Around the League - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I remember some of that, Sauve doesn't really count IMHO. Dude would never have been in the NHL if not for his last name and Pierre Lacroix's ridiculous nepotism picks over the years. Absolutely ridiculous that he was paraded around as a "goaltending prospect."

Aebischer had some epic meltdowns. I remember when the Avs had a sizeable lead over the Preds in one game and Darcy Hordichuk scored some weird wraparound goal on him, and he proceeded to blow the lead and several gaskets after that. That dude was NUTS.

I remember Terry Frei was so bent outta shape over the Theodore trade because he thought Abby was better. :laugh:
Oh man was he bad. Between him and Hunter Miska I dont know who was worse.

Reactions: Pokecheque

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
NHL network is showing the Devils Isles game, if I was just tuning in and was looking at the stats, it says Hughes has a goal, and the other Hughes has 2 assists. How the hell am I supposed to know which Hughes has what? How f***in hard is it to put the initial of the 1st name next to Hughes? Can this league do anything right?

Reactions: The Kingslayer

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Dahatschek has an article on the Athletic that made mention of Malkin off to a quick start with 7 points in 4 games.

Only noting it here because by doing so, he climbed past both Patrick Kane and Peter Stastny on the NHL all-times points lists to reach #40.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Do you not remember Joe Pavelski? Or Johan Franzen? They'd both be chasing Wayne's records if they could have played the Avs 82 games a season.
I remember Franzen and Pavelski against us. You are correct. They really did some damage to our team. Even non superstars did some damage to the Avs.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Do you not remember Joe Pavelski? Or Johan Franzen? They'd both be chasing Wayne's records if they could have played the Avs 82 games a season.
There was also Colton Sissons for, like, a two-year stretch there.

This reference will date me for sure, but the mere mention of the name “Clarke Wilm” sends me into a pure rage. Didn’t matter how shitty whichever team he was on, Flames or expansion-era Preds, that werewolf-lookin’ motherf***er was a CONSTANT thorn in the Avs’ side. Could not stand him.

Reactions: Tommy Shelby

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
There was also Colton Sissons for, like, a two-year stretch there.

This reference will date me for sure, but the mere mention of the name “Clarke Wilm” sends me into a pure rage. Didn’t matter how shitty whichever team he was on, Flames or expansion-era Preds, that werewolf-lookin’ motherf***er was a CONSTANT thorn in the Avs’ side. Could not stand him.
Rene Bourque aswell for a few years. Feasted on the Avs

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Yep, what could've been. Always curious to think what our defense would be as well.
It would be the same minus Byram. We’d have Hughes as 2C right now that’s all.

Although Avs would have less depth up front and D if they had to give Hughes 8 mill. Probably wouldn’t have Tatar and Wood. Could possibly still have MacK, Hughes, Colton center depth and Manson would have to play on 2nd pair with Girard, then have cheaper 3rd pair

Last edited:
Reactions: missionAvs

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It would be the same minus Byram. We’d have Hughes as 2C right now that’s all.

Although Avs would have less depth up front and D if they had to give Hughes 8 mill. Probably wouldn’t have Tatar and Wood. Could possibly still have MacK, Hughes, Colton center depth and Manson would have to play on 2nd pair with Girard, then have cheaper 3rd pair
That's a laugh. We absolutely wouldn't have Lehkonen and or Nichushkin. Or maybe we have them, but Rantanen is gone. You are insane if you think we have Hughes and the rest of the forward group together (assuming he would've panned out the same). There is a thing called salary cap.

Considering how we won the cup with our D and Byram was a big part of it, I think it's more likely we don't win if we draft Hughes. Not with the same recipe, our outlook would've been totally different.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Avs reportedly wanted Kakko that year.

So the only way we got Hughes was this way: Avs winning the 2nd OA pick and the team in front of us picked Kakko.

Problem is, chances are there was no other lottery team that had Kakko 1st.

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
I don’t get why people get offended when I say he reminds me of Hughes.
Me neither, cause that’s where I have him for now. He doesn’t look like a Crosby/Ovechkin/McDavid/Matthews level prospect. ESPN needs to slam the breaks on the hype train.

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Avs reportedly wanted Kakko that year.

So the only way we got Hughes was this way: Avs winning the 2nd OA pick and the team in front of us picked Kakko.

Problem is, chances are there was no other lottery team that had Kakko 1st.
I remember there being a lot of rumours we wanted Barkov in 2013 but we still took Mack. Of course these are wild hypotheticals but there’s still a good chance we take the more obvious consensus choice like we had 6 years earlier remembering how that worked out

It’s all a wild hypothetical situation anyways. Are we better set up starting last year and into the future with Hughes? Its pretty hard to argue against Mack-Hughes as a 1-2 punch at C on a team with Makar.

Do we still win in 22? Complete mystery. It’s not as simple as swapping Byram and Hughes on the rosters.

It has a butterfly effect on every move we make from June 2019 onwards. The Kadri trade probably doesn’t happen because now we have Hughes. So the return from Barrie changes and you can’t confidently predict that we make a single one of the other important moves that happened after. There’s no guarantee they build anything as good as that 2022 roster

Reactions: The Moops
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad