Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - Looking to the offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I like all three just fine but I don't really see a future 1C there. Glass with his 2 way game has a good shot at 2C I think. Let Novak play more sheltered and get PP time. Or, either Novak or Parssinen could probably move to wing. Of course there's a high chance we won't have any better options at 1C by next year.
We are rebuilding. There are going to be several things we won't have a better option for next season or maybe even the following.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
We are rebuilding. There are going to be several things we won't have a better option for next season or maybe even the following.
Yeah I mean I don't really expect a better option there. Was just going along with the idea that we might look at an RFA center as NIF suggested.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Are you thinking that Glass, Novak and Parsinnen are poor options for next year?
Glass might have it in him, he's really been turning it up with Duchene, but he's not a guarantee type guy though.

Parssinen is so young it's hard to tell, I'd put him around the same probability as Glass with a different skill set.

Novak, probably not. Decent 2C or really good scoring line 3C.

It's a really good set of young centers that I'm thrilled to be watching. I can still see Trotz using all this draft capital and prospect depth to pluck a sure fire 1C from someone, or attempting to anyway. Maybe it's a team that already has good top 1 and 2 centers and doesn't want to pony up for a sure fire RFA and he packages Novak and other stuff. That give the other team a solid 3C and some draft capital.

Edit to add: We Preds fans are so used to not having decent centers, a wealth of draft capital, and quality prospects in Milwaukee that we don't think about going out and buying a huge name guy. It's always, "we'll have to mortgage the future for one guy that won't put us over top". We'll, that's not the case right now, Poile has this team in maybe the best position it's even been in to BUILD a team.

Last edited:
Reactions: glenngineer

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Glass might have it in him, he's really been turning it up with Duchene, but he's not a guarantee type guy though.

Parssinen is so young it's hard to tell, I'd put him around the same probability as Glass with a different skill set.

Novak, probably not. Decent 2C or really good scoring line 3C.

It's a really good set of young centers that I'm thrilled to be watching. I can still see Trotz using all this draft capital and prospect depth to pluck a sure fire 1C from someone, or attempting to anyway. Maybe it's a team that already has good top 1 and 2 centers and doesn't want to pony up for a sure fire RFA and he packages Novak and other stuff. That give the other team a solid 3C and some draft capital.

Edit to add: We Preds fans are so used to not having decent centers, a wealth of draft capital, and quality prospects in Milwaukee that we don't think about going out and buying a huge name guy. It's always, "we'll have to mortgage the future for one guy that won't put us over top". We'll, that's not the case right now, Poile has this team in maybe the best position it's even been in to BUILD a team.
That however requires two things. First the player has to actually be available, and two Trotz/Poile has to be willing to burn a lot of good assets to get them.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
That however requires two things. First the player has to actually be available, and two Trotz/Poile has to be willing to burn a lot of good assets to get them.
Of course. Doesn't mean it's not a possible scenario, the likes of which this team has never had, given the abundant assets. They basically pulled off the Vegas expansion draft with the TDL moves now they need to have a productive summer and not just make all those picks and go into next season with "5-6 first round picks in Milwaukee" and a bunch of futures.

Package them, bundle them and snipe a literal game changer.

Reactions: glenngineer

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Of course. Doesn't mean it's not a possible scenario, the likes of which this team has never had, given the abundant assets. They basically pulled off the Vegas expansion draft with the TDL moves now they need to have a productive summer and not just make all those picks and go into next season with "5-6 first round picks in Milwaukee" and a bunch of futures.

Package them, bundle them and snipe a literal game changer.
Great but who out there that fits that bill is available? Teams generally aren't looking to move game changers no matter what you offer.

It hasn't been that long where we went through this same scenario and ended up settling on Joey cause he was the best out of basically nothing that was available.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Great but who out there that fits that bill is available? Teams generally aren't looking to move game changers not matter what you offer.
I mean, I'm not going to be able to answer that, it's not my job.

It is P&T's job, along with their hundreds of staff, to identify possible targets and make the deal happen. It's not even close to an impossible task, shit like that happens every year and now they have the assets to do it.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I mean, I'm not going to be able to answer that, it's not my job.

It is P&T's job, along with their hundreds of staff, to identify possible targets and make the deal happen. It's not even close to an impossible task, shit like that happens every year and now they have the assets to do it.
1C's and game changers get traded every year? Want to point a few out then? You don't even see guys on the level of a Nylander get moved very often let alone a game changer.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Dubois might be available. Wait, are they playing him C still? It's very true, they don't come on the market. There is like literally NOBODY else, UFA or RFA for this summer. It's a completely barren market.

But I'm content running out Parssinen/Glass/Novak-Sissons in some combination. It's fine to have a non-elite group of C's, if: a) you aren't paying them like you paid Johansen and Turris, and b) you have a bunch of other elite-ish types of players... we've got a Vezina-caliber goalie and a Norris-caliber D... two 40-goal wingers (welll....) ... so it is what it is. There is no other solution available, we have no choice but to make do with where we are. Let's make do, and not fall into the trap we did of overpaying for Johansen and Turris, at least.

Reactions: cool beans

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
1C's and game changers get traded every year? Want to point a few out then? You don't even see guys on the level of a Nylander get moved very often let alone a game changer.
The moves may not happen every year but there's talk of RFA players being shopped all the time when there's a tough contract negotiation. Just because it's not common doesn't mean it's impossible. It'd be a more straight forward way of giving an offer sheet but instead of dealing with the player you make a sign and trade deal with the team.
Dubois might be available. Wait, are they playing him C still? It's very true, they don't come on the market. There is like literally NOBODY else, UFA or RFA for this summer. It's a completely barren market.

But I'm content running out Parssinen/Glass/Novak-Sissons in some combination. It's fine to have a non-elite group of C's, if: a) you aren't paying them like you paid Johansen and Turris, and b) you have a bunch of other elite-ish types of players... we've got a Vezina-caliber goalie and a Norris-caliber D... two 40-goal wingers (welll....) ... so it is what it is. There is no other solution available, we have no choice but to make do with where we are. Let's make do, and not fall into the trap we did of overpaying for Johansen and Turris, at least.
Yeah, definitely not talking about signing a UFA to an over priced contract.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
I didnt see any injury thread or couldnt find anything new on forsberg... when is he going to play again?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Thats more information than we have gotten from the team. Thank you
In the presser today Poile said "not next game", but the implication was kind of "very soon". :dunno:

Sad that's all we get and it is only just by chance that it was TDL day and there was a presser. :(

Allegedly set to go to Montreal after next season. I kind of worry he's Joey redux.
[Dubois] Yeah, I wouldn't chase after him or anything either. Definitely a red flag that he is even on record trying to get traded to 1 specific team. But he's the best C that is possibly "on the market", regardless of all that.

Which I take to mean, "we should be satisfied to just run our kids out there".

And/or Joey if he comes back ok. (Not expecting that).

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Dubois level is just guys like Joey, a really good 2C but not a 1C and definitely not a game changer.

Game changing levels don't come on the market and if they do they tend to be UFA's who get paid a ton and have a team or two they already want to go too.

You get guys like Dubois a little more often, but they aren't game changers, and as we've seen tend to end up overpaid with higher expectations than what they are.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Dubois is set go to Montreal. I'd stay away from him.

Again, Miller is one I'm looking. He can carry the load as the 1C until we have someone else, and then Miller can transition to the wing. With all that's going on in Vancouver, I think he would come cheap as they're trying to rebuild their core around Pettersson and Hughes.

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022
We need to build through the draft like Tampa, Boston, Carolina, and all other perennial contenders. We don’t just want ONE more run. We want multiple runs. If we’re gonna do this why trade everything we just tore down for barely equal replacements? Trotz isn’t gonna do that unless theirs an absolute no brainer on the table. Which is less than likely. But I’m here for a immediate fix tho. But those are fallacy’s.

Dubois is set go to Montreal. I'd stay away from him.

Again, Miller is one I'm looking. He can carry the load as the 1C until we have someone else, and then Miller can transition to the wing. With all that's going on in Vancouver, I think he would come cheap as they're trying to rebuild their core around Pettersson and Hughes.
I do like miller. But same tune I sang in the quote above. He had a big season in a contract year. We need less of those guys not more of them. We don’t have to win next season. 3-4 years

Reactions: PredsV82

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
We need to build through the draft like Tampa, Boston, Carolina, and all other perennial contenders. We don’t just want ONE more run. We want multiple runs. If we’re gonna do this why trade everything we just tore down for barely equal replacements? Trotz isn’t gonna do that unless theirs an absolute no brainer on the table. Which is less than likely. But I’m here for a immediate fix tho. But those are fallacy’s.

I do like miller. But same tune I sang in the quote above. He had a big season in a contract year. We need less of those guys not more of them. We don’t have to win next season. 3-4 years
He's been PPG ever since he got to Vancouver and got the bigger role.

I do understand your point, and wouldn't want to waste a huge amount of assets on Miller. However, with the situation Vancouver is in, we could be able to snag him for Johansen + L'Heureux + 2nd or something like that. It would benefit us moving forward greatly, certainly not put in contention but at least staying competitive.

Predation

Dec 18, 2011
Does anybody here think Glass has the potential to be an elite 1c? I think you would see that by the age of 23, but he has had setbacks with injury and Covid. He has the draft pedigree and seems to be getting better every game.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Does anybody here think Glass has the potential to be an elite 1c? I think you would see that by the age of 23, but he has had setbacks with injury and Covid. He has the draft pedigree and seems to be getting better every game.

I guess we'd need a benchmark for what elite looks like in this scenario to be certain, but I would say no if it's my definition.

I think he's got the chance to be a 20-45 guy.

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
"Elite" is a very high bar, and unfortunately I think if he could reach that level we'd have seen it by now. I think he could be among the top 30% of 1Cs in the league if he continues to progress at his current rate, but Trotz's statement implies that he thinks having a game-changer at 1C as a necessity to win the cup, so Glass might top out as a 2C here (which would be a good thing, IMO).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad