Around the League - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec

Avs players said the same thing after they acquired McDermid back then, the year after Vegas bullied them into submission.

People can say what they want about the uselessness of face punchers, there's a reason teammates consistently say that they appreciate their presence. I don't recall the Avs being manhandled since he joined the team.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
After 1 period:

xW3uhlf.png

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Sens outplaying Tampa quite a bit so far
Sens are quite flawed, but there is a lot of hunger in their game which is what you want to see (reminds me of Avs with Roy type of hunger). Grieg is one hell of a draft pick though, I think he's been the most impressive Senators player overall.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Sens are quite flawed, but there is a lot of hunger in their game which is what you want to see (reminds me of Avs with Roy type of hunger). Grieg is one hell of a draft pick though, I think he's been the most impressive Senators player overall.
Yep. Slick play setting up Tarasenko. That kid could be a real find.

Reactions: S E P H

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Are the Sens flawed? Their roster is about as well constructed for the future and nowish as anyone out there. Korpisalo is definitely a weak point, but has flashed talent in spurts.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Avs players said the same thing after they acquired McDermid back then, the year after Vegas bullied them into submission.

People can say what they want about the uselessness of face punchers, there's a reason teammates consistently say that they appreciate their presence. I don't recall the Avs being manhandled since he joined the team.
In the first game of the season, after an Kings player shot a puck into the Avs net well after the whistle, a scrum ensued and Drew Doughty skated over and started punching the back of Byram's head, meanwhile MacDermid just skated around (and yes, he was on the ice)...

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
In the first game of the season, after an Kings player shot a puck into the Avs net well after the whistle, a scrum ensued and Drew Doughty skated over and started punching the back of Byram's head, meanwhile MacDermid just skated around (and yes, he was on the ice)...

He probably can't wait to get back to LA so he doesn't want to burn bridges.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think the Sens' flaw is mostly behind the bench. I'm not sold on Smith. I don't care that he's a former Av, he's not been good as a coach. Combine that with some questions in net and overall strength of the East... that team will have some ups and downs. Though I do think they make the playoffs finally. They do have a lot of talent on forward and defense.

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Are they? I disagree. They have a heck of a roster…especially when they get Pinto and Norris back.
Are the Sens flawed? Their roster is about as well constructed for the future and nowish as anyone out there. Korpisalo is definitely a weak point, but has flashed talent in spurts.
I do think it is a flawed roster in a number of ways, a lot with how Avs were under Roy during his first season. He instilled passion, desire, and hunger, but the team kept making a lot of mistakes due to it being young and playing over the edge intelligently with risk as well.

- A lot of that hunger and desire I suggest comes from Tkachuk being captain instead of Smith behind the bench. DJ just comes across as a bit too lackadaisical for me, it seems he seems out of his place with an NHL gig.

- Goaltending is pretty bad. Forsberg is an okay backup compared to the rest of the league, but Korpisalo is below average. He's got talent, but follows up a 47 save shutout with 4 goals on 15 shots stinker.

- Brannstrom forces the play too much and leads to turnovers, plus he can't handle the physical game. Sucks because I was a fan of him in juniors.

- We all talk about Provorov falling off a cliff, Chabot is in the same category IMHO. He was really regressed compared to where we all thought he would develop into. He doesn't play defence at all.

- Relying on Hamonic in an NHL position at this point in time is bad.

- Sanderson though good, will make mistakes. Chychrun doesn't really have a good IQ for the defensive side. Zub is probably their single best defensive defenceman, but isn't a world-beater.

The bottom 6 is a work in progress, some underrated talent on there with Kastelic and Kelly playing above-average, aren't exactly deep playoff run players (easy fix though).

- Norris should be classified as injury-prone at this point.

- As I said in my opening couple of sentences, not a lot of weaknesses per se (though still flawed), but a lot of inexperienced talented players that will make mistakes as they learn the game. That could be enough to make the playoffs, but not be taken seriously for the next couple of years IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: AvsMakar08
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad