Around The League 40: As we barrel towards 40 teams

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Not matter what you did someone would be offended, which is why the league is doing it I’d guess. It doesn’t matter that his wife is Native, or that it to us is seen as a pure image. Some Native groups would be offended for various reasons, or maybe just because a white man is wearing the mask at all….even if he’s married to a native.

We can say “that’s dumb” all we want but most of us are white folk. We don’t and really shouldn’t get a vote.

I think it’s a sweet mask but I get it. The Native American issue is complicated and runs deep.

I understand that some get upset with white men appropriating things from a different culture. But I've got to believe that the fact that the mask was designed by Mdewakaŋtuŋwaŋ Dakota native Cole Redhorse Taylor would go a long ways towards negating that in this instance.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I totally get why a few people are bent out of shape over this. I do. But, the moment a goalie tried to wear the Russian flag on his mask, it would all make sense.
I may be tripping but isn’t there at least one Russian goalie that wears a Russian flag on his mask? Bobrovsky or vasilevskiy maybe?

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
I understand that some get upset with white men appropriating things from a different culture. But I've got to believe that the fact that the mask was designed by Mdewakaŋtuŋwaŋ Dakota native Cole Redhorse Taylor would go a long ways towards negating that in this instance.
Tell me you didn't copy and paste.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Not matter what you did someone would be offended, which is why the league is doing it I’d guess. It doesn’t matter that his wife is Native, or that it to us is seen as a pure image. Some Native groups would be offended for various reasons, or maybe just because a white man is wearing the mask at all….even if he’s married to a native.

We can say “that’s dumb” all we want but most of us are white folk. We don’t and really shouldn’t get a vote.

I think it’s a sweet mask but I get it. The Native American issue is complicated and runs deep.

That makes sense...until you realize the Blackhawks exist. If that logo is OK to wear, the mask is small potatoes comparatively.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

I don't think it's so much of that as it supposedly opens the door to people wearing things for one-off nights that are a hell of a lot more controversial.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Tell me you didn't copy and paste.

Of course I copy and pasted! Do you think I was going to try to spell Mdewakaŋtuŋwaŋ on my own? That would be kind of like trying to spell "Skjei" on my own when he first came here.

1700861905280.png

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
They should just stop having these nights. If the players are banned from showing any support what’s the f***ing point?

Does this also mean no Star Wars masks? What about a Whalers mask on Wgalers night?

The real question is, if the issue is that the mask shows support on theme nights, does that mean if he had worn this mask on any other night, it would have been OK?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I am so over people getting but hurt about stuff. When it came out that there are Native American groups that are going at Cleveland and Washington upset that they weren't consulted before the name changes threatening to sue if they don't change the names back to Indians and Redskins.

I completely gave up caring about peoples feelings

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
That makes sense...until you realize the Blackhawks exist. If that logo is OK to wear, the mask is small potatoes comparatively.
I always want to understand that one better, I think it’s more complicated than that. Bettman is a lawyer and very intelligent guy. I would wonder if the league would have traction for forcing them to give him their logo, especially if it‘s felt they can present an argument for having the logo that would hold up In court. They’d lose a ton of money and identity in their opinion off losing the logo so they’d fight it. That it’s happened in other sports is likely irrelevant, different league have different rights and rules. I don’t think that’s as easy as Bettman snapping his fingers at them and forcing them to give it up. A completely different situation to have a player not wear a mask. Saying that because they can’t figure out the Hawks issue then everything should be all good doesn’t exactly check out.

While I think they should find a way to make it across the board even as well, I doubt they haven’t gone back and forth over the Hawks and how to handle it.

Reactions: DaveG

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
The real question is, if the issue is that the mask shows support on theme nights, does that mean if he had worn this mask on any other night, it would have been OK?
Considering how custom goalie masks have become I can't think of a good reason to ban it any other night that doesn't tie directly to a theme night where other warm up items have been banned. Unless they are trying to claim he is making some kind of political statement by wearing it and that isn't allowed.

Reactions: DaveG and geehaad

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I totally get why a few people are bent out of shape over this. I do. But, the moment a goalie tried to wear the Russian flag on his mask, it would all make sense.
Yeah that or what if some of our Scandinavian players want to have a bunch of Runes inscribed on their helmets to celebrate their heritage? That would make the Southern Poverty Law Center have a spaz attack.

The NHL shouldn't have any stupid "nights". Just play goddamn hockey.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
They should just stop having these nights. If the players are banned from showing any support what’s the f***ing point?

Does this also mean no Star Wars masks? What about a Whalers mask on Wgalers night?

Raanta sure could've used the force last night.

A Vader or stormtrooper mask would sure be sweet.

Come to think about it all of our skaters deserve to wear stormtrooper helmets.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Yeah that or what if some of our Scandinavian players want to have a bunch of Runes inscribed on their helmets to celebrate their heritage? That would make the Southern Poverty Law Center have a spaz attack.

The NHL shouldn't have any stupid "nights". Just play goddamn hockey.
Damn a Thor themed viking helmet would be sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad