Are things as bad as we're saying?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
2 plays that stick out for me are when Tom wilson took a cheap shot at marner and when Auston took the high hit a couple of games ago.

In both situations not one leaf player stood up to protect our stars.

We are to soft. So much for dubas and his "diverse" ideology.

If we miss the playoffs, dubas needs to feel the heat.

Same last year....
McAvoy slamming Marner head first into the boards stands out as as does the several times Freddy has been run. One time he was going to chase the player( AZ IIRC) but he got away and I was hoping Freddy was going to two hand Hainsey who stood in the crease watching it all

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
The assignment was to show the last time a Leaf had a night like Eichel where "One game he had 4 points to lead the way to a win". It was Rielly with 4 assists in a come from behind win against the Wild.

You're subjective take on his performance has no bearing on the fact it occurred.

Was that the assignment. Seems to me the person who posted was saying that several games Eichel has put the team on his back. The poster gave an example in which Eichel had 4 points in a game, and from that you assume that simple point production in a game is what the poster was referring to.

Eichel has stepped up this season. He wants to win. None of the Leafs' stars have. If they want to win it doesn't look as though they are willing to do anything to do so - anything.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
How is it moronic? Why can't you just look at games played as well as points?

Seems pretty moronic unless you think that the Leafs' are going to continue playing 13 games for every 11 or 12 the rest of the teams' play for the rest of the season.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Seems pretty moronic unless you think that the Leafs' are going to continue playing 13 games for every 11 or 12 the rest of the teams' play for the rest of the season.

I don't understand the problem. Why can't you look at points and games played? It's not complicated.

Reactions: Buds17

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Was that the assignment. Seems to me the person who posted was saying that several games Eichel has put the team on his back. The poster gave an example in which Eichel had 4 points in a game, and from that you assume that simple point production in a game is what the poster was referring to.

Eichel has stepped up this season. He wants to win. None of the Leafs' stars have. If they want to win it doesn't look as though they are willing to do anything to do so - anything.
Matthews has taken significant defensive strides, to his credit. 1.71 xGA/60 is 6th best among forwards (min. 150 minutes), and his 59.5 xgf% is 4th best. Marner is at 2.27 xGA and 47.5 xGF% for reference, down from 52.8% last year. On the other hand, Matthews seems more consistently good at tilting the ice each game (other than when he got saddled with Marner) rather than being dominant and able to take over a game on given night. It's hard to say if it's better, but I like his effort and he did improve on his biggest weakness

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Andi Petrillo had to remind Bob MacKenzie about what type of toughness this teams needs. No just sticking up for each other like a normal team, but also to be physical enough to not allow easy goals like Rielly and Cecci did on Saturday.

*And Matthews the other night.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
As people are saying?

No.

The 6-5-2 Leafs would have a better record if not for injuries, a crazy tough schedule, underachieving special teams, massive turnover on the team and, of course, a 27th in the league 5v5 save %.

If your not talking about any of these as being an issue, it's a bit of a waste of time.

Reactions: Joey Hoser

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
As people are saying?

No.

The 6-5-2 Leafs would have a better record if not for injuries, a crazy tough schedule, underachieving special teams, massive turnover on the team and, of course, a 27th in the league 5v5 save %.

If your not talking about any of these as being an issue, it's a bit of a waste of time.

We have not won anything in the past 3 seasons for reasons that are beyond (though also including) all those areas you've suggested.

If you do not think that there is a systemic issue with Toronto, it's fans and how players play here...you've got your head in the clouds.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
How is it moronic? Why can't you just look at games played as well as points?

It's moronic that they do their standings based on points only. They should do their standings by PTS%, the way they do in the NBA and in MLB. I do look at games played myself, but some people don't and it's tiresome when people point the the official standings and say team A is ahead of team B based on those standings when team B clearly has the better record.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Only according to the official NHL standings which are moronic as the don't consider the number of games played. Just as one example, I think it's pretty obvious that TB has a better record than we do.

It's obviously near impossible to have all teams be level in GP at all times (even without factoring in the uneven number of teams). I likely wouldn't bet against Tampa collecting the points it needs to catch/surpass us when making up their games in hand, but it's not a certainty until it happens. Either way, playoff spots - or lack thereof - seem far too tenuous a topic at this time.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We have not won anything in the past 3 seasons for reasons that are beyond (though also including) all those areas you've suggested.

If you do not think that there is a systemic issue with Toronto, it's fans and how players play here...you've got your head in the clouds.

Lumping in those teams makes no sense. Three years ago was a great season. Two years ago was disappointing but not crushingly so. And there's a fair bit of turnover this season so that's yet another story.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
As people are saying?

No.

Ahh yes they'd be better IF......

Injuries - every team gets them
Crazy tough schedule - doesn't stop a team from showing up - excuse
underachieving special teams - same old story
Save % - is legit

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Honestly, has anyone else read this script?

Highly skilled player plays in Toronto, gets over paid based on lack luster performance...get's traded or rides out contract then wins somewhere else to prove their worth.

?

Anyone?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's obviously near impossible to have all teams be level in GP at all times (even without factoring in the uneven number of teams). I likely wouldn't bet against Tampa collecting the points it needs to catch/surpass us when making up their games in hand, but it's not a certainty until it happens.

Of course it's not a certainty that they catch us, the point is that it's also not certain that they don't so why not go with what is most likely? PTS% does exactly that which is why it makes more sense, and that's why that system is used by MLB and the NBA.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Lumping in those teams makes no sense. Three years ago was a great season. Two years ago was disappointing but not crushingly so. And there's a fair bit of turnover this season so that's yet another story.

Expect another large turn over next summer as well.

Which I guess is fine? We will likely have a frustrating season this year. However we have, as I have feared...become Chicago without the cup wins.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Matthews has taken significant defensive strides, to his credit. 1.71 xGA/60 is 6th best among forwards (min. 150 minutes), and his 59.5 xgf% is 4th best. Marner is at 2.27 xGA and 47.5 xGF% for reference, down from 52.8% last year. On the other hand, Matthews seems more consistently good at tilting the ice each game (other than when he got saddled with Marner) rather than being dominant and able to take over a game on given night. It's hard to say if it's better, but I like his effort and he did improve on his biggest weakness

I appreciate what you are saying, but at the same time Matthews is getting more than 77% OZ starts at 5v5 which is certainly skewing the results. Marner is also getting 74% OZ starts which shows just how bad his play has actually been.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Of course it's not a certainty that they catch us, the point is that it's also not certain that they don't so why not go with what is most likely? PTS% does exactly that which is why it makes more sense, and that's why that system is used by MLB and the NBA.

At the end of the season, playoff teams are dictated by points. There's no perfect method until then. MLB and NBA standings also use GB, for whatever difference that may be worth.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
On HF Leafs, things are never as bad or as good as the general opinion given here indicates.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Same last year....
McAvoy slamming Marner head first into the boards stands out as as does the several times Freddy has been run. One time he was going to chase the player( AZ IIRC) but he got away and I was hoping Freddy was going to two hand Hainsey who stood in the crease watching it all

I dont remember the mcvoy on marner hit but I'll take your word.

I vividly remember from last season watching kadri get mugged by 3 opposing players after the whistle and not one leaf skated over to help. Makes me sick. Do these guys not care about thier teammates? Or are they being told to do nothing?

Reactions: Luminiferous

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Maybe management should withhold a few of their paycheques and say "sorry, but we were too lazy to put in the effort to give your money".

Maybe that will light a fire under their azz

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
The last 2 years the Leafs flew out of the gate with the top guys putting up big points, running up scores in games and being untouchable on the power play. Then after the first month or so everything fell back to earth, points per game slowly dropped, teams adjusted to shut down the power play and after New Year’s last year it actually became more of a race to stay ahead of Montreal than to catch Boston.

This season they won’t have the luxury of having that cushion to fall back on in the home stretch of the season starting this way. On paper they should have taken it up another gear this season and it’s still possible but the team has been gutless so far and heads will roll eventually.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
At the end of the season, playoff teams are dictated by points. There's no perfect method until then. MLB and NBA standings also use GB, for whatever difference that may be worth.

It's equally true to say that at the end of the season, playoff teams are dictated by PTS% because at the end, PTS and PTS% converge.

MLB and NBA use GB (Games Behind) sure, and interestingly enough, team A can have more wins then team B, yet be say 1.5 Games Behind team B. What does that tell you? The answer is, that despite having less wins, team B has the better record.

MLB and NBA don't even have the concept of PTS, that's a hint as to how useless PTS are.

Reactions: Buds17

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
On HF Leafs, things are never as bad or as good as the general opinion given here indicates.

Really? Seems like things are usually that bad but by the time everyone gets hip to it a kind of resignation sets in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad