Around the League: Capitals and Ovie are Stanley Cup Champions

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
meh. lou is still around. we will be okay

even without lou here, there is no basis to worry they aren't up to the job. Shanny, Dubas and hunter have done nothing to warrant people worrying about being taken advantage of

edit: for example trading back at the 2015 draft for dermott, do people believe that was all lous idea? very likely dubas was in up to his ears on that one

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
even without lou here, there is no basis to worry they aren't up to the job. Shanny, Dubas and hunter have done nothing to warrant people worrying about being taken advantage of

edit: for example trading back at the 2015 draft for dermott, do people believe that was all lous idea? very likely dubas was in up to his ears on that one

Lou wasn't even hired then.
Lou started July 23rd.

Reactions: Critical

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Lou wasn't even hired then.
Lou started July 23rd.

ha well there you go!. Why worry about a GM before he has become GM? if he isn't fit for the job the leafs aren't going to keep him they will move on. I believe Dubas will do a good job but if he is terrible for a season with trades ETC then we fire him and we are set back one season (unless he trades Matthews or Andersen way under value then its a lot more than one season)

edit: not directed at you here daisy, I don't know how you feel about potentially dubas as GM. Just toward posters who have shown a clear dislike of the idea he could be a GM

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I guess not many hockey fans?
I still watch the games and cheer for teams.
Oh I still watch, it's hockey after all.
I'm not really invested in any team remaining so it doesn't matter who wins.
I guess somebody different would be my answer if it came down to it.
With the league shifting to lets have parody, it's nice to see someone new. Not just the LA, Chicago, Pittsburgh, repeat. At this time it's hard not to like Vegas. Certainly a shot in the arm to big, long term salaries and models for building a franchise. 12 forwards who can all score a little and hound the puck, backed up by 6 D who do the same and good goaltending. Is team > individual?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Oh I still watch, it's hockey after all.
I'm not really invested in any team remaining so it doesn't matter who wins.
I guess somebody different would be my answer if it came down to it.
With the league shifting to lets have parody, it's nice to see someone new. Not just the LA, Chicago, Pittsburgh, repeat. At this time it's hard not to like Vegas. Certainly a shot in the arm to big, long term salaries and models for building a franchise. 12 forwards who can all score a little and hound the puck, backed up by 6 D who do the same and good goaltending. Is team > individual?

If Vegas wins, I think it points out how poor most of the management teams are.

How can Vegas be one of the most talented teams in the league by getting a bunch of 3rd. line forwards and 3rd. pairing defenders?

Makes me wonder if Leafs should be scouting the minor leagues and Europe to see if there is a similarly underappreciated crop of players just waiting for an opportunity and a legitimate coach who can take them to the next level.

I have to think many hockey people are somewhat concerned about their failures. Ironically, Burke may be correct ... he just isn't the one who can do it.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

How can Vegas be one of the most talented teams in the league by getting a bunch of 3rd. line forwards and 3rd. pairing defenders?

Makes me wonder if Leafs should be scouting the minor leagues and Europe to see if there is a similarly underappreciated crop of players just waiting for an opportunity and a legitimate coach who can take them to the next level.

I have to think many hockey people are somewhat concerned about their failures. Ironically, Burke may be correct ... he just isn't the one who can do it.
Perhaps the Leafs (or the fans) should be less concerned with Doughty or Tavares and find functional 3rd line forwards and 2nd pair D to fill in around Matthews and company.
Add them to solid, hard working forwards who never stop skating, working in all 3 zones and get their noses dirty. 1 or 2 foremen and a company of all purpose construction workers rather than this guy is inconsistent, this one can only play a sheltered role, this one is only for the PP, etc.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Lou may end up on the Island in an a last ditch attempt to resign Tavares.

Tavares was just waiting for lou to leave the leafs before he decided siging here was for him.
-Likes to have a bit of a beard
-wears 91
UFA C signing with the leafs confirmed

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Tavares was just waiting for lou to leave the leafs before he decided siging here was for him.
-Likes to have a bit of a beard
-wears 91
UFA C signing with the leafs confirmed

Even if the money would fit, which I don’t think it can, the Leafs don’t really need Tavares. Furthermore, I question if he’s fast enough now let alone 2 or 3 years into his contract.

If they are signing any FA forwards they need a guys that can skate and are willing to finish their checks.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Even if the money would fit, which I don’t think it can, the Leafs don’t really need Tavares. Furthermore, I question if he’s fast enough now let alone 2 or 3 years into his contract.

If they are signing any FA forwards they need a guys that can skate and are willing to finish their checks.

i was being sarcastic. Although id take him in a heart beat, i do think he wont fit money wise

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Perhaps the Leafs (or the fans) should be less concerned with Doughty or Tavares and find functional 3rd line forwards and 2nd pair D to fill in around Matthews and company.
Add them to solid, hard working forwards who never stop skating, working in all 3 zones and get their noses dirty. 1 or 2 foremen and a company of all purpose construction workers rather than this guy is inconsistent, this one can only play a sheltered role, this one is only for the PP, etc.
Lol. Add Doughty onto this roster and we're the favourites for the Cup.

Our only weakness is lacking a #1RD right now, it pushes Hainsey to the 2nd pair, Zaitsev to the 3rd, Rielly gets a dominant partner, and Gardiner gets to play with a lesser abused like a workhorse Hainsey who's he's looked great beside.

And obviously our forwards are going to be more committed to the 2 way game that's needed for a successful team with Kapanen & Johnsson, 2 great 2 way players, replacing JVR & Bozak, our worst defensive players.

Excited to see those 2's impact on how much of a well-oiled 2-way team we can be.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I’ve long held the belief that most NHL GMs are pretty lousy at their jobs, at least when it comes to evaluating talent. I mean what Florida in particular was beyond absurd.

We need the next Leafs Gm to be the best in the league at finding players that can make this type of unexpected positive impact.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I’ve long held the belief that most NHL GMs are pretty lousy at their jobs, at least when it comes to evaluating talent. I mean what Florida in particular was beyond absurd.

We need the next Leafs Gm to be the best in the league at finding players that can make this type of unexpected positive impact.

I think Yzerman has done a pretty good job in Tampa.

Sure he lucked out like the Leafs in having Stamkos (Matthews), but look at the supporting cast. Funny, Kucherov is quite possibly their best player and he was selected as supporting cast.

Looking at some of his top picks still brewing, looks like they come with size and skill ...

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Sure he lucked out like the Leafs in having Stamkos (Matthews), but look at the supporting cast. Funny, Kucherov is quite possibly their best player and he was selected as supporting cast.

Looking at some of his top picks still brewing, looks like they come with size and skill ...
Tampa has been a good model at the NHL level and AHL in terms of organizational depth.
They had Stamkos/Hedman/St. Louis on the big team with an AHL team that featured a line of Palat/Johsnon/Kucherov. Upon promotion to the NHL, the next wave of Point/Drouin/Vas/Dotchin rolled in. Volkov is solid. Add Cal Foote coming soon. AHL champions. That's keeping the pipeline stocked.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Al Murray - Director of Amateur Scouting is doing and outstanding job for TB and it shows in the parent team.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
it is good
i'd love to hear your thoughts about it msg me when you get a chance about it.
Loved Infinity War.
There are very few movies when you walk out of the theatre at the end that you want to turn around and walk back in and see it again. That movie is like this eras Empire Strikes Back.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

i really disagree, there is a short list of players in the league that "make everyone on the ice better" when they are on and those 2 guys fit that bill.

these foremen types won't survive, look at the hate for hyman,polak,koma in these parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad