Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] D Artyom Levshunov signs ELC with the Blackhawks (3 years, $975k AAV)

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He’ll spend the season in the AHL, but nice to have clarity.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Rockford is going to be stacked on blueline as Hawks will only have one spot open for kid in top 6

So KK + Kaiser compete for NHL spot (Crevier and Phillips compete for #7 likely unless another vet dman is signed for that role)

Lev + KK or Kaiser + Del Mastro + Allan as top 4 in Rockford and one of Phillips or Crevier on bottom pairing (Or both)

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Why is everyone confident that he's AHL bound? Not questioning the idea, merely curious. I don't know enough about the Hawks or about Levshunov. Is he not NHL ready? Or is there simply no space for him in the lineup for the upcoming season?

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
Why is everyone confident that he's AHL bound? Not questioning the idea, merely curious. I don't know enough about the Hawks or about Levshunov. Is he not NHL ready? Or is there simply no space for him in the lineup for the upcoming season?
He is still a raw talent so needs polishing. Also spots on the team are limited and there are other prospects probably a little further along the curve than Arty. He'll start in the AHL unless dominating camp and exhibition games.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Love it. He was a beast in college last year. AHL should be good for him. Wouldn’t be shocked if he’s on CHI by the end of next season. Kids that good.

Reactions: HawksDub89

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019

Kyle Davidson (our gm) has indicated they want him in the ahl.

Frankly, it’s a much better developmental path than another year at MSU. They can control the system he plays in, the minutes, where he plays in the lineup and such.

I’ll be shocked if he plays anything more than a couple games at the NHL level. He could spend a season and a half in Rockford.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Frankly, it’s a much better developmental path than another year at MSU. They can control the system he plays in, the minutes, where he plays in the lineup and such.

I’ll be shocked if he plays anything more than a couple games at the NHL level. He could spend a season and a half in Rockford.
He'll play 9 NHL games this year

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

You are also weighing in his readiness for pro hockey vs NCAA. Plus, you trust your coaching staff more than the one at Mich St. Sorenson has been the HC at Rockford since 21/22 and was an assistant before that. Plus the other key coaches are the one that handles the D deployment and skills development.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

Rockford is going to be stacked on blueline as Hawks will only have one spot open for kid in top 6

So KK + Kaiser compete for NHL spot (Crevier and Phillips compete for #7 likely unless another vet dman is signed for that role)

Lev + KK or Kaiser + Del Mastro + Allan as top 4 in Rockford and one of Phillips or Crevier on bottom pairing (Or both)
I assume by KK you mean Korchinski? Is there actually a chance he starts in the AHL after spending all of last season in the NHL?

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
I don't see it with this guy. Great tools, but capable of processing the game as a 1D?
That was the source for a lot of heartburn on our boards between the draft lottery and the draft. Plus there were lots of instances in video of “taking shifts off” which doesn’t fit the culture we are trying to build.

The counterpoint to all of this is pointing out how he rocketed up through multiple leagues and played well at every level I. A relatively short time.

We will see what happens

Reactions: AD1066

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I suppose he thinks he's reached the pinnacle of what he can learn at the NCAA level...but despite being able to take over and do things at will at that level from time to time, and an impressive "ready to graduate" looking statline, it seemed to me like there were still a few elements that could use some more polishing at that level.

I guess there's not necessarily a lot of harm in learning those things at the AHL level instead. He seems plenty physically ready for it, which is usually the biggest issue where prospects get into trouble or get "ruined" when they make the jump before they're physically mature enough to handle the game against a bunch of angry old men stuck riding busses instead of playing in the NHL.

Certainly seems rare to see defencemen jump straight out of the draft to North American Pro hockey though. Not unusual for top pick forwards...but there really is so much more development that is typically required of a defenceman to get to where they need to be to "survive" and start "learning on the job".

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I assume by KK you mean Korchinski? Is there actually a chance he starts in the AHL after spending all of last season in the NHL?

Hawk fans are divided on his development (I personally thought he was overall fine as rookie and showed alot of poise) and Davidson talked about how team rushed kids into roles they weren't ready for and thus why we signed so many vets this offseason

Hawks only have two spots potentially open now because of signings on D with one being #7 D

So, for that top 6 spot we will have some variation of this most likely

Vlasic-Jones
Martinez-Murphy
?-Brodie
(?)

Korchinski, Kaiser and Del Mastro all in camp fighting to win that spot open spot. I think Allan and Levshunov go to Rockford and one or both gets looks whenever Murphy gets injured (As he always does at some point)

The 2nd ? = 7th dman is probably between Phillips/Crevier as neither really has any more development left and are type of kids who won't be hurt sitting in press box eating popcorn for large chunks of year getting paid NHL salary

I liked what I saw for Korchinski overall but if Hawks feel he is better served starting in Rockford with bigger role for Hogs (Potential top pairing and top PP time or at least shared PP time with Levshunov) they will go ahead and do it and give one of the other kids first dibs this coming year

Hawks have a glut of young Dman now all who will be needing to establish roles in coming years

And Rinzel (2022 1st) is potential to join Hawks system as well late next season or during next offseason

Hawks D pipeline hasn't been this deep since early/mid 00's when we had Keith/Seabrook/Byfuglien/Hjalmarsson/Babchuk/Wisniewski/Barker/etc in pipeline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad