Around The League 40: As we barrel towards 40 teams

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
...what Slavin does is rarer and a lot harder to find than offensive gee wiz.
I was about to argue that elite goal scoring is the rarer commodity, and I went to look at McDavid's stats to make the argument -- and then I changed my mind. About McDavid, anyway.

Draisaitl, on the other hand, would be a no brainer. Drai has hit 50 goals three times; McDavid has only done it once. Drai's cap hit for the next two years is $8.5m, which wouldn't even make him the highest paid player on this team.

I would trade Slavin for Drai 1 for 1 today.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I was about to argue that elite goal scoring is the rarer commodity, and I went to look at McDavid's stats to make the argument -- and then I changed my mind. About McDavid, anyway.

Draisaitl, on the other hand, would be a no brainer. Drai has hit 50 goals three times; McDavid has only done it once. Drai's cap hit for the next two years is $8.5m, which wouldn't even make him the highest paid player on this team.

I would trade Slavin for Drai 1 for 1 today.

Connor is having a poor year. But also consider that this is the first time he's been under a PPG since 2015.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Slavin has consistently lead a team deep into the playoffs more then McDavid.
Not that many years ago, many HF fans said "If Slavin is so great, how come the Canes haven't made the playoffs". Using playoff success to value a player isn't always a good measure.

In the end, neither player has gotten a cup.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Not that many years ago, many HF fans said "If Slavin is so great, how come the Canes haven't made the playoffs". Using playoff success to value a player isn't always a good measure.

In the end, neither player has gotten a cup.
I get that but again there are a lot more offensive players then top D men. Much harder to find a Slavin then there is to find a McDavid

Reactions: cptjeff

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I get that but again there are a lot more offensive players then top D men. Much harder to find a Slavin then there is to find a McDavid
C'mon. McDavid is a generational talent. I get that EDM's roster construction (D and goalie) sucks, but acting like it's harder to find a Slavin than a McDavid is silly.

Over the past 3 seasons, McDavid leads all other players by almost 60 points. Let that sink in. 60 points.

The top Hurricane (Aho) has 42 less goals and 173 less points. It's almost impossible to find a McDavid. They come around rarely and you have to have a #1 pick.

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
In a copycat league, other teams would logically just do what the Canes do to (1) win a ton of hockey games and (2) do it with a collection of rookies and castoffs in net. Yet, it doesn't happen. Why is that?

Defensive talent is a thing. Slavin (and Pesce and Staal) bail out mistakes. It's not as noticeable and easily measurable like points, but it happens nightly.

McDavid is clearly a more valuable player. I do understand the apprehension of a foundational change like proposal was. It would be a different type of team, not necessarily better, in my mind.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
C'mon. McDavid is a generational talent. I get that EDM's roster construction (D and goalie) sucks, but acting like it's harder to find a Slavin than a McDavid is silly.

Over the past 3 seasons, McDavid leads all other players by almost 60 points. Let that sink in. 60 points.

The top Hurricane (Aho) has 42 less goals and 173 less points. It's almost impossible to find a McDavid. They come around rarely and you have to have a #1 pick.

Sid the kid
Ovi
Bedard
Kane
Panarin
Draisaitl
Kucherov
Malkin

That's just active players. Name one other Dman that's is shut down on the same scale as Slavin.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
There is a review in NY as the Rangers think they scored short side against the Blue Jackets but Elvis had his skate to the post. It’s one of the longest reviews I’ve seen but I believe they got it right. I hope the Jackets hold on. Fantilli is going to be amazing.

Reactions: DaveG

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Not one but two Habs players lost a skate blade earlier, within a few minutes of each other. Never seen that before.

• Wow
Reactions: DaveG

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Sid the kid
Ovi
Bedard
Kane
Panarin
Draisaitl
Kucherov
Malkin

That's just active players. Name one other Dman that's is shut down on the same scale as Slavin.

Sid and Ovi are the only two that are in the same tier as McDavid. The rest are top tier players (or are projected to be), but not generational talents. And considering those two are easily first ballot HoFers and one is close to breaking records of literally the best player of all time, that's very, very limited company.

Slavin is a top tier defensive defenseman. Just like Vlasic was in his prime, Suter was in his prime, Giordano, etc. They're top tier defensive defenseman. But they're not generational, first ballot HoF defensemen like Lidstrom or Chara were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad