Are the Toronto Maple Leafs Stanley Cup contenders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I think they should probably fire the Coach mid-season and then publicly strip John Tavares of the 'C' announcing that they have been unimpressed by his leadership and don't believe he is at this point fit to go forward as the Leafs captain. Leave the 'C' vacant the rest of the season.

They need to do something to wake the team up. Nylander seems happy to get his money, Matthews is happy that he'll make more than McDavid next season, Mitch Marner is a player that likes to win but doesn't hate to win and has always seemed content with how things go. A message should be sent, and Tavares is a good scapegoat while they are contractually hamstrung from trading away the golden boys.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Martin Jones has played relatively well for them this year since getting the call. Though he let in a stinker last night on the game winner. But the Leafs run with Woll in the playoffs.

This is Keefes last straw. If he doesn't get this team to the ECF at the minimum, he's gone in the summer. He's not particularly a great coach in the playoffs.
If Keefe is still here in the summer chances are they've missed the playoffs.
Team is in desperate need of a coaching change.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Yeah, no idea what Jones was doing.

2 of the 3 goals he allowed were bad. Well actually, 3 of the 4 goals he allowed were bad but luckily Hyman was too dumb to clear the zone forcing himself offside for no reason.

Jones is going to cost the Leafs series in the playoffs letting in back breaking goals. Woll needs to come back asap.

If Keefe is still here in the summer chances are they've missed the playoffs.
Team is in desperate need of a coaching change.

Keefe is Todd McLennan of the East. Great regular season coach but not very good in the playoffs. Put someone like Peter Laviolette behind the bench and I bet they win a cup within the next 3 years. I was shocked he got another chance this past summer.

Reactions: ACC1224

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Mental issues? Aka he sucks just like Campbell. He was the starter.

The Leafs have been very lucky with Robidas island cap savings and still suck.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Mental issues? Aka he sucks just like Campbell. He was the starter.

The Leafs have been very lucky with Robidas island cap savings and still suck.

Samsonov was the starter until he sucked. Just like Campbell was the starter in Edmonton until he sucked. Both cleared waivers and went to the minors.

The difference between the Leafs and Edmonton is Skinner is healthy while Woll is injured. I bet the Oilers season looks a lot difference if Skinner was injured.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Their starting goaltender is injured, Samsonov is having mental issues which is forcing them to play their third string goaltender.

Edmonton is the least injured team.
Leafs only lost because:

Bad goaltending
Edmonton is less injured
Skinner got hot at the right time

Am I missing any? I only had time to look through two pages of your posts

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Leafs only lost because:

Bad goaltending
Edmonton is less injured
Skinner got hot at the right time

Am I missing any? I only had time to look through two pages of your posts

Leafs were playing their third game in 4 nights. Edmonton was at home - the Toronto boys aren’t used to -40 weather.

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy and PuckG

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Leafs were playing their third game in 4 nights. Edmonton was at home - the Toronto boys aren’t used to -40 weather.
Fourth excuse. Care to go for 5?

Are these all applicable to the 3 choked games before yesterday as well or will you provide separate rationale for that?

Reactions: DustyDangler

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Fourth excuse. Care to go for 5?

Are these all applicable to the 3 choked games before yesterday as well or will you provide separate rationale for that?

It takes a lot of things to go wrong for Edmonton to beat Toronto.

They haven’t won a season series against the Leafs in like 20 years. 2003 was the last time the Leafs had a losing record against Edmonton.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Leafs should take a chance and pay whatever the asking price is for Elvis Merzlinkins. Cup or bust this year.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Toronto was more intimidating in past seasons

They were such a strong possession team that wore on you offensively.
It was wave after wave

Their neutral zone play has tanked
They are in the bottom quarter of the league on odd man rushes against

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015

They haven’t won a season series against them in like 20 years. 2003 was the last time the Leafs had a losing record against Edmonton.
I’d lean into that too given the current state of your team. Congratulations.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I’d lean into that too given the current state of your team. Congratulations.

You guys are celebrating beating that team while they were playing their third string goalie in Edmonton so it can’t be that bad.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

They haven’t won a season series against the Leafs in like 20 years. 2003 was the last time the Leafs had a losing record against Edmonton.
Hey so if Edmonton wins the season series this year they’ll tie the Leafs playoff record in that same timespan, nice

Aug 3, 2021
Are you saying there is something wrong with this defence?

gebp_dlaqaa6sij-jpg.805058
Don't act like they weren't using patented Oilers D™ strategy

j5w8RUl.jpg

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
You guys are celebrating beating that team while they were playing their third string goalie in Edmonton so it can’t be that bad.
We’re celebrating beating a team with fans that seems to toss bull**** excuses at the wall every time their team loses. The same fans who will sling mud at Oilers fans or any other fanbase when they’re in the trenches.

But the excuse route makes sense. No accountability with the team or the fans apparently.

And just to be clear, was your first string goalie a better option? :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad