Around the League: Capitals and Ovie are Stanley Cup Champions

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Vegas winning would be such a slap in the face to fans and teams that are long in the tooth without a championship, or have never won at all.

I’d especially feel bad as an expansion team that didn’t get anywhere near the same advantages when they entered the league.

People need to remember that Vegas winning wouldn't just make the Leafs look bad but make tons of other teams who haven't won a cup/haven't won in a very long time look bad too. People underestimated Vegas' ability to choose the right players and they're all relatively around peak hockey age or just under.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
People need to remember that Vegas winning wouldn't just make the Leafs look bad but make tons of other teams who haven't won a cup/haven't won in a very long time look bad too. People underestimated Vegas' ability to choose the right players and they're all relatively around peak hockey age or just under.
They did a great job with the roster, which is interesting considering the heat they took.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
They did a great job with the roster, which is interesting considering the heat they took.
I still keep thinking their offense has to fall down to earth sometime but maybe having a good defense helps out their offense greatly. Very interested to see how they manage past this year.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I still keep thinking their offense has to fall down to earth sometime but maybe having a good defense helps out their offense greatly. Very interested to see how they manage past this year.
I think they're helped by the division. Don't get me wrong, they're solid, but I think there are 4-5 teams in the East that are better and then Nash and Wpg in the west.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Well coached, and skate extremely well.

Be interesting to see how their draft picks turn out.

Just amazing result.

So in their evaluations, what did they value highest? Character (intangibles, intelligence, teachable, ...), skill, physical characteristics, age, ...

Certainly, curious about next year.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Just amazing result.

So in their evaluations, what did they value highest? Character (intangibles, intelligence, teachable, ...), skill, physical characteristics, age, ...

Not many superstars but they qualify for what the new NHL is and they are consistent. That in itself is a huge point.
The Leafs have many players people like on an individual basis. Can't get rid of JVR, have to re-sign Gardiner, you can't trade this guy, etc. etc.
But they are very inconsistent. Doesn't mean they aren't good. But when you start stacking multiple inconsistent players together, you break down far to often. Certain players on this team need to be changed out. And not just the Komarov, Moore kind of change out. A shift in vision. Better at providing consistent support. Better at functioning as a flawless (mostly) 5 man unit to surround the core pieces.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Just amazing result.

I think they were all a huge factor. They definitely did their research.

All their core guys are in their prime or just before. Marchessault (27), Smith (27), Karlsson (25), Tuch (21), Neal (30), Perron (29), Haula (27) for their offense. Schmidt (26), Theodore(22), Miller(25), McNabb(27), Engelland(36).

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think they were all a huge factor. They definitely did their research.

All their core guys are in their prime or just before. Marchessault (27), Smith (27), Karlsson (25), Tuch (21), Neal (30), Perron (29), Haula (27) for their offense. Schmidt (26), Theodore(22), Miller(25), McNabb(27), Engelland(36).

All this is saying to me is:

Leafs have to be ruthless in their evaluations and players, regardless of tenure or individual results, who do not fit into the team first me last category should be moved.

I think Leafs have some talented players who might not tow the line, who hurt the team and we should accept they are not part of a winning future.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
All this is saying to me is:

Leafs have to be ruthless in their evaluations and players, regardless of tenure or individual results, who do not fit into the team first me last category should be moved.

I think Leafs have some talented players who might not tow the line, who hurt the team and we should accept they are not part of a winning future.
Also give deserving players the chance to succeed rather than using veterans more just because theyve been around longer.

Haula was buried on the 3rd line in Minny but still had a good pts/60. Finally gets top 6 minutes and he puts up over 50 points and nearly 30 goals.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Also give deserving players the chance to succeed rather than using veterans more just because theyve been around longer.

Haula was buried on the 3rd line in Minny but still had a good pts/60. Finally gets top 6 minutes and he puts up over 50 points and nearly 30 goals.

We're starting to get into the area of evaluating the player acquisition abilities of the current management group.

If they don't move the needle in 2 years ... rinse and rethink.

Letting the UFA's walk isn't necessarily a bad thing, and perhaps what the Marlies are doing could launch them into the favorable opportunity category.

Those over 25, who have been given every opportunity have no one to blame but themselves if they are moved for better fits.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Brind'Amour as Coach
Don Waddell as GM for Canes.

I have no idea who Waddell is.
(can we exploit him?)

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Brind'Amour as Coach
Don Waddell as GM for Canes.

I have no idea who Waddell is.
(can we exploit him?)

Per Wikipedia, he was an AGM with the Red Wings when they won their cup in '98 and has has been a scout with the Pens since 2012. He's mostly known for being the Thrashers' first GM, and was there from the team's inception until 2010.

And we know the Thrashers were, um, not good in that time ... So I think he could be exploited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad