Around The League 40: As we barrel towards 40 teams

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
bruins choke big time shortly after their basketball team lost to the Hornets lol

Choke, yes. But Tampa's passing on the game-tying and OT-winning goal was DISGUSTING. Just two 50 ft, tape-to-tape passes. The first on the backhand, Kucherov to Stamkos, the second between two Boston players, Hedman to Haegle.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
This was on the CapFriendly trade machine.

Necas to Columbus for Laine 50% retained

I stated yes on the trade without hesitation, but there was a dissenter who said no saying Laines play so far this year was subpar. Even though Laine’s point total was 1 point behind Necas

Would you make that trade

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
No. Laine’s effort levels, injury history, and his inconsistencies give this a thumbs down.

Necas has his inconsistency and such but we know how he does in this system
Both are 25 years of age and I believe Rod can bring out the best in Laine, also a 4.3 million Laine for the next 3 years is worth a lot more than a 7-8 million a year Necas. The kicker in the deal is the 50% retained along with the history of Aho and Laine. And Laine is a lot more effective on the PP than Marty. Love Marty, but this would be a deal you take in a second. IMO

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
That’s a toughie. I feel like if Laine can shoot like has historically that’s an element no one else on this team really has. But on the flip side Necas in 3 on 3 overtime may be one of the best in the league at winning those games so that’s a pretty rare gift too. Tough call

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Both are 25 years of age and I believe Rod can bring out the best in Laine, also a 4.3 million Laine for the next 3 years is worth a lot more than a 7-8 million a year Necas. The kicker in the deal is the 50% retained along with the history of Aho and Laine. And Laine is a lot more effective on the PP than Marty. Love Marty, but this would be a deal you take in a second. IMO
Counting on Rod to magically get more out a player who plays the exact opposite of this system seems futile.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Laine is bait. He would be a poor fit for our system, and if CBus has given up on him so quickly after acquiring him, there's got to be a good reason.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Necas is frustrating at times but I hold out hope that he will breakout and his speed/skill is an element I wouldn't want the Canes to lose.

Now, Laine for a different package, ie picks, TDA + Drury + another minor league player(s) not named Morrow, Nishikin, Sorum would work for me (I know TDA is a non-starter)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’ve always thought he’d be interesting with us. He just always seemed like a newer generation player who plays as hard as the situation is worth to him. I think playing with Aho on a contender could be the thing that wakes him up…or maybe he’s just waiting until he gets to NY or whatever floats his boat? I’ll just say I wasn’t surprised Cbus didn’t do it for him after leaving Winni. If you believe that we are short that “50 foot player” who might not really be our style but gives us the goals we need then this is arguably the best 50 foot player in the league. He hasn’t lost his shot, he’s lost his interest. He doesn’t create a ton by himself, he needs a playmaker. Cbus just doesn’t have the environment for this guy to thrive in.

Does he “deserve” such a place? I don’t know. He’s what we don’t have though. A big righty shooter we could set up all day on the pp who could also score 5v5 with the right linemates. I don’t know if I want to see him 5v5 with Aho and TT but I’d love to see a power play with the three of them.

It shouldn’t cost Necas.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I don’t think it should cost Necas, and Necas is certainly a walk away counter for Carolina.

I do think Morrow would need to be part of the package. Because without Necas or Jarvis, the top young/prospect options are Nikishin and Morrow. One of them would need to be included.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I like Laine but I don't think he's a game-changer here.

If we're going to make a big trade, kick the tires on Draisitl.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Is Laine’s shot good enough to transform the PP? The seasons of 20 and 15 say yes. However, he’s only scored 25 total in the years since.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Is Laine’s shot good enough to transform the PP? The seasons of 20 and 15 say yes. However, he’s only scored 25 total in the years since.

The shot still says yes. He’s a guy that gets open and ready to shoot all the time, the higher the skill level of the team the more guys that find him.

I get torn about this guy, but whenever I actually watch him it seems obvious he’d bring something we truly lack in spades. We clearly aren’t upgrading center, so we’re looking for goal scorers that aren’t easy to push around. This guy isn’t going to go destroying people with hits but he’s hard to knock off pucks or intimidate. To me it’s always about how invested he is.

He’s the most confident, strong, and natural shooter I’ve seen since Kovalchuk.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC

The shot still says yes. He’s a guy that gets open and ready to shoot all the time, the higher the skill level of the team the more guys that find him.

I get torn about this guy, but whenever I actually watch him it seems obvious he’d bring something we truly lack in spades. We aren’t upgrading centers obviously, so we’re looking for goal scorer we that isnt easy to push around. This guy isn’t going to go destroying people with hits but he’s hard to knock off pucks or intimidate. To me it’s always about how invested he is.

He’s the most confident, strong, and natural shooter I’ve seen since Kovalchuk.

While my interest on him has cooled the last couple years, I would still take him. No one on our team, nor in our system, has a shot like that. Not even close. I still think playing with Aho & Teuvo would bring out his best, skill & effort wise.

In saying that, not sure if his health is the best right now or it's as others have mentioned & that his "want to" just isn't there. Who knows.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
The night that he was scratched he had posted it was the one year anniversary of the passing of his Dad. I imagine that loss has been a contributor to some of his performance woes over the past few years.

Reactions: DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
We would be obligated to bring Pulju back if we did.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
He's a UFA in 2026. If he wants to play with Finnboys, maybe worth a discussion then. In the meantime, he just seems too expensive, both in dollars and in asset return, for what he brings. Right now he's a reclamation project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad