the thought of Chuck Fletcher making "aggressive moves" and what not.
I'd expect them to move JVR, to create room under the cap, and I'm interested to see how much Fletcher's willing to add to get rid of that contract.

But hey, maybe that's the scorer Francis brings in while adding something extra on top of it...:dunno:

As somebody who wanted JVR to be the Kraken expansion pick, I’d really hate that. In retrospect, that’s probably the pick I’d made that I’d most likely redo. He didn’t earn half of his 7M cap hit. Sure, it’s only for one year, but damn, for 7M, he’d have to come with hookers and blow for everybody (and I mean everybody), and a high pick and a prospect in exchange for something we want to get rid of (the entire PNW homeless population). Arizona or Buffalo would take him though, to hit the cap floor for a can of beans.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
As somebody who wanted JVR to be the Kraken expansion pick, I’d really hate that. In retrospect, that’s probably the pick I’d made that I’d most likely redo. He didn’t earn half of his 7M cap hit. Sure, it’s only for one year, but damn, for 7M, he’d have to come with hookers and blow for everybody (and I mean everybody), and a high pick and a prospect in exchange for something we want to get rid of (the entire PNW homeless population). Arizona or Buffalo would take him though, to hit the cap floor for a can of beans.
Buffalo literally does not have a spot in their top 9 for jvr without moving or benching one of the kids that should be getting development time.

They also should be ok to reach the floor now that they added Bishop. (They still have their RFAs to sign and need 2 goalies).

Phoenix, however, could be a destination. Anaheim is also my dark horse to find themselves below the cap this season and needing to add a big contract.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Not sure where else to post this, but I had a dream last night that the Kraken hired Barry Trotz as their head coach. That is all. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad