Around The League 40: As we barrel towards 40 teams

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
The thing that sold me that it wasn't just a theory but the actual truth, that wasn't even in that initial analysis but in a follow on analysis by someone else, is the scene in which Jar Jar mouths the words of a character he's manipulating, and it's so subtle that no one ever really saw it, for *years*. But once you see it you can't unsee it, and it changes literally everything.

George Lucas had one of the greatest heel turns in cinematic history all lined up, and he pussed out. Full stop.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
George Lucas had one of the greatest heel turns in cinematic history all lined up, and he pussed out. Full stop.
Wasn't the original mission statement for Star Wars to make a different kind of film for kids who at the time were playing (and I quote) "murderer cops"? Return to something more innocent so. Binks being Keyzer Soze the whole time kind of undermines that.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Wasn't the original mission statement for Star Wars to make a different kind of film for kids who at the time were playing (and I quote) "murderer cops"? Return to something more innocent so. Binks being Keyzer Soze the whole time kind of undermines that.
Then Darth Vader cutting off his own kid's hand undermines that too, right? You can't have good without evil.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think from the other angle it looked less intentional like he was trying to jerk free and whacked him in the head. I think you could still argue for a small suspension because it's reckless regardless. If it hits the guy's face instead it could have been much less pleasant.

Lempo

Feb 23, 2014
Then Darth Vader cutting off his own kid's hand undermines that too, right? You can't have good without evil.

Obviously you need evil. You need the Evil Queen for there to be a story at all. But for kids' entertainment, you necessarily don't want the most jolly of the seven dwarfs to go "Heil Hydra!" on Snow White. Betrayal is a special kind of beast.

Some kid may have slept every night for five years with his Jar Jar plushy, and then you're gonna reveal that he's been the evil sith lord all that time.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Our old friend Ghost bear is doing quite well this season.

Thinking aloud if we signed him for 3.5-4m for 1 or 2 seasons and paired him with Chatfield as a stop gap we might be in a better situation.

*Skip the 7.5m to Orlov and don't mess up cap comparables for Skjei and Pesce
*don't need to sign TDA b/c Ghost was better defensively while capable of running a pp
*have more clarity on the defensive pairs
*have more $$ to sign an impact forward 7.5m + 1.6m - 3.5-4m would've been enough for a Bertuzzi or Tarasenko type or we skip Bunting and all that together and have cap for a big upgrade.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Obviously you need evil. You need the Evil Queen for there to be a story at all. But for kids' entertainment, you necessarily don't want the most jolly of the seven dwarfs to go "Heil Hydra!" on Snow White. Betrayal is a special kind of beast.

Some kid may have slept every night for five years with his Jar Jar plushy, and then you're gonna reveal that he's been the evil sith lord all that time.

The prequels were not supposed to be the fairy tale; they were the dark back story. Anakin murdered a bunch of kids! The whole plot line is nothing but betrayal.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Thinking aloud if we signed him for 3.5-4m for 1 or 2 seasons and paired him with Chatfield as a stop gap we might be in a better situation.

*don't need to sign TDA b/c Ghost was better defensively while capable of running a pp
*have more $$ to sign an impact forward 7.5m + 1.6m - 3.5-4m would've been enough for a Bertuzzi or Tarasenko type or we skip Bunting and all that together and have cap for a big upgrade.
Or ghost is still bad at defense and is collecting points off of higher than normal shooting percentages and out performing expected goals scored.

Despite Orlov being saddled with crappy TDA, he still has better defensive metrics than Ghost

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

They had some cute kid in the first of the prequals grow up, seduce the hottie, and kill almost everybody in the last of the movies. Your dwarf comparison is pretty spot on, except for the lack of sex in your example.

Lempo

Feb 23, 2014
The prequels were not supposed to be the fairy tale; they were the dark back story. Anakin murdered a bunch of kids! The whole plot line is nothing but betrayal.
They had some cute kid in the first of the prequals grow up, seduce the hottie, and kill almost everybody in the last of the movies. Your dwarf comparison is pretty spot on, except for the lack of sex in your example.

It was a Greek tragedy setup for the prequel trilogy, we knew that one was coming and the story was in how he became the Vader. Our affections weren't played with.

Reactions: DaveG

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
It was a Greek tragedy setup for the prequel trilogy, we knew that one was coming and the story was in how he became the Vader. Our affections weren't played with.
Did you like Jar Jar? Did anyone like Jar Jar? Whose affections would have been played with?

What if you were never supposed to like Jar Jar? He wasn't endearing. He wasn't cute. He was tremendously irritating. That's why everyone hated him. Perhaps that was the point all along.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I actually liked the prequels. They had their faults of course, including jar jar and Hayden's acting, but they stayed true to the Star Wars universe that Lucas created and that we all love. Also had some incredible characters/acting, scenes and moments and an overall solid plot structure and flow.

The sequel trilogy was so incredibly bad and forgettable. I watched all 3 in theatres and right now can't think off the top of my head any single memorable/good scenes. A lot of forced awkward comedy, poor acting, and maybe the absolute worst plots I can ever recall in a series of movies (nice job disney scrapping Lucas' outline and hiring multiple terrible directors/writers). The force awakens was the best of the 3 and even that was largely a rip off of the original Star Wars. Was cool to see some of the original characters back on the big screen but that was the extent of the positives.

Of course the originals are the best but the prequels fit within the universe. The sequels were like the "American Pie Presents" movies -- licensed the star wars name and some of the IP within the universe but just blatantly not the real thing.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Or ghost is still bad at defense and is collecting points off of higher than normal shooting percentages and out performing expected goals scored.

Despite Orlov being saddled with crappy TDA, he still has better defensive metrics than Ghost
I agree with the retrospective glasses on, but going into the offseason it seemed unreasonable to overpay a third pair guy early to stay when we had the open market in front of us. Orlov called us and that changed everything though he didn’t fit the setup the day we signed him. We also may have thought we were moving a second pair guy at the time.

While we would’ve saved money on ghost I think Orlov is much stronger and physical in a way we needed much more than Ghost and his offense. Orlov also just has the feel of a big game player. Ghost struggled after his initial burst to put offense up but it wasn’t for the lack of trying. I also did think he looked really good at times in the playoffs so that’s an unfair statement for me to say Orlov looks more like a big game guy.

Orlov would always have the greater ability to play higher in the lineup in the end. I like both of them for their less cautious styles and unpredictability.

Last edited:

The Jerk Store

Felix Unger Score'em
Jul 2, 2012
Hills to the North
Did you like Jar Jar? Did anyone like Jar Jar? Whose affections would have been played with?

What if you were never supposed to like Jar Jar? He wasn't endearing. He wasn't cute. He was tremendously irritating. That's why everyone hated him. Perhaps that was the point all along.
There was an interview with George Lucas just before Episode One was released where he described a new character that "everyone was going to fall in love with." Clearly Lucas doesn't understand his fan base or was high on his own supply.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
There was an interview with George Lucas just before Episode One was released where he described a new character that "everyone was going to fall in love with." Clearly Lucas doesn't understand his fan base or was high on his own supply.
He said he made the second group of films for his grandkids, he probably showed them early pictures of JJ when they were tiny and they loved him….therefore everyone in the world was going to love him in his eyes.

I’m sure later on by the time his grandkids heard JJ speak for the first time they quickly were over him.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I feel like if you were to describe a breakdown of the basic plot of the prequels, it sounds like they would make decent movies. They didn’t turn out that way but you can kinda see the kernels in there. I don’t think that’s really true of the sequels, especially since the third one went on such a wild left turn it almost invalidated most of the events of the previous two

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I feel like if you were to describe a breakdown of the basic plot of the prequels, it sounds like they would make decent movies. They didn’t turn out that way but you can kinda see the kernels in there. I don’t think that’s really true of the sequels, especially since the third one went on such a wild left turn it almost invalidated most of the events of the previous two
I really struggled with what’s his bucket really trying to put his personal stamp on the second one. Just screwed everything up and after he got booted the third one was trying to put it back on course and finish the series at the same time. Too much to accomplish there. I’d love a do over of the second one, and for someone to backhand slap the guy who made it in the face.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Orlov is much more understandable of a signing over Ghost if you know that Skjei is going to get paid a gigantic pile of money in UFA. He's a luxury good this year and a highly needed top-4 piece next year.
With our defensive mindset I think while they assuredly looked at it the way you say, I think they would’ve signed Orlov no matter what the other contracts looked like. We had space and you can never have enough Dmen. When we didn’t land a big fish forward it’s a very us way to think that we can still help the offense by adding another good dman.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

Rangers made a similar Ghost-like signing in Gustafsson at only $850K (Quick at $850K was also a smart move and would have preferred that over AR) and he has performed well both 5x5 and also in the PP.

FWIW: Orlov has played superbly over the last 2 games....whether it's a Chatfield pairing or just getting the hang of the system, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad