Around the League - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Byram wasn't exactly great last year either. He's hopefully rounding out into a very solid second pairing guy. But from a fourth overall you want more.
Besides Mikko and MacK a lot of the performances from last year were forgettable. I'll agree that Byram's performance last season wasn't good, but he missed half the season. This season is make or break for him imo, but we've seen how well he can play when he is on. We've got the defensive depth to give him a few months to get it together.

EDIT: Frankly I don't give a shit till the playoffs anyways. If he sucks and we trade him, fine. But the games hardly matter with this team till April.

Last edited:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Speaking of Rene Bourque, funny how it seems some of those guys were Avs longer than they actually were. Like how long did Rene Bourque spend with the Avs? At least two seasons, maybe three? Actually one 65 game season. How about Gabriel Bourque? 3? 4? Actually two proper seasons (55 & 58) plus one in the A with 6 games up.

Also, it's bullshit that I see "55 & 58" and think McLeod and Bordeleau on the Avs fourth line.

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
Speaking of Rene Bourque, funny how it seems some of those guys were Avs longer than they actually were. Like how long did Rene Bourque spend with the Avs? At least two seasons, maybe three? Actually one 65 game season. How about Gabriel Bourque? 3? 4? Actually two proper seasons (55 & 58) plus one in the A with 6 games up.

Also, it's bullshit that I see "55 & 58" and think McLeod and Bordeleau on the Avs fourth line.
rork could have been a decent rental but he got a concussion and was done. gork was a callup for a while. McLeod and Bordeleau were heroes and I'll have no more of your attitude.

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
Not really. He had one almost full season in the A (6 games up), then nearly a full season up (5 games down), and then a full season up. And that's all of it.
He was a healthy scratch then. Same thing.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
No, you’re right. Obviously they would have to replace those players, but with cheaper contracts. Would have to fill the bottom 6 with waiver claims and stuff. Perhaps they could still have Drouin at 800K. Now we have Frankie on LTIR so that’s 2 mill free space
If Drouin can't make it work here in our top-9 honestly he should head to Europe. Even at 800K he is not a Bednar-type of 4th liner. Heck he is not even a Bednar-type of player in general. It is up to him to make it work here. And if it does work out good here he will be priced out of our range next season. I just can't see a scenario where Drouin is on this team next year unless he is doing very good and he loves it here so much that he is willing to re-sign at 1M or less regardless of how much he produced. That is very, very unlikely.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Not really, that's a good draft with a ton of good players around Avs/Byram's pick. Seider is already better than Byram, Cozens is elite, Zegras still has loads of potential, Boldy is beastly, Caufield is a goal-scoring machine, and Dach was looking quite awesome before a horrible injury. The jury is still out on some players like Kakko (a great defensive player though), Broberg, Soderstrom, and Podkolzin.

Honestly, the one trending downward is Turcotte and I am a bit surprised by that because he was great in college. Byram is great, but we "didn't luck into him" or whatever that means.

I didn't think what it means is rocket science - the end value of Ottawa's 1st round pick had a lot to do with their performance as a team, and little to do with the Avs. It wasn't luck that we acquired a 1st round pick for Duchene, but it was absolutely luck on the Avs part that it ended up being 4th overall, and if the Blackhawks had taken Byram, there's a very real chance the Avs leave that draft with Alex Turcotte

So yeah, we lucked into Byram - although by my logic, we'd have lucked into one of them anyways lol. Will he fulfill his true potential or not is the real question, because as you noted, lots of picks after him seem to be fulfilling theirs a lot faster

Reactions: S E P H

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Watching JoJo play for the Lightning.

1697930258917.gif

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
There was a time where I thought Samsonov was gonna be the next big thing

Reactions: Murzu

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
If Dorion has a f***ing clue he will do whatever it takes to find a god damn goalie.

Last thing you want to do is build a great team with shit stains for goaltenders.

Kings have been doing this for years and it doesn't work.

Ottawa seriously thought Korpisalo was the answer lol. F**k off. Go find someone, like, now.
Buffalo's the same

Go convince Boston to give up Swayman. Send them Pinto, Forementon, picks, prospects, whatever the f*** it takes and make it happen.

If not him, go to Florida asking for Knight. Or Nashville for Askarov.

But do something. Running it back with Korpisalo for 4 seasons is asking to miss the playoffs for 4 seasons.

Accept that he'll be a 4M backup and go find someone with upside, even if you have to overpay. It beats missing the playoffs year after year.
What has Knight proven ?

Reactions: Chiarelli

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
You aren't trading for a proven guy who costs a lot of money, you already have Korpisalo. You have to take a shot on a young guy. They had one and stupidly gave him up for Talbot.
oh I agree dumb to get rid of Gustavsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad