Are things as bad as we're saying?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
and the thing is i don't think people would be "coming at them like it's the end of the world." if they looked like they had some effort. they look kinda poop.

They look and play disinterested. The effort level is awful, there is no intensity to the game. It makes you think the team culture is tainted. They don't even stick up for each other and that's pretty much the death knell.

We got a bunch of really great players fast and overpaid them. Now we have an Oilers team. It's bad, Dubas screwed up giving them UFA money up front.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Everyone keeps blaming the schedule, injuries and th backup goalie. You still have your 2 supposed elite players. They should be carrying this team when these things happen.

Look at the Sabres, they have had a few games this season where their top player in Eichel has taken the team on his back. One game he had 4 points to lead the way to a win. When has Matthews or Marner done that.

Well that's a pretty specific example. But if you're ok with any of the top players leading the team to a victory....12 days ago

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/marne...ists-help-maple-leafs-down-wild-4-2-1.4640019

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Sometimes players can get a bunch of points in a game while being no more than decent. I have seen a number players take over games this year - not one was a Leafs' player. Not even close.

I realize it's early and fans don't want to give up yet. Isn't that what you are paying Matthews and Marner for. I have never seen 2 top players be so uninterested in playing hockey when they are payed to lead the team.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Sometimes players can get a bunch of points in a game while being no more than decent. I have seen a number players take over games this year - not one was a Leafs' player. Not even close.

The assignment was to show the last time a Leaf had a night like Eichel where "One game he had 4 points to lead the way to a win". It was Rielly with 4 assists in a come from behind win against the Wild.

You're subjective take on his performance has no bearing on the fact it occurred.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

That's what Stanley Cup champs do when one of their stars is bullied.

What do we do? We talk about it. We are progressive. "Dude apologize, you hit me in the head!"

f*** YOU DUBAS.

You gotta go, kid. This team he fielded is painful to watch. If we didn't trade away our first round I would hope that we miss the playoffs, but I don't think we are going to be bad enough to be a lottery pick this year.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Tough to see top players get drilled and noone even skates by them and chirps
We had someone, Matt Martin, but Babcock scratched him for 18 straight games, so the Leafs traded him back to the Islanders. Funny how a competent coach like Trotz knows how to use him and are now on a 7 game winning streak.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Marner the first game, Barrie the second game. After Petry hit Barrie, you could actually see him turn his head to see if/who is going to come after him (and the subsequent Matthews drive-by). I wonder what Petry would have to do for someone on the Leafs to even realize it and respond in some sort of capacity?
The night before, Matthews got clocked with a slightly high hit, and I don’t think anyone on the team even had their heart rate change (to be clear, not calling for Brenden Dillon or anyone to be jumped here, but some element of emotion would be nice to see). At a minimum, you can take a number and get the guy back at some point later in the game. For Petry in particular, that is two straight games taking a piece out of top-of-the lineup Leafs players. I don’t understand how Brendan Shanahan, of all people, stomachs this.

Toronto Maple Leafs Notebook: Is Mike Babcock to blame for a 6-5-2 start?

I've seen enough now to agree.

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010

That's what Stanley Cup champs do when one of their stars is bullied.

What do we do? We talk about it. We are progressive. "Dude apologize, you hit me in the head!"

**** YOU DUBAS.

You gotta go, kid. This team he fielded is painful to watch. If we didn't trade away our first round I would hope that we miss the playoffs, but I don't think we are going to be bad enough to be a lottery pick this year.

Sad to watch. You don’t have to be the biggest guy to stand up for teammates. Makes you think nobody on this team really cares for each other everyone plays for themselves

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It'd be great to see a better start, but it would still be just that...a start. There's at least a grip on a playoff spot at this way-too-early point of the season. About a quarter of the back-to-backs are over and done with. Injuries hopefully won't play too great of a factor going forward. Could be better. Could be worse. Would be good to see the better eventually win out.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Sad to watch. You don’t have to be the biggest guy to stand up for teammates. Makes you think nobody on this team really cares for each other everyone plays for themselves

Something I've been saying for a year now.

We are a collection of highly skilled talent that plays as individuals.

We will not win with this team.

These f***ing kids are just hear to collect a fat paycheck. They will walk after their contract is up and win elsewhere.

Does this not sound like a familiar f***ing script to anyone?

Players just come here, get paid to be shit then prove their worth elsewhere. And we get to fund this f***ing league like the joke of a fan base we are.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It'd be great to see a better start, but it would still be just that...a start. There's at least a grip on a playoff spot at this way-too-early point of the season. About a quarter of the back-to-backs are over and done with. Injuries hopefully won't play too great of a factor going forward. Could be better. Could be worse. Would be good to see the better eventually win out.

Ho do you figure that?

67leafs

Oct 17, 2019
we need one of our superstars to stick up for someone in a BIG way. Even if they lose the battle the team would take notice and start playing like they care about each other. If Mathews was on any other team Dillon or whoever rocked him last game would have been certainly attacked by somebody.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Andi Petrillo had to remind Bob MacKenzie about what type of toughness this teams needs. No just sticking up for each other like a normal team, but also to be physical enough to not allow easy goals like Rielly and Cecci did on Saturday.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
2 plays that stick out for me are when Tom wilson took a cheap shot at marner and when Auston took the high hit a couple of games ago.

In both situations not one leaf player stood up to protect our stars.

We are to soft. So much for dubas and his "diverse" ideology.

If we miss the playoffs, dubas needs to feel the heat.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
2 plays that stick out for me are when Tom wilson took a cheap shot at marner and when Auston took the high hit a couple of games ago.

In both situations not one leaf player stood up to protect our stars.

We are to soft. So much for dubas and his "diverse" ideology.

If we miss the playoffs, dubas needs to feel the heat.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I believe they're one of the eight playoff teams in the Eastern Conference currently?

Only according to the official NHL standings which are moronic as the don't consider the number of games played. Just as one example, I think it's pretty obvious that TB has a better record than we do.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Only according to the official NHL standings which are moronic as the don't consider the number of games played. Just as one example, I think it's pretty obvious that TB has a better record than we do.

How is it moronic? Why can't you just look at games played as well as points?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad