Around The League 40: As we barrel towards 40 teams

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I've only seen the grainy video that looks clearly like an accident. Would like to see the HD one that supposedly makes it clear that a kick was intentional before making further comments

Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I've only seen the grainy video that looks clearly like an accident. Would like to see the HD one that supposedly makes it clear that a kick was intentional before making further comments
I’m hard pressed to even imagine how some other video could make it look intentional. Short of a dude taking his skate off and going after someone with the blade I find it absurd to charge someone with a death during a sporting event. Everyone participating understands there are health risks involved. Of course someone actually dying is incredibly rare and no one imagines that could happen but I think it’s still clear the risk is there in any contact sport, let alone just hockey.

Reactions: cptjeff

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I’m hard pressed to even imagine how some other video could make it look intentional. Short of a dude taking his skate off and going after someone with the blade I find it absurd to charge someone with a death during a sporting event. Everyone participating understands there are health risks involved. Of course someone actually dying is incredibly rare and no one imagines that could happen but I think it’s still clear the risk is there in any contact sport, let alone just hockey.
From what was posted he was looking right at Johnson. His skate or for that matter no part of him hit the other player and he flung his skate in the air with no other cause just to make contact. Thats why I would like to see it because the video I saw he was clearly looking at the player he made contact with made a shit effort to hit said player, while one skate was off the ice while instride his other skate colided with the other players skate cause him to spin uncontrollably.

But what do I knoe

Reactions: bleedgreen

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
To my understanding, the UK system is different. An arrest in thr UK isn’t the same as an arrest in the US. An arrest in the UK is the equivalent of “called in for questioning” in the US. The biggest thing I pulled was there are a couple reasons that could fit why Petgraves might be arrested, but not charged:

- To prevent causing physical injury to yourself or any other person – for example, if you’ve already been violent and it’s likely you may assault others if you’re not arrested

- To prevent suffering physical injury yourself – for example, if your behaviour might provoke others to assault you, so you need to be arrested for your own protection

- If the officer believes that their investigation will be delayed unreasonably if you’re not arrested. For example, if they need to interview you or collect evidence from you, but don’t believe that you’ll come to the police station voluntarily.

- If the officer believes that they won’t be able to find you later. For example, if the address you gave is temporary accommodation which you might leave before they get back in contact with you.

The latter two make sense, if Petgraves is still playing on the team, it might be difficult to contact him in a reasonable time if that team travels

Just wanted to let you know there is another video circulating around that’s been edited to make it seem much more intentional than the original did. Dunno if that’s the video you watched or not, but it’s out there.

Well, it is a country where you can get arrested for tweeting that you don't like all the Palestinian flags being flown or that you think mass immigration is damaging the country, soooooo...

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014

Welp, that's one way to sing the anthem

naked-gun-enrico.jpg

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
This version of the video I’ve see he’s looking right at Johnson and lunges at him with the left leg. It’s an easy google search and I think the website has the name “Marca” in it.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I definitely did NOT have on my bingo card that the Rags would be having a world-beating start to the year and the Devils would be a 50/50 team with shit defense. I mean, we knew the Devils had some defensive issues, and that losing Severson and Graves was a risk, and that replacing it with Hughes was a risk too, and that despite his great handful of games, Schmid was basically their Kochetkov but he was their bonafide starter without a Freddie Andersen safety blanket.

Damn now that I type it all out of course the Devils didn't take another step forward. Still an early season, but I'm not convinced the Devils are the contender we thought they were. I'd much rather be a plucky bunch of medium-scoring sparkplugs with elite D like Carolina than an elite offense who has to score 5 or 6 to win on any given night like NJ. I mean NJ is 3.9 GA per game. They have a 50/50 record with Hughes missing a few games but this is with Hughes going supernova 2 PPG, with upcoming UFA Toffoli going a full PPG, and Jesper Bratt pacing for 1.6 times his career high in points.

Like a lot is going right for NJ and they aren't winning that much. As much as we may criticize some of the Rangers' ways of winning (elite PP and some weak 5v5 play), their defense is objectively way better than Jersey's right now. It will be interesting to see how the metro shakes out, but the early goings make it a 2 horse race for first.

Also, I just wanted to add that I'm not buying the Caps' hot streak. They've won 3 in a row and are playing pretty well, but they also have a negative goal differential and have played 9 of 14 at home. I don't buy that they are a playoff team at this stage but they do look better than I predicted at the start of the year.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I definitely did NOT have on my bingo card that the Rags would be having a world-beating start to the year and the Devils would be a 50/50 team with shit defense. I mean, we knew the Devils had some defensive issues, and that losing Severson and Graves was a risk, and that replacing it with Hughes was a risk too, and that despite his great handful of games, Schmid was basically their Kochetkov but he was their bonafide starter without a Freddie Andersen safety blanket.

Damn now that I type it all out of course the Devils didn't take another step forward. Still an early season, but I'm not convinced the Devils are the contender we thought they were. I'd much rather be a plucky bunch of medium-scoring sparkplugs with elite D like Carolina than an elite offense who has to score 5 or 6 to win on any given night like NJ. I mean NJ is 3.9 GA per game. They have a 50/50 record with Hughes missing a few games but this is with Hughes going supernova 2 PPG, with upcoming UFA Toffoli going a full PPG, and Jesper Bratt pacing for 1.6 times his career high in points.

Like a lot is going right for NJ and they aren't winning that much. As much as we may criticize some of the Rangers' ways of winning (elite PP and some weak 5v5 play), their defense is objectively way better than Jersey's right now. It will be interesting to see how the metro shakes out, but the early goings make it a 2 horse race for first.

Also, I just wanted to add that I'm not buying the Caps' hot streak. They've won 3 in a row and are playing pretty well, but they also have a negative goal differential and have played 9 of 14 at home. I don't buy that they are a playoff team at this stage but they do look better than I predicted at the start of the year.
I've been banging the drum all summer long that NJ had set themselves up to be the Oilers of the East, and I'm not backing off those claims anytime soon. It was a major red flag that the Canes, even without Svech and Patches, were able to dogwalk their defense in the playoffs last year. Even moreso when you realize we got shut down against Florida and had to scratch and claw to do much against the Isles. NJ was always a paper tiger, and its getting exposed now, they just didn't value defensive hockey nearly enough when building out their roster.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The real question is how long until the police open an investigation into Lindholm? Since skates never get that high on accident, apparently…
Are you not watching the same video of the Johnson thing that I am? I know you’re making a joke but I can’t see how you watched the other video and think that it’s an accident the leg made contact. Of course the part where it hits his neck was accidental. We’ve seen this thing with Lindholm many times, close calls on plays like that happen multiple times every season. I’ve been hit in the face or very close to it with a skate like that three or four times during my life and I’m 6’4”.

I only started wearing a cage for good a few years ago….not my smartest call.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I've been banging the drum all summer long that NJ had set themselves up to be the Oilers of the East, and I'm not backing off those claims anytime soon. It was a major red flag that the Canes, even without Svech and Patches, were able to dogwalk their defense in the playoffs last year. Even moreso when you realize we got shut down against Florida and had to scratch and claw to do much against the Isles. NJ was always a paper tiger, and its getting exposed now, they just didn't value defensive hockey nearly enough when building out their roster.
we'll see what becomes of them in a couple years IMO. Losing their two best defensive dmen in Severson and Graves was going to hurt this season, long-term it's going to depend a lot on how Nemec turns out. If he's the real deal defensively as well they'll be fine. Of course that's TBD, I don't pay enough attention to their prospects to know if he's as complete a prospect as Nikishin is for us, or if he's more of a Scott Morrow WIP type that maybe ends up being primarily an offensive type.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
we'll see what becomes of them in a couple years IMO. Losing their two best defensive dmen in Severson and Graves was going to hurt this season, long-term it's going to depend a lot on how Nemec turns out. If he's the real deal defensively as well they'll be fine. Of course that's TBD, I don't pay enough attention to their prospects to know if he's as complete a prospect as Nikishin is for us, or if he's more of a Scott Morrow WIP type that maybe ends up being primarily an offensive type.
That still so incredibly risky to base your entire viable competitive window on a prospect who you hope will blossom into a player you desperately need him to be. In an ideal state, they have one or two stopgap solutions in place to hold them over between now and then, ideally with an overlap so that there's a failsafe already in place in case he's not everything they hope.

Instead, all the resources they'd typically give to that failsafe went to more offensive firepower. And there's enough long term contracts there that they better wish they didn't back themselves into a corner because there won't be many easy outs other than pulling off some trades.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Are you not watching the same video of the Johnson thing that I am? I know you’re making a joke but I can’t see how you watched the other video and think that it’s an accident the leg made contact. Of course the part where it hits his neck was accidental. We’ve seen this thing with Lindholm many times, close calls on plays like that happen multiple times every season. I’ve been hit in the face or very close to it with a skate like that three or four times during my life and I’m 6’4”.

I only started wearing a cage for good a few years ago….not my smartest call.
appreciate the perspective. I have had close calls as well, the closest being a stick blade got inside my cage. would have sliced my face if I didn't grab the guys stick and tell him don't move. A skate blade is so much sharper than a stick blade.

when these things happen, it's so fast. you cannot prepare for it other than using additional equipment: neck guard, wrist guard, full cage. Personally, I think the Johnson hit was intentional. didn't mean to fatally injure him but a leg whip that high while not falling, to me, signals intent. My two cents.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Skates can definitely do damage pretty easily. I had the outside of my wrist cut a few years ago; I was coming off the bench and had placed my hand on the boards the same time a team mate was swinging his leg over and he caught the exposed skin cleanly. I didn't even notice until the refs blew the play dead and told me I was bleeding all over the ice ha.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
appreciate the perspective. I have had close calls as well, the closest being a stick blade got inside my cage. would have sliced my face if I didn't grab the guys stick and tell him don't move. A skate blade is so much sharper than a stick blade.

when these things happen, it's so fast. you cannot prepare for it other than using additional equipment: neck guard, wrist guard, full cage. Personally, I think the Johnson hit was intentional. didn't mean to fatally injure him but a leg whip that high while not falling, to me, signals intent. My two cents.
Scary when a stick gets caught in the cage! I’ve had that happen in games I’ve reffed a few times. I’ve had someone slide a stick in there and right back out a couple of times with minimal damage somehow. Like you said it was too quick to do anything. The last time I had stitches (the last time before I finally kept a cage on) the doc and I had a talk about my past and when forced to recall as much as I could I counted 30-40 stitches to my face related to sticks and pucks over the years. The close calls with the skates didn’t lead to a cut, there was one time with a cage on where it would’ve. I’ve landed face first on top of skates a couple of times. Laces taste awful.

Based on my personal playing experiences and the years I’ve spent at the rink coaching/reffing and seeing what happens to everyone else it’s 100% appropriate to force people to wear neck guards. We used to have to when I was in high school but they let me get away with wearing a headband around my neck! So at one point or another many places have forced such equipment and there’s no game impedance for anyone to complain about other than it’s less cozy than not wearing them.

Old school arm gear featured long cuff gloves that overlapped elbow pads with long forearm pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad