Around The League 40: As we barrel towards 40 teams

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Popping up on my News feed:

1699728105234.png

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
McDavid's amazing, but you don't trade Slavin for McDavid, period. Aho+Necas+some prospects? Maybe, but that's a tough call. Slavin, though? The root of our consistent winning is league-best team defense. Slavin is the single largest factor behind this.

Our defense could survive without Slavin. It obviously wouldn’t be as good, but it wouldn’t completely tank it. But you’re talking about the ability to add a literal generational talent. The man had 153 points last year. You trade Slavin for McDavid every day and twice on Sundays.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Our defense could survive without Slavin. It obviously wouldn’t be as good, but it wouldn’t completely tank it. But you’re talking about the ability to add a literal generational talent. The man had 153 points last year. You trade Slavin for McDavid every day and twice on Sundays.
Playing the cap game I seriously don’t know that I’d trade them both for him though. I don’t know that you can win with a 12 million guy on the roster, though maybe it eases up as the cap goes up.

I’d give up Slavin for him for sure.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Slavin has consistently lead a team deep into the playoffs more then McDavid.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
There are far more top tier offensive players then there are shut down D guys. You can make the trade if you want but thats puts you squarely in the "trying to out score, your bad D" kinda team like the Leafs and Oilers.

I'll pass

Again, even without Slavin, our D is better than most defenses in the league.

And this isn’t just a top tier offensive player. This is a literal generational talent. Take the offensive production of the best offensive performance of any of our players last year and double it. THAT’S what McDavid did.

I love Slavin as much as the next fan, but you can guarantee if Waddell had the chance to acquire McDavid at the cost of Slavin, it’d be done so fast your head would spin.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Again, even without Slavin, our D is better than most defenses in the league.

And this isn’t just a top tier offensive player. This is a literal generational talent. Take the offensive production of the best offensive performance of any of our players last year and double it. THAT’S what McDavid did.

I love Slavin as much as the next fan, but you can guarantee if Waddell had the chance to acquire McDavid at the cost of Slavin, it’d be done so fast your head would spin.

Our forwards backcheck. Every line. That's the single most important part of our defensive success, and the proof is how relatively well the team has performed when Slavin has been injured. Obviously a trade would be worth it, and just as obviously such a trade will never happen.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
You don't win games by having the one best player. In a vacuum, McDavid is the better player than Slavin. Yet teams are not built in a vaccum, and relative to other players in the league, what Slavin does is rarer and a lot harder to find than offensive gee wiz. And he does what he does at a far cheaper price, allowing us to fill in the roster with multiple guys who can combine to equal McDavid output.

Some of y'all want to be Toronto or Edmonton with the way you would build a roster, I swear. Pick any two of our forwards and I'm happy to give them up for McDavid. But I am not touching the centerpiece of the league's best (ish) defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad