Around the League: Capitals and Ovie are Stanley Cup Champions

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think we could've taken Tampa to at least 6 or 7.

It's just too bad the Leafs unraveled the way they did, especially in Games 1 and 2 (when we couldn't buy a bounce).

I think had we played Tampa, it would have been at least a six-er
I don't see it being a sweep but realistically I don't think we win unless Andy stood on his head or someone on the leafs went legend. (i mean you know me - i'm always gonna say the Leafs will win unless it's obvious that it's not so) -

the thing that bugs me is that it was just a missed opportunity to get more experience. same as last year. like i really wanted the leafs to force a game seven, just get it out of the way. I feel had they had it last season, we don't lose game seven this season and we get 2nd round jitterbugs out of the way (as i think all series are a different learning ground) no matter, they will get it next year :)

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Does TB thank the Leafs for taking Boston to 7 games while they cruised to a 4-1 series win over NJ and got alot of rest? And f*** Backes, lol...

The big difference between the Leafs and TB is the defense. We got some work to do with our defense for sure.

TB won puck battles, we didn't win many. TB also shut down the Bergeron line. We couldn't. Vasi also did not give up many soft goals. We did.

Hated Backes after game 1 vs Leafs but would have preferred to see Stamkos eliminated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Leafs don't have a line as good as Point/Johnson/Palat. Just relentless, skilled players, full of energy.

No, we need to stick a Hyman or a Komarov on every line and then wonder why every team's star is scoring 90 points while our stars are struggling to 70 points or PPG in Matthews' case.

.... but they aren't?
like this constant Hyman bashing is redonk stupid. he's not the reason why Matthews struggled or Nylander. creating a super line doesn't automatically mean that's gonna be the end all be all either.

Reactions: kindalaidback

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Leafs don't have a line as good as Point/Johnson/Palat. Just relentless, skilled players, full of energy.

No, we need to stick a Hyman or a Komarov on every line and then wonder why every team's star is scoring 90 points while our stars are struggling to 70 points or PPG in Matthews' case.

Their bottom 6 competes and battles better than our bottom 6. Our top 6 is close to theirs.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
.... but they aren't?
like this constant Hyman bashing is redonk stupid. he's not the reason why Matthews struggled or Nylander. creating a super line doesn't automatically mean that's gonna be the end all be all either.

I'm not asking for a super line. How about a line of skilled players? Not sticking one guy in there just because he can forecheck.

You don't see Jon Cooper sticking Killorn in his top 6. Saying Hyman isn't a top line player isn't bashing him. He isn't. Neither is Komarov. And at this point, neither is Marleau.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
TB won puck battles, we didn't win many. TB also shut down the Bergeron line. We couldn't. Vasi also did not give up many soft goals. We did.

Hated Backes after game 1 vs Leafs but would have preferred to see Stamkos eliminated.

how come?

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Their bottom 6 competes and battles better than our bottom 6. Our top 6 is close to theirs.

I'd say the leafs bottom 6 is capable of being more productive than Tampa's, but Tampa's is much tougher.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Do you know why Tampa is way better than us? Because they played their game. They didn't care about the hittings and holdings and the physical plays, they just did what they do best: skate fast and played a skilled game.

That's exactly what we should have done, and it's Leafs in 6 easily.

Did we watch the same series? Tampa made a point to show they weren't going to get bullied by big bad Bruins, and they took the body to Bruins since game 2. In fact, I've never seen Bruins that badly punished.

Another difference is Tampa core aren't afraid to go to dirty areas, in front of the net, go in the corner to win the puck battle.

Basically Leafs were pure perimeter team, while Tampa not only can match the skill/speed, but their guys can battle in the dirty areas and they got other players that pounded Bruins at every chance, especially Bruins D in fore-check.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I'm not asking for a super line. How about a line of skilled players? Not sticking one guy in there just because he can forecheck.

You don't see Jon Cooper sticking Killorn in his top 6. Saying Hyman isn't a top line player isn't bashing him. He isn't. Neither is Komarov. And at this point, neither is Marleau.

but having hyman there isn't hurting Matthews/Nylander's production which is basically what you stated. like, ideally i would move Hyman down, but he's not the issue why Nylander struggled this year. Nylander is the reason Nylander struggled this year.

Reactions: ToneDog

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Did we watch the same series? Tampa made a point to show they weren't going to get bullied by big bad Bruins, and they took the body to Bruins since game 2. In fact, I've never seen Bruins that badly punished.

Another difference is Tampa core aren't afraid to go to dirty areas, in front of the net, go in the corner to win the puck battle.

Basically Leafs were pure perimeter team, while Tampa not only can match the skill/speed, but their guys can battle in the dirty areas and they got other players that pounded Bruins at every chance, especially Bruins D in fore-check.

Neither did we. We actually out hit them if I am not mistaken. Only difference was their best player was their best player. Our best player beside Marner was Marleau in one game

JVR, Kadri, Matthews and Nylander were missing. You just can't win with these guys missing.

Not to mention Tempa has much better D than Toronto. They don't have a Gardiner giving away glorious chances every other play in their games

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'd say the leafs bottom 6 is capable of being more productive than Tampa's, but Tampa's is much tougher.

They are more suited for playoff hockey. This is why playoff experience is so valuable.

TB has been able to find diamonds in the rough. Point, Cirelli, Johnson and Gourde. Too bad we did not see what we had in Stralman.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
its kinda funny the hate that has brewed between leaf and bruins fans over the years. 10 + years ago they were the laughing stock of professional sports. with the redsox curse and the early 70s cling to fame. hell look at how fast the perception of Chicago changed once they won . it wasn't that long ago since its just most fan bases only remember the last couple years not the history of the team. the only reason we are getting flack now is our drought is the longest n the nhl . it gets irritating but all sports cities have to go through it.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Neither did we. We actually out hit them if I am not mistaken. Only difference was their best player was their best player. Our best player beside Marner was Marleau in one game

JVR, Kadri, Matthews and Nylander were missing. You just can't win with these guys missing.

Not to mention Tempa has much better D than Toronto. They don't have a Gardiner giving away glorious chances every other play in their games

Part of it is because everyone battled and went to the dirty areas, including Point.

Everyone on that team bought in and back checked as well (Tampa).

Tampa made Leafs D/system look like pond hockey, with the amount of stretch passes and icing Leafs had during regular season AND playoffs.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
Sweet justice. The only way this gets better is if chara announces his retirement. I think he's signed for 1 more year but I want that POS gone.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

'

yup. jake and mo don't like getting hit in the corners. neither does will.
I think matthews would but i guess with his back/shoulder that prevented him to.

i wouldn't call the Leafs soft or whatever. they did hit them (heck in some games the outhit them) but I think when it comes to taking the hit to make the play they are apprehensive in doing so (sometimes, because there are times they'll totally do it).

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
They are more suited for playoff hockey. This is why playoff experience is so valuable.

TB has been able to find diamonds in the rough. Point, Cirelli, Johnson and Gourde. Too bad we did not see what we had in Stralman.

meh. the way i see it we were so bad when he hit ufa he would have split probably.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
but having hyman there isn't hurting Matthews/Nylander's production which is basically what you stated. like, ideally i would move Hyman down, but he's not the issue why Nylander struggled this year. Nylander is the reason Nylander struggled this year.

It absolutely is hurting their production. He slows the game down by keeping the puck in the corners for about 40% of every shift, he averages about 1.5 shots a game which is low considering how many chances they set him up with, and there are a handful of times every game where the duo play keep away for 3o seconds and then the puck gets to Hyman and the play dies.

He is the Alex Killorn of this team and for some reason he's on the 1st line instead of the 3rd.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
In my bracket I had the Leafs over the Bruins in 7, but I didn't think they could get past Tampa. Really wanted that series win against the Bruins.

Oh well, love to see them go out and in only 5 games .. Can't stand that team and that rat Marchand.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

Nylander didn't struggle this year, he struggled in the playoffs. He had a pretty solid year. He had the exact same point from last year in both playoffs and regular season

Having Hyman isn't hurting Matthews but it isn't helping him either. Do you think Hyman plays with McDavid, Crosby, or Malkin? not a chance
Even Kunitz scored 20+ goals before he started to play with Crosby. So he was a 20 goal scorer already

Brown is a good 3rd liner. But he doesn't play top 6 in any of the teams in the playoffs right now. None

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
'

yup. jake and mo don't like getting hit in the corners. neither does will.
I think matthews would but i guess with his back/shoulder that prevented him to.

i wouldn't call the Leafs soft or whatever. they did hit them (heck in some games the outhit them) but I think when it comes to taking the hit to make the play they are apprehensive in doing so (sometimes, because there are times they'll totally do it).

That's right Daisy. Toughness isn't just about brute force and who hits who, while Tampa did that, Leafs also had their share of hits.

But as you point out, it's about not being afraid to get hit to make the plays, it's also about the 50/50 battles. These are the things their best players were willing to do, and HAD to do to win.

It's not like we want our best players to go out there and hit everything, no, we need them to score. But it's those types of toughness/battles they lacked in which it clearly showed.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
you wanted stamkos eliminated?

He played us in order to get Yzerman to up the ante and had no intention of leaving TB. My understanding was Leafs offered more $$$. Would rather see long suffering Caps knock them off if they can get by the Pens.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
That's right Daisy. Toughness isn't just about brute force and who hits who, while Tampa did that, Leafs also had their share of hits.

But as you point out, it's about not being afraid to get hit to make the plays, it's also about the 50/50 battles. These are the things their best players were willing to do, and HAD to do to win.

It's not like we want our best players to go out there and hit everything, no, we need them to score. But it's those types of toughness/battles they lacked in which it clearly showed.

i have to believe that is a "young" thing, not a "won't do it." thing, because imo one can be corrected, and one needs to be addressed.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
i have to believe that is a "young" thing, not a "won't do it." thing, because imo one can be corrected, and one needs to be addressed.

I think it can be corrected, as long as Leafs and the players acknowledge it, rather then ignore it because you don't want to piss off any of the players. If they buy in and acknowledge, it can definitely improve with maturity and experience.

Leafs best players will need to play/battle/ in the dirty areas to win.

I mean Tampa core is older obviously, I'm sure some of them had to learn and adapt as well over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad