Around the League - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
Imagine believing Bedard isn't elite but that Byram is....
I don’t know who here would call Byram elite. We literally watch him play down the lineup from possibly the most elite defenseman in the league every night. Byram is a beaut, but not elite.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I would've loved Kakko, uniting him and Rantanen. But I don't know if we sign Nuke if that happens, and how our D would look without Byram.

Pretty sure we could've offered a better development ground for Kakko. If for nothing else, at least we would not have been afraid to send him to the AHL when it became clear he wasn't ready to step in as 18 years old.

A real piece of shit play, charges and targets the head on the dying seconds of a game 2 goals down.

Reactions: Murzu and Azrael89

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
I would've loved Kakko, uniting him and Rantanen. But I don't know if we sign Nuke if that happens, and how our D would look without Byram.

Pretty sure we could've offered a better development ground for Kakko. If for nothing else, at least we would not have been afraid to send him to the AHL when it became clear he wasn't ready to step in as 18 years old.

A real piece of shit play, charges and targets the head on the dying seconds of a game 2 goals down.

Rasmus has always been a low key dirty little bastard.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Andersson is the most fake tough guy in the league.

Constantly tries to tout how tough he is on the ice to opposing players yet will never drop the gloves. Always making dirty plays, punching guys in scrums then hiding behind officials/teammates.

Someone is going to run him some day and there will be zero sympathy from people around the league.

Reactions: Azrael89

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
That's a laugh. We absolutely wouldn't have Lehkonen and or Nichushkin. Or maybe we have them, but Rantanen is gone. You are insane if you think we have Hughes and the rest of the forward group together (assuming he would've panned out the same). There is a thing called salary cap.

Considering how we won the cup with our D and Byram was a big part of it, I think it's more likely we don't win if we draft Hughes. Not with the same recipe, our outlook would've been totally different.
Byram 3.85
Wood 2.5
Tatar 1.5
Drouin 825

That’s 8 plus mill available if you don’t have those players. You give the 8 to Hughes this year. Not sure how it would work last year since Hughes 8 mill contract kicked in last year, but for this year and moving forward you could afford it. Probably had to make some more changes going forwrd but the cap is going up.

Just not having Byram and Wood going forward, you have 6.35 so we’re talking about Avs only needing to free up 1.7 mill for Hughes. Definitely doable and you could have Lehky and Nuke and resign Mikko and all that. Now if Landy comes back, that’s entirely a different scenario

Edit: I was just replying to the post about what would the Avs look like with Hughes and I did say that they would not have good depth up front and on D, and I also don’t think they would have won the cup in 22.

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Yall are literally doing math to figure out how to fit in the salary of a player we never had or even had the opportunity to draft
It’s not that hard. Hughes would have been on ELC until last year, then Avs would just need to LTIR Landy last year which they didn’t do after they resigned Hughes to the same contract the Devils did or maybe CMac could work his magic again and sign him to a cheaper contract like 7.5 or something. Then for this year and moving forward, just see my post^^^*

It’s not really rocket science

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I remember there being a lot of rumours we wanted Barkov in 2013 but we still took Mack. Of course these are wild hypotheticals but there’s still a good chance we take the more obvious consensus choice like we had 6 years earlier remembering how that worked out

It’s all a wild hypothetical situation anyways. Are we better set up starting last year and into the future with Hughes? Its pretty hard to argue against Mack-Hughes as a 1-2 punch at C on a team with Makar.

Do we still win in 22? Complete mystery. It’s not as simple as swapping Byram and Hughes on the rosters.

It has a butterfly effect on every move we make from June 2019 onwards. The Kadri trade probably doesn’t happen because now we have Hughes. So the return from Barrie changes and you can’t confidently predict that we make a single one of the other important moves that happened after. There’s no guarantee they build anything as good as that 2022 roster
Yeah people always forget the butterfly affect when playing the "if" game.

Byram 3.85
Wood 2.5
Tatar 1.5
Drouin 825

That’s 8 plus mill available if you don’t have those players. You give the 8 to Hughes this year. Not sure how it would work last year since Hughes 8 mill contract kicked in last year, but for this year and moving forward you could afford it. Probably had to make some more changes going forwrd but the cap is going up.

Just not having Byram and Wood going forward, you have 6.35 so we’re talking about Avs only needing to free up 1.7 mill for Hughes. Definitely doable and you could have Lehky and Nuke and resign Mikko and all that. Now if Landy comes back, that’s entirely a different scenario

Edit: I was just replying to the post about what would the Avs look like with Hughes and I did say that they would not have good depth up front and on D, and I also don’t think they would have won the cup in 22.
Unless I'm reading your post wrong you also need to replace those 4 guys with Hughes and 3 others. Those 3 players would most likely cost us at least 4M.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The Byram hate for a player who has had 4 rough games to start a year on his off side is nuts. He's no Hughes but god damn ya'll he helped us win the cup! Give the kid some time to get his feet underneath him this season before calling for his head lol
This board went from :eek::eek::eek::eek:ing in their pants about Byram to only posting what ifs about Jack Hughes and trading Byram.

Oh really, you can't say :eek::eek::eek::eek:.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Yeah people always forget the butterfly affect when playing the "if" game.

Unless I'm reading your post wrong you also need to replace those 4 guys with Hughes and 3 others. Those 3 players would most likely cost us at least 4M.
No, you’re right. Obviously they would have to replace those players, but with cheaper contracts. Would have to fill the bottom 6 with waiver claims and stuff. Perhaps they could still have Drouin at 800K. Now we have Frankie on LTIR so that’s 2 mill free space

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
We never missed out on Hughes

We lucked into Byram
Not really, that's a good draft with a ton of good players around Avs/Byram's pick. Seider is already better than Byram, Cozens is elite, Zegras still has loads of potential, Boldy is beastly, Caufield is a goal-scoring machine, and Dach was looking quite awesome before a horrible injury. The jury is still out on some players like Kakko (a great defensive player though), Broberg, Soderstrom, and Podkolzin.

Honestly, the one trending downward is Turcotte and I am a bit surprised by that because he was great in college. Byram is great, but we "didn't luck into him" or whatever that means.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Many people don't remember this but Byram was supposed to be a lock at 3rd OA and Dach was the Avs guy.

Dach going 3rd was a surprise.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If Dorion has a f***ing clue he will do whatever it takes to find a god damn goalie.

Last thing you want to do is build a great team with shit stains for goaltenders.

Kings have been doing this for years and it doesn't work.

Ottawa seriously thought Korpisalo was the answer lol. F**k off. Go find someone, like, now.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Ottawa seriously thought Korpisalo was the answer lol. F**k off. Go find someone, like, now.
Too late, did you see that contract?

Dorion signed Matt Murray to a terrible 6.25M X 4 contract. Murray didn't have a single decent season in Ottawa.

Then he traded a very good young goalie (Gustavsson) for washed up old ass Talbot. Talbot didn't have a single decent season in Ottawa.

Then signed Korpisalo to a 4M X 5 contract. We are here now.

That's so f***ing bad.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011

Dorion signed Matt Murray to a terrible 6.25M X 4 contract. Murray didn't have a single decent season in Ottawa.

Then he traded a very good young goalie (Gustavsson) for washed up old ass Talbot. Talbot didn't have a single decent season in Ottawa.

That's so f***ing bad.

When you consider this kind of management the Avs sure have done a remarkable job finding goalies to get the job done in Colorado for the past few years.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

That's so f***ing bad.
Go convince Boston to give up Swayman. Send them Pinto, Forementon, picks, prospects, whatever the f*** it takes and make it happen.

If not him, go to Florida asking for Knight. Or Nashville for Askarov.

But do something. Running it back with Korpisalo for 4 seasons is asking to miss the playoffs for 4 seasons.

Accept that he'll be a 4M backup and go find someone with upside, even if you have to overpay. It beats missing the playoffs year after year.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Is that the same Jake DeBrusk that asked for a trade a couple years ago? Isn't it funny that it's almost always players with attitude issues that publicly ask for trades? Entitlement syndrome.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
The Byram hate for a player who has had 4 rough games to start a year on his off side is nuts. He's no Hughes but god damn ya'll he helped us win the cup! Give the kid some time to get his feet underneath him this season before calling for his head lol
Byram wasn't exactly great last year either. He's hopefully rounding out into a very solid second pairing guy. But from a fourth overall you want more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad