Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - Looking to the offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Is that chart correct though? The GSVA stuff is behind the paywall so I can't see it but I'd be interested to see hat his real versus projected ended up being. In any case, he had his best season as a Pred last year so it missed that prediction, and while it is correct for this year I really have a hard time classifying him as a bottom line player moving forward.

Almost everyone had their best season as a Pred last season.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I mean, there's a "who you could have spent the money on", but also the "who you could have given the icetime to" element with him. If he's scoring basically at the same rate as our bottom line plugs, then... :dunno:

If we had just let Tolvanen... or Sherwood lol... play all those minutes Granlund has this year, for example.... o_O
The numbers don't tell you everything, of course. Sherwood, having barely played and having 1 goal and 1 assist, is our "top guy" in terms of P/60. lol

Anyway, I'm pretty sure having Granlund and Johansen on the same line doesn't really help either of them that much. Two guys who try to make the extra highlight reel pass and refuse to shoot might suppress both their numbers especially if they are out on the ice constantly. :(

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Remember that time when we signed Granlund and a lot of people made fun of the fancy stats post? Like most things it really only matters what you would have otherwise spent the money on but yeah.

View attachment 648099
Unfortunately, granny isn't worth moving unless he fixes his slide. Otherwise, we rebuild and wait his contract out or go with a buyout near the end.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Say Jeannot gets basically the Trenin deal. I don't feel like he has really proven himself to be worth more. But ok, if I could get him long-term on something in the range of the Jarnkrok deal to the Sissons deal, I'd go for that. Otherwise the Trenin benchmark seems about fair.

And I am optimistic that both Jeannot and Glass want to be here, and aren't going to be "tough" negotiations compared to some. They have some gratitude/loyalty they might feel for getting their breaks here. So just a short term bridge to Glass also... he will still be RFA and with a big role next season can be looking to cash in on the next deal.... I don't think the time is quite right yet to go long term with him.

Carrier and Fabbro have had disappointing seasons relative to last year. Let's say a small bump to Fabbro, just because I think he's a lot better than that, despite his utilization and stats this year. The organization likes Carrier more, so a bit more for him, even though he has also not put up anything like the numbers of the previous year either.

Somewhat wishful thinking on the part about Evangelista being ready, but he has been ahead of the curve thus far. (Imagine if Tolvanen at $1.45M could be slotted in instead... sigh... )

And Askarov for now... he keeps doing incredible things in the minors even with his technical warts. If we can buy him one more year of development in Milwaukee with another UFA signing like Lankinen, great, if not... he might just find a way to pull off an early NHL arrival too. Not ideal, but who knows.

So...

2023-24
Forsberg ($8.5M) - Parssinen ($0.850833M) - Duchene ($8M)
Evangelista ($0.7975) - Glass (?RFA - $1.75M?) - Tomasino ($0.863333M)
Johansen ($8M) - Novak ($0.800M) - Granlund ($5M)
Trenin ($1.7M) - Sissons ($2.857M) - Jeannot (?RFA - $1.7M?)
Smith ($0.775M)

McDonagh ($6.75M) - Josi ($9.059M)
Ekholm ($6.25M) - Carrier (?RFA - $3.2M?)
Lauzon ($2M) - Fabbro (?RFA - $2.5M?)
Gross ($0.7625M)

Saros ($5M)
Askarov ($0.925M)

Buyouts: Turris ($2M)

Total: $80.04M

If we assume the cap is $83.5M like capfriendly does then:
Remaining Cap Space: $3.46M

Little bit of wiggle room for an extra roster spot and for those RFA contracts to come in a wee bit higher, plus Poile's traditional cushion, and that's about it. I don't know if this is "peace of mind" exactly... but that's what the slightly low return on Nino has bought us.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Are we allowed to say: fire Hynes and recall Taylor?

Honestly, I wouldn’t start making trades until after that first step. Because there’s still enough time (barely, fading fast) for a Hail Mary to pan out with a coaching change. But that has to happen very very soon.
If you replace Hynes with Taylor, Trenin is more likely to stay. Taylor played him in Milwaukee, but Evason only played Trenin half of the games in one season. Pay Trenin what he deserves and he will play his heart out for Taylor in Nashville!

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Sorry with Barry taking over, how much power do you think Poile will have as a special advisor?

Are we gonna roll 4 lines of Fiddlers and three D pairings of Zidlickys?

Reactions: LCPreds

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Sorry with Barry taking over, how much power do you think Poile will have as a special advisor?

Are we gonna roll 4 lines of Fiddlers and three D pairings of Zidlickys?
Poile will sit on a beach sipping margaritas and saying "yeaaaahh... that sounds good" until they stop sending him checks. :thumbu: :cool:

In other words, I don't expect a guy like Trotz to really bow to anybody. He might ask advice as a courtesy, probably in more mundane managerial things than hockey things. :dunno:

Reactions: Roman Yoshi

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I look for Poile to stick around for more procedural type things so that nothing gets screwed up on the rule book part of it but Trotz doesn't seem like a guy that would let a former anything tell him what he is going to do once he has that job.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I look for Poile to stick around for more procedural type things so that nothing gets screwed up on the rule book part of it but Trotz doesn't seem like a guy that would let a former anything tell him what he is going to do once he has that job.

So, Poile's son will not be in charge of the fax?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
2023-24
Trenin ($1.7M) - Sissons ($2.857M) - Jeannot (?RFA - $1.7M?)
Smith ($0.775M)

McDonagh ($6.75M) - Josi ($9.059M)
Ekholm ($6.25M) - Carrier (?RFA - $3.2M?)
Gross ($0.7625M)

Saros ($5M)
Askarov ($0.925M)

Total: $80.04M

Remaining Cap Space: $3.46M

Why do I feel like I might need to update this a few more times in the next 4-5 days???? :eek3:

Anyway, we now have CAP SPACE to consider some retention. Whether the budget/philosophy allows it, who knows.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Why do I feel like I might need to update this a few more times in the next 4-5 days???? :eek3:

Anyway, we now have CAP SPACE to consider some retention. Whether the budget/philosophy allows it, who knows.
Is Foote a guy they maybe just let walk or give a few games and send him a qualifying offer only? I'm interested to see if he's more of a throw in like Myers seemed to be or if he's someone they actually targeted thinking they can still develop and salvage a NHL regular out of him.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Is Foote a guy they maybe just let walk or give a few games and send him a qualifying offer only? I'm interested to see if he's more of a throw in like Myers seemed to be or if he's someone they actually targeted thinking they can still develop and salvage a NHL regular out of him.
No, I think they have legit hopes to rehab him and turn him into a player. His QO is nothing daunting, they will sign him and try him next year, I'm sure, no matter what he does down the stretch this year.

As for Myers, I don't even think he was a "throw-in"... he was very highly touted, he was protected in the weird Expansion scheme we took, over a lot of real NHL players. Myers was quite possibly even a bigger part of the Ellis trade than Glass was. We really thought Myers was going to sail in and be that big, tough complement to put on the Right side forever. Alas.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
One question I have is, if that's what Tanner, what the hell is a 24 year old RHD (Fabbro) worth?
Fabbro isn't the "mythical unicorn" type of player that Jeannot is (/was last year). Fabbro is a slightly undersized smooth-skating defenseman, but that's not really THAT unusual a trait, he is at his best when you don't notice him at all, which is also not a big selling feature. I doubt we could trade Fabbro for even a 1st today. So please keep him, Mr. Trotz. Please?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Alright, have time for an update... still expecting another one Friday night, but at least I'm also more optimistic about Evangelista truly fitting there now.

2023-24
Trenin ($1.7M) - Sissons ($2.857M) - Smith ($0.775M)
Afanaseyev ($0.789167M)

Josi ($9.059M) - Carrier (?RFA - $3.2M?)
McDonagh ($6.75M) - Barrie ($4.5M)
Foote (?RFA - $0.900M?)

Saros ($5M)
Askarov ($0.925M)

Retained: Ekholm ($0.250M)

Total: $77.77M

Remaining Cap Space: $5.73M

Although it kind of feels like our remaining Cap space is kind of a moot point now.

Reactions: predhead1

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Cap space for next season is a moot point for now. Should have more than enough but then again.... we still aint done so we may end up using some of that or we could have more.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
seems more likely they retain on granlund than Duchene. they only did a whopping 4% on ekholm. I don’t think it’s something to expect. I welcome being wrong though.

If you are expecting a bunch of entry level contracts, the Preds will need help to reach floor.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
If you are expecting a bunch of entry level contracts, the Preds will need help to reach floor.
Josi, Forsberg, Johansen, Duchene, Saros, McDonagh are 74% of the cap floor. I don’t think that’s anywhere near an issue. we’re not going full Chicago tank and I don’t think anyone here wants that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad