Speculation: Arizona only has 5 players signed for next season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

finkelsteinberg

Jul 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
The Coyotes have tried many times to win and paid to.
Yup. So that 3 year span where they were a very good team (including a trip to the conference final) they were not trying to win?

And Roenick and Tkachuk were long gone.

And part of the mess they are in now was because they got caught up in trying to compete and traded away assets for Taylor Hall.

Don't forget when they signed Ribiero who apparently loved Columbian exports more than playing hockey.

Reactions: Laus723

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If history holds true, they will leave when it's time for a big pay long term payday.

Which history is that? Are you from another timeline? Hanzal, Yandle, OEL etc... all stayed. Arizona has never had a problem signing anyone. They didn't want to pay a 25yo Garland $5m+ for a player that will skate out his prime on a bottom feeder, so they cashed him in for 9OV. It's rebuilding the right way - get a bulk pile of assets all on the same timeline.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Benning is doing everything he can to make sure Zona doesn't draft 1st overall.

1st team in history to play an entire AHL but hit the cap floor due to LTIR, buyouts and cap retention.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Help us out and take on some salary from us this summer. For old times' sake

Sincerely,
Brad Treliving and Don Maloney

Reactions: Kaizen

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I thank you for that clarification, but I will say enduring a horrible year for a 1/4 chance isn't a ton of incentive.
It’s a huge incentive relative to A) previous odds & B) the odds of the 2nd worst team (12.1%).

The last place team has twice the odds as the 2nd to last place team. Which is why the Coyotes roster is what it is. They weren’t about to allow any challengers for that top spot in the lottery.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
They weren’t trying to win when they they won the Pacific and went to the WCF in 2012? Averaged over 100 points between 2010-2012.

Yeah, and then what happened? They did the same thing they always do, after they didn't win anything, "rebuild". Wow they really went for the gusto for 3 years.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
:facepalm:

I’ll take the time to explain it if you promise to actually read it. Deal?

The Coyotes have failed due to not drafting enough, drafting poorly, and developing badly.

In the last two off-seasons, the Coyotes have hired:

General Manager
Bill Armstrong:
STL Scout - 6yrs
STL Dir. Scouting - 8yrs
STL Asst. General Mgr - 2yrs

Scouting Director
Darryl Plandowski:
BUF Scout - 8yrs
PIT Scout - 2yrs
TBL Head Scout - 11yrs
TBL Dir. Scouting - 2yrs

Associate Scouting Director
Ryan Jankowski:
NYI Scout: 2yrs
NYI Asst. General Mgr: 5yrs
MTL Scout: 3yrs
BUF Dir. Scouting - 3yrs

Director of Scouting
Alan Hepple:
NSH Scout: 5yrs
COL Scout: 7yrs
COL Asst. Dir. Scouting: 6yrs
COL Dir. Scouting 6yrs

Head Coach
Andre Tourigny:
QMJHL GM/Head Coach: 11yrs
COL Asst. Coach: 2yrs
OTT (NHL) Asst. Coach: 1yr
OHL VP Hockey Ops/Head Coach: 4yrs
Team Canada U18 Asst. Coach: 1yr
Team Canada U18 Head Coach: 1yr
Team Canada U20 Asst. Coach: 4yrs
Team Canada U20 Head Coach: 1yr
Team Canada WC Asst Coach: 1yr
QMJHL COY: 1yr
OHL COY: 2yrs
CHL COY: 1yr

Assistant GM
John Ferguson:
OTT Scout: 3yrs
STL Asst.GM/Dir.Ops: 7yrs
TOR General Manager 5yrs
SJS Dir. Scouting: 6yrs
BOS Dir. Player Pers./AHL GM: 7yrs

Development Staff
Scott Pellerin:
TOR Dir. Player Dev.: 7yrs

Development Staff
David Oliver:
AHL General Manager: 2yrs
COL (NHL) Dir. Player Dev./AHL GM: 1yr
COL (NHL) Dir. Player Dev./AHL Dir.Ops: 1yr
AHL Asst.Coach/Dir.Ops: 2yrs
AHL Dir. Hockey Ops: 1yr
COL (NHL) Dir. Player Dev.: 4yrs
NYR Asst. Coach: 3yrs
---
In the last two off-seasons the Coyotes have acquired:

2021 - 1st VAN (9th overall)
2021 - 2nd CBJ (37th overall)
2021 - 2nd COL (60th overall)

2022 - 1st MTL
2022 - 1st COL
2022 - 2nd SJS
2022 - 2nd PHI
2022 - 2nd VAN
2022 - 2nd NYI

2024 - 2nd MTL
2024 - 2nd FLA

Conor Timmins (22)
Josef Korenar (23)
Dylan Guenther (18)
Josh Doan (19)
Ilya Fedotov (18)
JJ Moser (21)
Cole Hults (23)
Vladislav Kolyachonok (20)

---

They hired a bunch of really highly regarded young talent identifiers, and a bunch of really highly regarded young talent developers, and then they went out and acquired an absolutely unprecedented haul of young assets under 25 years of age. So now all of those newly hired, highly regarded young talent identifiers can locate the best young talent and all of those newly hired, highly regarded young talent developers can make sure they are brought along correctly, and progress according to plan.

It's easy for dopes who don't pay attention to say "yeah, yeah, we've seen it all before" but we really haven't. Not if you actually look. If you have a brain and you pay attention you can spot the difference. This is nothing like anything we've seen before. The Coyotes have absolutely never restructured an entire front-office, hockey ops, and coaching staffs to SPECIFICALLY accommodate an absolutely massive rebuild, based entirely on a proven track-record of success in young talent identification and development. And while the Coyotes have traded off a bunch of old players before, they've never torn it all the way down to 24 and under, and no team has ever accumulated that massive of a haul of under 24 assets in a single year.

Anyone who thinks all of this isn't wildly unprecedented isn't paying attention. Nobody ever does this. Nobody acquires 3 1sts, 8 2nds, a handful of good prospects under 25 in a single year. Nobody replaces their GM, AGM, Coaching Staff, Scouting Staff, and Development staff in a single year, while simultaneously tearing the entire roster down to the bare studs.

They did this in 12 months time.

They have changed scouting, coaching and management many times in their history, and every single time they have done what I have pointed out they did, but type bigger hoping to prove your "point". I think it is you who isn't reading, and just getting upset that the team is called out, for what it is. They have drafted a lot of young guys in their history and every single time they didn't do what they needed to get somewhere. This is 100% no different than the last time they rebuilt which was like 5 years ago. Doesn't matter if they have a few more picks than the last time they rebuilt, the process is still the same. The only way it changes is if management proves they will change it, and to date they haven't. Also, this isn't an insult to you, but to a franchise that has been protected by the league more than any other franchise in league history. Lots of other teams have done poorly in records, finances and attendance and the league said good bye relatively quickly, but this team keeps getting saved for some reason.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
They have changed scouting, coaching and management many times in their history, and every single time they have done what I have pointed out they did, but type bigger hoping to prove your "point". I think it is you who isn't reading, and just getting upset that the team is called out, for what it is. They have drafted a lot of young guys in their history and every single time they didn't do what they needed to get somewhere. This is 100% no different than the last time they rebuilt which was like 5 years ago. Doesn't matter if they have a few more picks than the last time they rebuilt, the process is still the same. The only way it changes is if management proves they will change it, and to date they haven't. Also, this isn't an insult to you, but to a franchise that has been protected by the league more than any other franchise in league history. Lots of other teams have done poorly in records, finances and attendance and the league said good bye relatively quickly, but this team keeps getting saved for some reason.
It’s the exact same if you ignore all the investment they made in scouting and player development this year.

Reydin

Jun 21, 2008
There will come a time with all these futures they have that they will develop a bottleneck in there developmental system. The will start losing kids that have not been fully developed due to Arbitration or Roster limits. AZ will need to start keeping or to start trading/signing veterans to mentor all these kids as well. Although if you were ever going to have over 10% of the picks in the first 2 rounds, this is the year to do it. Their scouting staff better be good.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Don Maloney? They over achieved but they were trying to win. Chayka, was a shit show but they were trying to win. TGO, again, shit show but I highly doubt the goal was to be what they were.

We have an owner with money, for the first time since the moved to the desert, possibly (I was 8). We revamped the entire hockey Ops with guys that have track records of success (don't recall this ever happening here). We have a highly regarded rookie coach, known for building culture. We tore down the team following a pandemic when most teams have some money issues to take on bad cap and collect picks and undercut an expansion team (maybe) that wanted to pull the same move the previous expansion team did. It was a wise time to do this if we were going to do it.

I'm not happy we're rebuilding again but all signs point to this being well thought out.

So our issues are a crappy roster which will get better and needing a new arena/lease. Not seeing the doom and gloom posters are presenting.

The Coyotes management has not tried to win very often. They have many times spent just to the floor, or added cap dumps that made their cap a lot higher than it would be, and in this league that is not trying to win. The players and coaches will try to win of course, the owners have definitely not tried to win very often. Notice my disdain is not for the fans of this team, but the league that protects this team for some reason.

Your team will improve through the draft, but when they need to get paid, just like every time the owners will make different choices. Like I said, this has happened for a long time now. This is like their 3rd rebuild in 12 years. Why are you so confident you aren't in for more of the same. If I was a Coyote fan, I would have as much confidence they will get somewhere as cheering for a Melnyk led Senators team. Now if you get different owners, than maybe things change.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It’s the exact same if you ignore all the investment they made in scouting and player development this year.

Why, cause they added a couple more guys? Also, how long will they pay for more scouts and improvements?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
No. You are correct. Just a couple of “guys”. No big deal. No pedigree there.

What pedigree? I have heard of almost none of those guys and the ones you have heard of, aren't exactly legendary scouts at the NHL level.

Most teams have scouts that have been doing it a long time, which is the only accolade the guys you hired have. That is also acting like you have had trash before this in the scouting department, which I don't think is true.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
What pedigree? I have heard of almost none of those guys and the ones you have heard of, aren't exactly legendary scouts at the NHL level.

Most teams have scouts that have been doing it a long time, which is the only accolade the guys you hired have. That is also acting like you have had trash before this in the scouting department, which I don't think is true.
We had a single (as in 1) European scout under Maloney!

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
We had a single (as in 1) European scout under Maloney!

Yeah, but Arizona hasn't really had any worse a time scouting than anyone else. Every team has major misses. ARI's issue is with keeping their stars or good players, and then adding to it, cause the owners didn't want to spend the money.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, but Arizona hasn't really had any worse a time scouting than anyone else. Every team has major misses. ARI's issue is with keeping their stars or good players, and then adding to it, cause the owners didn't want to spend the money.
Which stars did we not sign? OEL? We signed (but shouldn’t have)? Keller? Garland who said he was more than willing to sign a team friendly deal before he was dealt? Chychrun? Who’s that franchise player we let slip through our finger? Blake Wheeler? We offered him more $ than he signed for but that was a bungled development plan from the get go(and i sat beside a Flames scout at a game during Wheeler’s 3rd season post draft and he didn’t think Wheeler would be a 4th liner at the NHL level).

the problem with AZ has been a lack of quality players and the root cause of that was their scouting department (1 European scout is a huge f***ing issue) and their piss poor player development. Had they not taken steps to address (and hiring guys who were instrumental in building Tampa and Colorado is a big deal) these issues we were destined to repeat the last few rebuilds.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Which stars did we not sign? OEL? We signed (but shouldn’t have)? Keller? Garland who said he was more than willing to sign a team friendly deal before he was dealt? Chychrun? Who’s that franchise player we let slip through our finger? Blake Wheeler? We offered him more $ than he signed for but that was a bungled development plan from the get go(and i sat beside a Flames scout at a game during Wheeler’s 3rd season post draft and he didn’t think Wheeler would be a 4th liner at the NHL level).

the problem with AZ has been a lack of quality players and the root cause of that was their scouting department (1 European scout is a huge f***ing issue) and their piss poor player development. Had they not taken steps to address (and hiring guys who were instrumental in building Tampa and Colorado is a big deal) these issues we were destined to repeat the last few rebuilds.

Who are these guys they added when they had good players? Point is the owners don't spend, unless they need to get to the floor. When the owners change how they operate than we can talk, but as of now, they keep doing to the same things. They have committed to rebuilds before.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Who are these guys they added when they had good players? Point is the owners don't spend, unless they need to get to the floor. When the owners change how they operate than we can talk, but as of now, they keep doing to the same things. They have committed to rebuilds before.

Taylor Hall? the current owner is on his second year owning the franchise. The previous owners did not have the billions that this owner has. He has invested in building a foundation and building through the draft and has hired the people to get it done.he’s also just about to finance a new arena project with private money. U want to continue to spread a false dated narrative fine.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
The Coyotes management has not tried to win very often. They have many times spent just to the floor, or added cap dumps that made their cap a lot higher than it would be, and in this league that is not trying to win. The players and coaches will try to win of course, the owners have definitely not tried to win very often. Notice my disdain is not for the fans of this team, but the league that protects this team for some reason.

Your team will improve through the draft, but when they need to get paid, just like every time the owners will make different choices. Like I said, this has happened for a long time now. This is like their 3rd rebuild in 12 years. Why are you so confident you aren't in for more of the same. If I was a Coyote fan, I would have as much confidence they will get somewhere as cheering for a Melnyk led Senators team. Now if you get different owners, than maybe things change.

lmao, so…you DIDN’T read RT’s post as he asked you to? Mentioned in there were many of the new names, including a new owner who’s two years in.

you’re just gonna be all angry, though.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

Multiple posts have tried to show you the difference today vs the last ~20 years and you seem to be hung up by the past still. You're entitled to your opinion here, however I believe time will prove you wrong. You've stated you hope otherwise so I won't try to sit here and change your mind, I'll let time do that for me.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He actually described it pretty well, honestly. I know you are one of the few legit Yotes fans who actually care about the team, reality is most of Arizona doesn't care about hockey and never will. They have had this trend of drafting high, the player gets good and the team never improves and they all leave, minus a few like Shane Doan who stay there for the duration. Even OEL who many Yotes fans said would never leave, left. They get a mix of good young players and start improving a bit, and then they don't pay to either improve the club or let the new good players leave. Right now they paid to keep Chychrun and Keller for example, but if they don't ever give them talent to improve they will eventually get sick of it, if they have any desire to play on a year in year out contending team.

This year, they put together on purpose the worst paper team one could imagine and that is embarrassing. It is one thing to trade off your top end talent and fill it in with a least decent guys to get through a season, but they signed Carter Hutton to be their starter, when he had been bad for awhile. Now they are forced to play a rookie who is probably not ready to play everynight in Vejmelka. They had no center depth and traded Dvorak for picks, leaving them even poorer there. If you are a Coyotes fan who actually goes to games, what incentive is there for most of their history to pay money to watch this team?
I literally listed all of the Coyotes top 5 picks in their history earlier in the thread. All four of them.

And two were 5OA and two were 3OA, so they had two top 3 picks in Coyote history.

And zero top two picks. What an incredible history of “drafting high”.

Now I started with the 1996 draft, I didn’t include earlier franchise history when they were the original Winnipeg Jets under different ownership. It doesn’t seem to have much to do specifically with this weird nonsense narrative about the team in Arizona.

I’m not a Coyotes fan, but I don’t know how someone familiar with NHL draft history doesn’t know how little the Coyotes gotten out of draft, and party of that is also because they didn’t really tank much. They were certainly mediocre at times and definitely often poorly run, but even when they were at their most pathetic, in 2014-15, there was both a luckier team and a more pathetic team.

If the team gets a new arena in a much better location and drafts some exciting players, then they should be able to turn it around pretty quickly. All this concern trolling is weird, there have bad teams who’ve had terrible seasons. And they sold tickets.

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich

Trading for the rights and signing Alex Goligoski. Mike Ribeiro. Ray Whitney. Ed Jovanovski. Tony Amonte. All highly sought after free agents when they were signed by the Coyotes when the front office considered the team competing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad