Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - Looking to the offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Josi, Forsberg, Johansen, Duchene, Saros, McDonagh are 74% of the cap floor. I don’t think that’s anywhere near an issue. we’re not going full Chicago tank and I don’t think anyone here wants that.

I don't know WTF the Preds are doing. They could go scorched Earth or shocking rebound. In PoileTrotz we trust. *shrug*. If you go scorched Earth, Nashville's 2 1sts and Saros for Montreal's 2 1sts? I am at full spitball. I expect a Duchene 50% deal.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I don't know WTF the Preds are doing. They could go scorched Earth or shocking rebound. In PoileTrotz we trust. *shrug*. If you go scorched Earth, Nashville's 2 1sts and Saros for Montreal's 2 1sts? I am at full spitball. I expect a Duchene 50% deal.
Just keep in mind while spitballing, there is NOBODY who is going to trade a Bedard ticket for anything we have.

Anyway, I have faith they won't go scorched earth... mostly because they can't really with some of the remaining contracts. And if scorched earth is out, you keep Saros.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Just keep in mind while spitballing, there is NOBODY who is going to trade a Bedard ticket for anything we have.
This sentence could have ended after the word "ticket" and it would still be 100% accurate.

And yeah, I agree - to go "scorched earth", you need to have assets people want, and the fact that we're contemplating that in the first place says something about how plausible that actually is. (And besides, it's a bad idea in any case. That's how you get decade-plus Eternal Damnation.)

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I've been thinking about something and would really appreciate people telling me if my logic is somewhat solid or completely flawed. Basically my perspective is that if one uses the end of last season as a point of reference then the Predators have not even really taken a step back from that point in time but have made massive strides towards potentially improving the future. Even with the moves. (I'm intentionally ignoring Tolvanen for this.)

Jeannot -> OK but I don't think anyone is going to complain about that haul, especially given the performance this season

Nino -> If we believe in the kids then I'm not sure we need to worry about this one?

Ekholm -> McDonagh + Barrie + prospect + picks

It's kind of crazy in a way because the reality is we kind of reset our farm system without even really stepping backwards if you use end of last season as point of reference.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I've been thinking about something and would really appreciate people telling me if my logic is somewhat solid or completely flawed. Basically my perspective is that if one uses the end of last season as a point of reference then the Predators have not even really taken a step back from that point in time but have made massive strides towards potentially improving the future. Even with the moves. (I'm intentionally ignoring Tolvanen for this.)

Jeannot -> OK but I don't think anyone is going to complain about that haul, especially given the performance this season

Nino -> If we believe in the kids then I'm not sure we need to worry about this one?

It's kind of crazy in a way because the reality is we kind of reset our farm system without even really stepping backwards if you use end of last season as point of reference.
This what I keep telling the people I've been talking to. This isn't a rebuild in the classic sense of tearing it down, it's just a reorganization of assets that started in the summer of 2021.

Sure, the Ekholm trade makes it feel like that to some extent, and probably would have been if it was done last TDL but getting McDonagh for free last summer changes the face of this trade from 12 months ago. Had Ekholm been traded last year Poile probably doesn't get McDonagh for free.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

I wonder what the Western Conference will look like next season. I didn't necessarily expect it to be as weak as it turned out to be this season either.

As such a team sport, a lot in hockey comes down to coaching/chemistry/execution intangibles, and the Cap keeps rosters mostly within some shouting distance of eachother.

For us a key will be if the remaining vets/core players stay motivated. Forsberg, Josi, Duchene, Granlund... will they all buy in to believing that the team can be just as good? Or better? Or will they pout a little bit about losing more buddies? Will they resent the kids taking jobs? Or will they take them under their wing and help them grow? There's a lot of ways it could go. A new coach is the first step, though, an absolute must, and after that happens... I don't want to completely discount our chances of remaining competitive next season... but... I'm not going to EXPECT a playoff spot either... if it comes it will be a pure bonus.

If Hynes is still here, I will just automatically write off next season as a rebuilding one, though.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If we could still squeeze granlund out of here, i think we could have a decent mix of vets and young players next season. Split up duchene and forsberg to help provide a better distribution of vet leadership

Forsberg glass tomasino
Evangelista novak duchene
Trenin joey parssinen
Smith sissons Nurmi/Afanasyev
13th forward

Only issue is if joey is out, then i guess you slide parssinen over to center and bring up another winger. We may not be good (especially if theres any regression in the youngsters) but i wont go into the season with the expectations of being good. Id like to see growth in the young fellas games and player development. But even if we keep granny, we arent in a bad place and can get some young players up here

Reactions: Viqsi

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
If we could still squeeze granlund out of here, i think we could have a decent mix of vets and young players next season. Split up duchene and forsberg to help provide a better distribution of vet leadership

Forsberg glass tomasino
Evangelista novak duchene
Trenin joey parssinen
Smith sissons Nurmi/Afanasyev
13th forward

Only issue is if joey is out, then i guess you slide parssinen over to center and bring up another winger. We may not be good (especially if theres any regression in the youngsters) but i wont go into the season with the expectations of being good. Id like to see growth in the young fellas games and player development. But even if we keep granny, we arent in a bad place and can get some young players up here
If there are no other trades that involve forwards, I’d be perfectly fine with the lineup you propose. If another forward is not added and Johansen is out next season , I wouldn’t be opposed to a third line of Trenin Parsinnen Jankowski.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Since we have a boat-load of picks for the next two years. Would/could we package a few of them by themselves to a team needing cap relief for a top 6? Or package with Granny or Fabbro for a top 6? I think we still need a top 6 to go with FF and MD to give us some more pop up top.

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
I think a real wild card out there is Nurmi. Just a gut feeling cause all the times I saw him play he always ended up with the puck around the net. Just a feeling based on little facts.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
My question is about retention. You can only retain 3 times a season. Preds are retaining on Ekholm. So only to left. (Turris' buyout does not count)

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
The Preds C situation is kind of nuts. With Joey out now, plus who knows about next season, is there another team in the league even close to how little we would be paying towards the C position?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The Preds C situation is kind of nuts. With Joey out now, plus who knows about next season, is there another team in the league even close to how little we would be paying towards the C position?
If Roslovic gets traded as has been suggested, the Jackets would be competitive in that regard. Granlund/Sissons/Glass/Novak/Parssinen versus Jenner/Kuraly/Johnson/Sillinger/<2023 draftee>.

Reactions: LCPreds

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
pay =/= production. Still, I want a top C, next yr. Everyone is locked on Beddard I want Fantilli

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
pay =/= production. Still, I want a top C, next yr. Everyone is locked on Beddard I want Fantilli
Far as I'm concerned it's a moot point; they're both literally out of reach for the Preds and I don't think the Jackets are going to end up with either of them either. (That said, if by some miracle we do end up with Bedard, the clown makeup bet is still on.)

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Far as I'm concerned it's a moot point; they're both literally out of reach for the Preds and I don't think the Jackets are going to end up with either of them either. (That said, if by some miracle we do end up with Bedard, the clown makeup bet is still on.)

For clarification on the bet: IF CBJ gets #1, Viqsi gets clowned. (She f***ing hates clowns). If NSH gets a hire pick I get clowned up and pied. (NOT a big fan of being pied, like waterboarding to me. BUT got a new nose so it might fix that.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
No player is out of reach when it comes to the bouncing balls. Likely, no, literally out of reach, I think that's a bit of a stretch. Sorry for the pun.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
No player is out of reach when it comes to the bouncing balls. Likely, no, literally out of reach, I think that's a bit of a stretch. Sorry for the pun.
The Preds are, by points percentage, 16th in the League. The max the lottery lets you move up is 10 picks. They're literally out of reach.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
The Preds are, by points percentage, 16th in the League. The max the lottery lets you move up is 10 picks. They're literally out of reach.
Give us time. We can be fun to watch and lose a bunch of games.

I thought the Rangers moved up 13 slots to take Lafrienniere a few years back, did they change something, am I mistaken, am I hopped up on goofballs?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Give us time. We can be fun to watch and lose a bunch of games.

I thought the Rangers moved up 13 slots to take Lafrienniere a few years back, did they change something, am I mistaken, am I hopped up on goofballs?
That was the 2020 draft, for which a special lottery arrangement was put together because of the season being cut short by the pandemic with teams having played an uneven amount of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad