Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - Looking to the offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I don't know WTF the Preds are doing. They could go scorched Earth or shocking rebound. In PoileTrotz we trust. *shrug*. If you go scorched Earth, Nashville's 2 1sts and Saros for Montreal's 2 1sts? I am at full spitball. I expect a Duchene 50% deal.
McCabe is the only multi year retention at 50% ... costing the Leafs $2mil for two years. Duchene would be $4mil of payout for 3 seasons.

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
Michael Gallagher of the Scene/Post threw an offer sheet scenario by the Preds out there for a big gun. Does that seem plausible to anyone? Who would they do it for?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Michael Gallagher of the Scene/Post threw an offer sheet scenario by the Preds out there for a big gun. Does that seem plausible to anyone? Who would they do it for?
1677721835724.png

It would be for 2024, Trotz's draft.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
The Preds are, by points percentage, 16th in the League. The max the lottery lets you move up is 10 picks. They're literally out of reach.
I dont think the final stretch of the season is going to be kind to us but maybe the players from MIL outperform the older guys we are trading (except ekholm... we dont have anyone in our current crop that can fill those skates)

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Nobody. Trotz isn’t going to burn bridges before he gets his office chair broken in.

I dont think the final stretch of the season is going to be kind to us but maybe the players from MIL outperform the older guys we are trading (except ekholm... we dont have anyone in our current crop that can fill those skates)
At least they’ll all know what they need to focus on in the offseason.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Per capfriendly the Preds have 4.2 under the cap and could take on $18.6 million dollars of contracts for this yr.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I've loved the moves being made. Its clear things werent working. Ship off the older players (Granlund/Ekholm to a lesser extent Nino), move Jeannot for the price they got for him. Gives them plenty of kicks at the can the next few seasons, give us cap flexibility to re-sign our guys and potentially add if it makes sense. And as for the rest of the season, you get to see what you have in the pipeline prosect-wise.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Going by past experience (and boy does it suck to have it to draw upon :( ), position is going to be relatively stable because of two things:
1) Those kids from Milwaukee know This Is Their Shot, and are going to be playing their hearts out, and
2) By selling (or by already being bad), you become seen as less of a threat, and so teams subconsciously let up on the gas, start their backup goaltenders, et cetera - which ends up giving you a better chance to get back into the game.

It's why fans of every team hoping for a tank start complaining about "too many meaningless wins" beginning around halfway through the season.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I think this 'Week of Long Knives' had to happen, not just as an organizational reset but there is a pipeline backup.

First you had the signed 1st rders at forward; Kemell, L'Heureux, (late bloomer) Nolan Burke. Svechkov will be signed after the KHL season. Now add Schaefer That's 5 forwards who will be in Milwaukee. Also there are a ton of RHD; Matier, Procop, who are signed. Ufko and Reid are university boys turning 20. AHL age. Nashville could trade Fabbro and Barrie, get a ton of picks, call up Gross and McKeon for the RHD depth chart. Move McD and call up Gravel for LHD depth. Timeline: Reid and Ufko are playing in conference playoffs March 2nd and 3rd. Kemell's Liiga team is shit and their season ends the 22nd. KHL playoffs have already begun. from what I see. Svechkov's SKA is down 1 game in the first rd.

Goalie: If the Preds want to maximize the picks, trade Lanky or Saros and rotate the backup job in Nashville with Cooley and Askarov. Bring up Vomacka up as the backup in Milwaukee.

The forward devastation has begun, but they still have EGOAT and Leonard in Milwaukee. Nurmi has also got to be an option.

This totally sucks for Milwaukee...till all the players from the pipeline come in. Milwaukee will be getting 1 and 2/3rd forward lines. New RHD, and more RHD.

PoileTrotz and co. could; Move Duchene, McD, Barrie, Fabbro. Fill their spots with EGOAT, Leonard, Nurmi, Gross, McKeown, a rotation of Askarov and Cooley as backup.

The chaos might just be starting. MY goal, if I was GM, moves to improve 2023 picks (13 so far, 1 short of a 2nd class), MOAR!!!!! 2024 picks (9 so far), does Sissons go? Preds currently have room to take on 18.6 MILLION DOLLARS OF CONTRACTS. I'd rather move the picks I have up a rd.

Also, they can wait for the draft and make a deal. You would have Poile and Trotz and staff there to wheel and deal.

I will be getting my MS infusion tomorrow so I expect hell to rise around 1PM CST, LOL!!!

The Jeannot trade was a game changer that could go down like the Lindros Trade; The Better player went to Philly but the pieces created a dynasty for the Avs. The front office could get nothing from here on out and it was a good deadline.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
I think the only trade left is possibly trading a defenseman. No need to dump players, we're going to be under the cap and Ryjo may never return to form with this injury so he may end up on LTIR indefinitely if the nerves don't fix properly. They are setting him at 3 months but nerves can take up to a year to fully heal.

I think of the defenseman Fabbro would be the only one left to trade this year that could make sense.

Barrie would be a better return at the draft or next TDL as a piece to acquire more picks/prospects for 2024.

We could trade Duchene before the NMC kicks in but I just don't see that happening. Pretty soon with all the youth we will need some big contracts to keep us near the floor. He wants to be in Nashville, and while he's not worth the 8m he's definitely a good player.

No reason to cap dump, just let the contracts expire on their own McD/Ryjo/Duchene and then start finding replacements that are young and hungry.

I would say 2 years from now will be interesting, when Saros has more years in the NHL and Askarov is ready to crack the line-up. That will be interesting if we can get a big haul for Saros and find a serviceable back-up for Askarov we could definitely snatch some people up in FA.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
proud of how well preds fan have taken the rebuild trades. not sure how to phrase it but it’s obvious from the reaction of this last week just how overdue this was. cheers to an exciting week and cheers to a new era with no neck.
I'm really proud of the organization as well on how they're handling it. I mean yes, we have moved some core pieces but we still have something to build around the next timeline.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
proud of how well preds fan have taken the rebuild trades. not sure how to phrase it but it’s obvious from the reaction of this last week just how overdue this was. cheers to an exciting week and cheers to a new era with no neck.
It's interesting because the burn it down people are happy, not sure they'll stay happy if P&T don't make more moves, and the "competitive rebuild" people are happy that they've only cut out the dead weight or redundant players, not sure they'll stay happy if this cuts deeper.

Side note: I've used P&T for so long to mean Pete and Terry's outside the arena, now it's Poile and Trotz.

Predation

Dec 18, 2011
I was on the fence about a rebuild the previous two seasons, but I am fully on board after watching the product on ice this season.

We came into this season with a prospect pool that was ranked tenth in the league. I wonder where we will be ranked after this draft! Really exciting times to be a Predator fan. Even if it means a couple of losing seasons.

Reactions: predhead1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad