Around The League 40: As we barrel towards 40 teams

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
They're not "moving", they're building a new arena. Still inside the beltway, you can't even call it suburban, it's just another part of the metro core. But that'll be a blow to downtown for sure.
Is the feeling that this new arena will be better for their fan base or just an economic one (owner makes $$$ on development plus luxury boxes, etc).

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Is the feeling that this new arena will be better for their fan base or just an economic one (owner makes $$$ on development plus luxury boxes, etc).
Some from column A, some from column B. The current arena is old and the concourses are cramped (largely due to the physical limits of the current location), limiting food and drink options and just making moving around unpleasant. Luxury box quantity and quality is more or less up to snuff. It would need significant investment in the next few years just due to wear and there was a lot of discussion about whether it would make sense to do that or if they would need a new one- and you really can't build a new arena in the current location without finding a multi-year interim.

The Potomac Yards area is a northern part of Alexandria that was mostly a giant strip mall and some low income areas bypassed by the metro, but it's been increasingly developed and they recently added an infill stop on the metro and the expectation has been that that strip mall would be going bye-bye. I suspect it'll be a bit of an arena district thing, which is what the old arena created in downtown DC back when downtown DC was still a burnt out wreck. Just fill the whole area with apartment buildings with ground floor retail and an arena, all at once. I'm sure they'll be getting significant tax incentives from Younkin, who has been trying desperately to bring some of the DC sports teams to the VA side of the region. He's trying to poach the Commanders as well. And it'll be interesting to see if Leonsis is wetting his beak in the overall redevelopment of the strip mall- he's gonna be printing money if he's managed to get the whole project.

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
ESPN audio for this marquee matchup (Connor v. Connor) is about 1.5 seconds ahead of the play. So you’re hearing Buccigross say what happens before it happens on screen. It sucks. We’re past the first commercial break and it’s still not fixed, so maybe we’re stuck that way.
Glad to hear that wasn't just me. I checked online a couple of places and was surprised not to see a ton of complaints. I hate that crap.

Reactions: DaveG

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
With help from McDavid, NHL debuts new winner-take-all All-Star Skills in 2024

Well, based on the format here if we assume Aho will be our All-Star I don't think he'll get to take part in the skills challenge.

12 skaters selected "The first eight contestants will be elite players selected from the larger pool of 44 all-stars announced on Jan. 4, by the league in conjunction with its broadcast partners and the Players' Association. Big names and big personalities will be targeted, as all players will be mic'd up throughout the competition. The NHL wants guys to compete hard."

and 4 via fan vote.

Reactions: geehaad

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
With help from McDavid, NHL debuts new winner-take-all All-Star Skills in 2024

Well, based on the format here if we assume Aho will be our All-Star I don't think he'll get to take part in the skills challenge.

12 skaters selected "The first eight contestants will be elite players selected from the larger pool of 44 all-stars announced on Jan. 4, by the league in conjunction with its broadcast partners and the Players' Association. Big names and big personalities will be targeted, as all players will be mic'd up throughout the competition. The NHL wants guys to compete hard."

and 4 via fan vote.
So rather than getting to see everyone compete somewhere in the Skills Comp, you'll only get to see big names from big markets and f*** everyone else...you'll get to see them play 5 min in the All-Star game. They've somehow made the All-Star game and such even LESS interesting and intriguing, I didn't know they could even do that. Even when our guys only get slotted into 1 event, it's fun to see them there, now there won't be a point because chances are you can already name 10-12 players that they'll choose the top 8 from and it definitely won't be the Canes. Hell, last year it should have been Nachos in it, and when they didn't pick him, the fan vote did...and they decided the fans were wrong anyway and picked someone else.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Washington Capitals moving out of DC is, ironic.

The Washington Capitals will neither be in Washington nor in the Capital.

1702492663445.png

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
As I understand, just a little over 400 million funding will come from Monumental Sports & Entertainment, and the rest of the 2 billion from the state of Virginia. The DC city council had a last ditch offer last night of 500 million, probably just to save face.

The Caps moving out of Metro Center/Chinatown will completely destroy what's left of that area. Pretty much all of the business in that area was supported by office workers who never came back after COVID, and the Capital One Area. Right now it's basically a open-air drug market, riddled with theft and vandalism similar to pockets in San Francisco. Outside of Caps games, I wouldn't recommend anyone walk around there.

With how incompetent DC Council is, it won't be too long before DC is a suburb of NoVa. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
The Washington Capitals will neither be in Washington nor in the Capital.

View attachment 782787
They played in Landover MD (where the Commies are now) for decades. This is not a new thing for sports teams, DC ones in particular. DC is geographically tiny due to the artificial legal constraints on its boundaries, this is like saying that Harvard isn't in Boston. Technically true, but stupidly misleading.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It's interesting. I live in NOVA and go to a fair number of Caps games to either see the Canes or because my wife is a Caps fan. I don't really care whether it's DC or Alexandria. But having the move into Virginia actually might be a little less convenient based on Metro lines and locations or the drive to get there from where I am. We go to few enough games that we can plan around that though. I'm intrigued if they can make a really nice entertainment/shopping/etc. area around there though.

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad