Are things as bad as we're saying?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The last 2 years the Leafs flew out of the gate with the top guys putting up big points, running up scores in games and being untouchable on the power play. Then after the first month or so everything fell back to earth, points per game slowly dropped, teams adjusted to shut down the power play and after New Year’s last year it actually became more of a race to stay ahead of Montreal than to catch Boston.

This season they won’t have the luxury of having that cushion to fall back on in the home stretch of the season starting this way. On paper they should have taken it up another gear this season and it’s still possible but the team has been gutless so far and heads will roll eventually.

Without that cushion you’re also worried they won’t have the fight to grind out a playoff spot.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Without that cushion you’re also worried they won’t have the fight to grind out a playoff spot.

This team isn’t grinding out anything. They’ll either out-score their other problems or will be DOA.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I dont remember the mcvoy on marner hit but I'll take your word.

I vividly remember from last season watching kadri get mugged by 3 opposing players after the whistle and not one leaf skated over to help. Makes me sick. Do these guys not care about thier teammates? Or are they being told to do nothing?
McAvoy hit Marner in the first minute of the game that Hyman got the two game suspension for hitting...... McAvoy .....

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Ahh yes they'd be better IF......

Injuries - every team gets them
Crazy tough schedule - doesn't stop a team from showing up - excuse
underachieving special teams - same old story
Save % - is legit

If save% is legit then its obviously the biggest issue. Not many treating it as such though.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Just bringing that save% up to average by, lets say, Andersen not giving up those softies to the Blues in a game the Leafs owned or Hutch blowing leads, especially against the Habs and you think so many are losing their minds?

Just those two games and the Leafs are 8-4-1....which probably shows why the overreation by so many looks kind of silly. Its so early in the season to go ape.

I'm not saying the team has been playing like worldbeaters but I think that strictly goaltending has lost them at least 3 games this year....and being at least 9-4 is a top team in this league.

This team is obviously showing up to produce these kind of results and having the best 5D in the league last year and 2/3 of one of the best lines in hockey down with injuries DOES make a difference. Those 3 are a massive part of the team. Gonna be great to have them all back soon.

The most headscratching thing is all the Babcock hate. 5v5 possession and scoring chance differential are near the top of the league. Unless Babs can throw some equipment on to score or make a save, dont know how he can get much criticism. The system looks like its working fine, the players have to convert (especially in net although Anderson is finally rounding into form).

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
It is posts like this that make me respond with a resounding No. The Leafs have been bad, but not as bad as we make them out to be.

Your post doesnt include the part where Brown is top 10 in even strength points, or the Leafs have 2 players tied with Brown for even strength points (therefore 2 guys in the top 10 in even strength points), or that the Leafs have 5 players in the top 25 for even stengh points.

You are literally trying to spin one of the brightest spots of the season (our even strength scoring) as a negative. Ridiculous.

No I think he's pointing to the record...which is a negative...no reason in the world we should be mired with Montreal Tampa Boston and Buffalo (Tampa and Boston yes) the res tof them shouldn't even be close to us realistically...yet here we are

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I have no idea how you come to that conclusion and claim to watch games

You're probably confused by watching so many of our back-to-back games. We've played 3 back-to-backs + without Tavares/Hyman/Dermott + Marner/Andersen not playing to their usual at 5v5.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
SIMMONS: Across the board, coaching, players, management, Leafs should be embarrassed by early-season play

Thirteen games into this season, the Maple Leafs are a convoluted mess. There is no nice way of sugar-coating this: They are a team lacking in identity, a club playing far below its capabilities, deficient in structure, not competitive enough to succeed. The coach should be at his wit’s end right about now, having never faced a challenge of this magnitude in his decorated career.

The players, across the board, should be embarrassed, by the little they’ve accomplished on the ice and the manner in which they have performed in the majority of their games to date. By my count, they’ve played 13 times, four of them of reasonable quality.

If you stretch this into last year’s playoffs against Boston — where, for the most part, they did play reasonably well — and into the last regular season, the Leafs have won 34 of their past 70 games.

That is no small sample size, even with a roster significantly changed from a year ago. This is who they are right now. And what makes this so exasperating is that this isn’t who they should be: Playing at a 90-point pace over a 70-game stretch.

Not good enough to make the playoffs, let alone win a playoff round, let alone contend.

In assessing teams years ago, the Hall of Famer Cliff Fletcher had a basic arm’s-length approach to evaluating his situation. He would take his roster and divide his players into three categories: Those who were playing to expectations; those who were playing beyond expectations; and those who were playing below them.

Then he’d have a sense of what needed to change and why.

Here’s my evaluation of the current Leafs. Those playing above expectations: Ilya Mikheyev, Alexander Kerfoot and Dmytro Timashov. And that’s it. Unless you want to stick Justin Holl in there as well.

Those playing to expectations: Frederik Andersen, Jake Muzzin, Kasperi Kapanen (after getting off the top line) and Trevor Moore.

And those with little expectations to begin with: Fred Gauthier, Nick Shore and Kevin Gravel.

Players falling below expectations are the most concerning here: Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner, Morgan Rielly, Tyson Barrie, William Nylander, Andreas Johnsson, Cody Ceci and then the lesser-lights Jason Spezza, Nic Petan and Martin Marincin.

We have no rating at this time, obviously, for John Tavares, Zach Hyman and Travis Dermott.

Using the Fletcher method, the Leafs should be struggling and, in this case, like most teams, will only go as far as the stars take them.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
You're probably confused by watching so many of our back-to-back games. We've played 3 back-to-backs + without Tavares/Hyman/Dermott + Marner/Andersen not playing to their usual at 5v5.

Good teams win, mediocre teams make excuses.

Fact is, most of this current iteration of Leafs are complete disgraces to the logo. Even if they turn things around, it'll only be because Andersen is playing out of his mind, and once again, they'll be easy first round fodder for literally any opponent (if they even make it).

Hell, if it was possible, I'm pretty sure this squad would lose a 7 game series to a bottom-feeding AHL team, likely after having a 3-0 series lead. And just to make things more upsetting for fans, they'd lose the series by blowing a 2 goal lead with 5 minutes left in game 7, with Andersen letting in the game winner from center ice with 15 seconds to go...

F*** this greedy, lazy, sack of crap team. Cleatus quits.

Reactions: The CyNick

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Good teams win, mediocre teams make excuses.

Fact is, most of this current iteration of Leafs are complete disgraces to the logo. Even if they turn things around, it'll only be because Andersen is playing out of his mind, and once again, they'll be easy first round fodder for literally any opponent (if they even make it).

Hell, if it was possible, I'm pretty sure this squad would lose a 7 game series to a bottom-feeding AHL team, likely after having a 3-0 series lead. And just to make things more upsetting for fans, they'd lose the series by blowing a 2 goal lead with 5 minutes left in game 7, with Andersen letting in the game winner from center ice with 15 seconds to go...

F*** this greedy, lazy, sack of crap team. Cleatus quits.

St.Louis must be the luckiest garbage team ever. Thanks for the amazing logic.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
No problem. Win or lose, St. Louis plays hockey like men, while the Leafs play like sparkly little fairy's with broken magic wands.

Okay, so a team that plays hockey like men were dead-last for the entire first half of last year and then man'd up even more in the 2nd half to make the playoffs and win the Stanley cup?

Wow! St.Louis fans must have been so calm and collective during the 1st half of the season knowing their team were playing hockey like men.

Reactions: Volcanologist

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Okay, so a team that plays hockey like men were dead-last for the entire first half of last year and then man'd up even more in the 2nd half to make the playoffs and win the Stanley cup?

Wow! St.Louis fans must have been so calm and collective during the 1st half of the season knowing their team were playing hockey like men.

Tell me, do you actually see this vegan muffin eating squad doing anything close to what St. Louis did last season? I mean, I'm sure they'll start playing better eventually, but in the end, we all know it'll just be for show, and that a meat and potatoes team like Boston will chew them up and spit them on a pile of mouse turds in the playoffs.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Things aren’t as bad as it looks if you factor in

- 4 B2Bs for the leafs in October
- Freddy letting in some soft goals (oct Freddy)
- not a healthy line up
- 8 or 9 new faces on the roster compared to last season i.e. large turnover
- new assistant coaches
- other factors

By Jan things should normalize across the league - that is - more parity.

It’s only 3 weeks into the season no need for panic just yet

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

horner

May 22, 2007
No we aren't as bad as we're saying
But
The have to come together as a team.
Barrie and Mathews getting hit at the Blueline and no response from one player is not a good sign.
Even going over to say a word to that player .
They all need to be committed fully or we will score goals make fancy player and get booted in the first Rd.

That is why Boston beats
Everyone of there players are committed to the team.
They salivate when they play us.

Islanders are committed 7 wins in a row.
Not the most talented team but a team first mentality.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
6-2-1 in games that Hutch hasn't been in(2nd game of the back to back).

That's why i'm not really worried about the team, but this was an awful schedule to have and the team really **** the bed for not addressing the backup problem.

Good to see some common sense in this gloomy thread

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
You know it’s funny. When things are going well for the Leafs, and there are main board threads made, suddenly there’s too many Leaf threads and it’s the worst thing ever.

Right now things are going relatively poorly, and you have a handful of threads, made by non-leaf fans, about negative Leaf topics, and not a peep about too many Leaf threads.

Interesting

Reactions: Menzinger and kb

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Things aren’t as bad as it looks if you factor in

- 4 B2Bs for the leafs in October
- Freddy letting in some soft goals (oct Freddy)
- not a healthy line up
- 8 or 9 new faces on the roster compared to last season i.e. large turnover
- new assistant coaches
- other factors

By Jan things should normalize across the league - that is - more parity.

It’s only 3 weeks into the season no need for panic just yet

there is still a ton of time but that “other factors”category really has me concerned.

PJ Stock on Leafs Lunch and the OD boys and Ray brought up the fact that the Leafs superstars are not as good as some other team’s superstars. They talked about how Crosby plays a complete game and how Bergeron is a complete player and how both compete at an extremely high level.
I’m not saying Auston Matthews can’t turn his game around and become what we hoped he would, but nobody can say that he’s as good as Bergeron. If he never gets there....that’s scary.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Tell me, do you actually see this vegan muffin eating squad doing anything close to what St. Louis did last season? I mean, I'm sure they'll start playing better eventually, but in the end, we all know it'll just be for show, and that a meat and potatoes team like Boston will chew them up and spit them on a pile of mouse turds in the playoffs.

Yes.

Just because you've become bitter about the team, doesn't mean others are.

You would have probably been one of the guys who called St.Louis a vegan muffin eating squad during the 1st half of the season last year.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
there is still a ton of time but that “other factors”category really has me concerned.

PJ Stock on Leafs Lunch and the OD boys and Ray brought up the fact that the Leafs superstars are not as good as some other team’s superstars. They talked about how Crosby plays a complete game and how Bergeron is a complete player and how both compete at an extremely high level.
I’m not saying Auston Matthews can’t turn his game around and become what we hoped he would, but nobody can say that he’s as good as Bergeron. If he never gets there....that’s scary.
Crosby is a rare breed.... Most elite level players it takes loosing for them to understand that it takes putting compete before your skill of the entire group for a team to contend for a championship. Gretzky and the mighty Oilers suffered playoff failors before they became a dynasty with the ever famous moment when they past the NYI dressing room that made it click for them for what it takes. Brett Hull 86 goal season was in large done by playing loosing hockey kind of with how Matthews trends to play like. It wasn't until Hitchcock got his hands on him and the desire to win over took the desire to score goals when he started playing winning hockey. Yzerman Bowman was about to trade him if he didn't change how he played and put compete before scoring goals. There's plenty more examples. It's Unfortunate but worth going through some loosing right now. It's the loosing that will change the top end of the roster to get into playing winning hockey.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

first comparison of matthews to crosby is not a fair comparison. Crosby is a generational talent, Matthews is a good player but he is far from generational -> at least from what we have seen.

Bergeron is a 200 ft player; Bergeron sacrifices quite a bit of offense to play very well defensively; there is a reason he is a selke candidate. matthews may get there but based on his play matthews is no where close to a selke candidate hell not even tavares.

problem is that when said players take lion's share of the cap they are expected to perform; take responsibility for on ice results and mitigate any risk of the positions that could not be filled because they took large share of the cap.

the question then becomes is that such a large share of the cap to both matthews and marner (and to some extent tavares+nylander) justified? If yes, then we need to see on ice results; if no then GM's allocation of cap to the said players have to be questioned.

But it is still too early IMO to question given the schedule; injuries to key players; B2B; not enough time for practice etc...

I think the November results for the entire month should paint a better picture than October. After November if we are still a .500 hockey club then some serious discussions regarding roster make up would have to be brought to the forefront.

If the key players that are taking a lot of the cap share are not going to compensate for other positional weaknesses then tough decisions would have to be made.

For Babcock; our best regular season was when JT was not part of the team - if am not mistaken that was the best regular season ever for the Leafs. It is the same coach; but the player personnel turnover from last season is huge - and this might take some time.

End of November should give us a decent sample of games and the on-ice results should dictate roster/management moves.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I actually do think things are very concerning. I don't care for the sample size argument here (which others have said stretches back into last season). The team is lacking real passion in their play at present.

Getting roughed up. No response.

Dubas needs to get on the phone because the makeup of the team is built for international hockey not NHL.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
At least things aren’t this bad , are they ?
upload_2019-10-28_16-4-51.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad