Around the League - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Better question… did Alanis peg any hockey players?
Does Dave Coulier count?
Man the 2017 Sabres were a decent team on paper, look at this (including the goalie).

03rqg8e.png
What? No they weren’t. Risto as your #1 defenseman!?!? Also, by the time Brian Gionta showed up in Buffalo in 2014, he was around 35 years old and was essentially done by 2017. If HE’S your top line winger you got problems.

Only thing I like about this roster is that third pairing. I’ll never understand why so many NHL coaches hated Cody Franson.

Reactions: missionAvs

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Only thing I like about this roster is that third pairing. I’ll never understand why so many NHL coaches hated Cody Franson.
Simple. He's a 6'5, 230 pound behemoth who is soft as baby shit because he wanted to play an offensive game and hated defending.

Basically a very poor man's Dougie Hamilton. When you are just average offensively like Franson was, coaches don't have time for you to not use your god-given size.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Simple. He's a 6'5, 230 pound behemoth who is soft as baby shit because he wanted to play an offensive game and hated defending.

Basically a very poor man's Dougie Hamilton. When you are just average offensively like Franson was, coaches don't have time for you to not use your god-given size.
Eh, that just makes him a much better version of Tyler Myers IMO. As a third pairing guy you could do much, much worse.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think Myers is much more willing to engage physically than Franson ever was.
Not by a ton IMO. Myers doesn’t really seem to hit guys unless it’s in the dirtiest way possible. He also has no clue how to use the immense reach and leverage his huge frame allows. Dude has the hockey sense of a backyard mushroom. Franson was no star but as a depth piece he contributed plenty.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Death, taxes, Pokecheque irrationally hating on Myers and Ristolainen...

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Nothing irrational about that. What’s irrational is assuming that a big defenseman with a heavy shot and some flashy puck skill is a franchise cornerstone.

You seriously gonna tell me Risto is good? That’ll be your silliest take yet.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Does Dave Coulier count?

What? No they weren’t. Risto as your #1 defenseman!?!? Also, by the time Brian Gionta showed up in Buffalo in 2014, he was around 35 years old and was essentially done by 2017. If HE’S your top line winger you got problems.

Agreed. That team sucks.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Nothing irrational about that. What’s irrational is assuming that a big defenseman with a heavy shot and some flashy puck skill is a franchise cornerstone.

You seriously gonna tell me Risto is good? That’ll be your silliest take yet.
No, he isn't good but not as bad as you think he is either. Just like Myers.

Risto was once a promising defenseman who landed in a bad organization at the absolute worst time. If anything he's the biggest Sabres victim of the current era. In the end he still got his money though.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
No, he isn't good but not as bad as you think he is either. Just like Myers.

Risto was once a promising defenseman who landed in a bad organization at the absolute worst time. If anything he's the biggest Sabres victim of the current era. In the end he still got his money though.
He’s sucked every bit as bad for the Flyboys. And again, promising or not, if he’s on your top pairing, you have a bad team.

I’ll admit my hatred of Myers is irrational. He’s just so unimaginably dumb. Not a terrible player per se, just terribly mediocre. I’ll admit the whole “Chaos Giraffe” discourse cracks me up though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Commie seems like a nut case at this point, but him going crazy after a dude definitely means there is something substantial there.
This ladies and gentlemen is why Francis gets fired. Makes a lot of good moves, but then makes a very puzzling move that does not work out. I get it that Bylsma has had some great results in the AHL, but what makes him different compared to Hakstol? What sort of magical bean talent will Dan have to somehow make this Kraken team better when Ron was the reason why they took a step back this prior season.
Are those wrong takes? For how good of a rebound season Myers had this year, he's not somebody I would ever want to play for my team. Ristolainen is much better, but has some of the lowest IQ in the league. He's somebody I would take a chance on, but not somebody I would ever want to give a long-term contract.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
  • Now that their season is over, the New York Rangers will soon begin formal contract discussions with Igor Shesterkin’s camp on an extension. He has one-year remaining on his current contract and projects to be the highest paid goaltender in NHL history. Carey Price (still on the books) leads the list with a $10.5M AAV, followed by Sergei Bobrovsky ($10M AAV) and Andrei Vasilevskiy ($9.5M AAV).

11M+ AAV

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
  • Now that their season is over, the New York Rangers will soon begin formal contract discussions with Igor Shesterkin’s camp on an extension. He has one-year remaining on his current contract and projects to be the highest paid goaltender in NHL history. Carey Price (still on the books) leads the list with a $10.5M AAV, followed by Sergei Bobrovsky ($10M AAV) and Andrei Vasilevskiy ($9.5M AAV).

11M+ AAV
He's worth every penny too. There are not many goalies that you should pay top dollar for, Shesterkin is one of them.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I know I hated on Evander Kane quite a bit over the years but I almost feel bad for him now. His ex-wife is some next level crazy bitch.

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I know I hated on Evander Kane quite a bit over the years but I almost feel bad for him now. His ex-wife is some next level crazy bitch.

I don’t feel badly for him. He’s a clown. I have all the empathy and sympathy in the world for that poor kid who’s going to go through the wringer with parents like that. Hope it doesn’t affect that innocent kid too much

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
Yeah, Dundon’s a f***ing terrible owner. Gonna be a bit before the general public catches on but it’s only a matter of time.
Did I read somewhere that he also lowballs everyone? Why would someone want to be a GM lite and also low pay? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad