Around the League - 2023/24

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Did I read somewhere that he also lowballs everyone? Why would someone want to be a GM lite and also low pay? :laugh:
Why pay them full price when they don't get to make decisions? :sarcasm:

QN59fWQ.jpeg

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The Sens confuse me. From what I gather, there was real competition for ownership. This isn't an Arizona situation anymore.

Steve Staios seemed to be a bit unexpected, but I'm willing to see what he's got. However, Travis Green and Mike Yeo do not scream championship team to me. Maybe I'll warm up to Green in a different environment.

Reactions: The Moops

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The Sens confuse me. From what I gather, there was real competition for ownership. This isn't an Arizona situation anymore.

Steve Staios seemed to be a bit unexpected, but I'm willing to see what he's got. However, Travis Green and Mike Yeo do not scream championship team to me. Maybe I'll warm up to Green in a different environment.
I'm really curious how Ottawa pans out... they got a bunch of old school hockey guys in that front office. Will be interesting to see if they succeed with them. Namely Dave Poulin, who I think is a brilliant hockey mind even if he has some blindspots, and how he mixes in today's NHL.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The last thing I recall Nolan Baumgartner doing as a player was quite literally throwing Andrew Brunette into his own goalie, Dan Cloutier, during a Canucks/Avs game. That resulted IIRC in a pretty serious injury for Cloutier and I don't think he ever played for them again. I always joked that Baumgartner did them such a huge favor by ultimately freeing them of possibly their most frustrating goalie ever.

EDIT: I guess he actually did return to the lineup but got hurt again not long after, and eventually missed the entire season. He was traded to the Kings after they acquired Luongo, so the Bruno collision was still essentially the end of his Vancouver tenure.

Anyway, that's what I always think of when I see Baumgartner's name come up.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO

That seems like a lot of partial ice view seats. Those better be pretty damn cheap.

How many other NHL arenas have partial view seats?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Man there's not a clear sightline available from either end. I wonder how much it's going to cost to renovate and open that up.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
A few B is the floating number. Sounds like they may be looking at a floor the elevates up for hockey and goes back down for basketball. Which seems incredibly complicated and expensive.
Any idea why they are obscured? Is it the jumbotron or something? How would raising the floor help with that?

Edit: I presumed it was the far side of the ice they can't see, it I guess it's the near side? In which case raising the rink would help.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Any idea why they are obscured? Is it the jumbotron or something? How would raising the floor help with that?

Edit: I presumed it was the far side of the ice they can't see, it I guess it's the near side? In which case raising the rink would help.
It is basically the whole bowls are built around. A basketball court that is way smaller than a rink. Then the bowls are really steep for a modern arena. So it just isn’t the right setup at all. Similar to Barclays that it is a square peg and round hole situation.

Rumors are that a whole bowl section on an end (likely 2x defend) will be torn out where a high priced club and box seats will be placed with a few rows below. Those rows will retract and the ice will elevate and shift to that end. Sounds a bit crazy and expensive. But if it works, great basketball environment along with great hockey seats. At about 16.7k capacity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad